Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Exclamation Another New Vectra!

Found this in the new issue of auto express

Bold new Vectra to drive itself!

It's the car Vauxhall claims it doesn't want you to drive! Meet the sensational new Vectra, a machine the Luton manufacturer says will be the world's first driverless vehicle.

According to our spies, the revolutionary technology that's set to make this possible is called Traffic Assist, and is currently being developed at the firm's engineering centre at Rüsselsheim, Germany. Set to debut soon after the family car's launch in 2008, it uses lasers, a video camera and huge computing power to read the road ahead, spot warning signs, lane markings, bends and, most crucially, other vehicles.

The data is processed to control the engine, steering and brakes to keep the car a safe distance from the traffic. Flagship Vectras will get the system by the end of the decade. Rivals, including Honda, already have similar technology, although Vauxhall's Traffic Assist is thought to be the most ambitious set-up. And the innovation needn't end there. Parent company GM is researching special body panels which repair themselves after an accident.

The blemish-free bumpers are possible because of a special alloy, which expands when an electrical current is passed through it, heating it up. The expansion and then contraction of the panels as they cool removes minor bumps. Based on the Epsilon 2 platform, the new Vectra promises to be bigger and more practical than the current car.

The range will be wider, too, with high-performance four-wheel-drive variants under development. Penned by a team led by Bryan Nesbitt - who replaced stylist Martin Smith, now at Ford - the Vectra continues the design seen on the latest Astra and recently revealed Antara SUV. It's aimed at Ford's 2007 Mondeo, and will offer a fresh range of petrol and diesel engines, including an aluminium evolution of the 3.0-litre V6 CDTI oil-burner.

Set to be a 2.7-litre with at least 200bhp, this unit is being developed alongside a new 2.8 V6 petrol to power flagship saloons and hatches.

Yet the future looks less rosy for the Signum. It's tipped to be quietly dropped in favour of the Future Large Vehicle - an all-new crossover revealed in issue 871

Now that looks effing nice!, like the idea of self repairing panels as well, can't see that making the final production model though, it would mean too much money lost through the repairs network....or am I being cynical

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Graeme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

mmm sounds nice though auto express are notorious for their BS and sodgy photoshopping. Loks ok though

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I know what you mean Graeme, but they have been covering Vx a lot just lately what with the launch of the new frontera, and they were spot on with the facelift.
    There's also some other images in the mag as well, and I must say if they have p'shopped it then Vx should employ them to design all their cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by ABYSS
    Now thats looks gorgeous... Hurry up Mr Postman with my copy of Auto Express!!
    Anyway, ill sit here patiently for the posty.......
    Got mine this morning

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

With my posty i cant work out if hes late for today, or extremely early with 2moros post.... Hope that makes sense
    LMAO

Probably a bit of both Andrew

On a serious note though, if Vx do bring this out as the veccy D and as long as the overall shape doesn't change to much, this would definately tempt me to trade my beloved 'C' in.

Just realised......that means we're going to have to change our name again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Id have to agree with you Keith, im personally not impressed enough with the facelift to go out and buy one, if this is the New Vectra D well it would be a case of goodbye "C"..

Postman's just been....

Its absolutely gorgeous, as youve said keith there is a couple of more photo inside and well... mmmmmmmm It looks a bit like the "Insignia" concept car that Opel showed a while ago.
    I'll have to agree with you there Andrew, it does a bit.

Have you read the rest of the article? it say's the Signum is being discreetly dropped.....how they are going to "discreetly" drop something with an 4rse that big is anyone's guess

*Awaits a tirade from big Dunc*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme
    though auto express are notorious for their BS and dodgy photoshopping.
    This is so true. I hardly ever buy it now, because so many of their articles fail to materialise. Even when they actually test drive a car the way the car is described seems a bit vague, as if they've not really driven it, but are retelling someone else's account of the experience.

One pic that was rather annoying was the "Cosworth Focus" that was just Ford's recent press pic of the '06 rally car with the sponsor stickers airbrushed off!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

And even a mention in the subaru story of a "twin turbo V6 diesel to be used in top end Vauxhalls" mmmmmm
    I was under the impression that GM sold off their share of Subaru earlier this month (I believe it was to Toyota) to raise revenue. If this was the case, it seems a bit strange that they'd have a shared engine agreement, unless this was brokered as part of the sale?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you had bothered to buy the magazine you would of been able to read the whole article
    Quote Originally Posted by simonali
    I hardly ever buy it now, because so many of their articles fail to materialise.
    I'll give it a miss, thanks all the same. Prefer Autocar, due to the articles being based mostly on fact, not fantasy.

I don't doubt that there will be a Vaux with a twin turbo diesel lump at some time in the future, but was merely questioning the Subaru link.

And what's with the bold font? It's considered bad forum etiquette to type in caps or bold, where I come from. It's akin to shouting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I used to subscribe to Auto Express. I was chucking out all my back isues recently and had a flick through them. The amount of 'scoops' on forthcoming cars that never materialized was unbelievable. Made me realise why I stopped getting it!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information