Thread: chain rattle back

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default chain rattle back

hi i have a vectrs c 2.2 sri 52 plate petrol, it had what i thought was a timing chain rattle,im no expert, so booked it into the dealers, and yes they said its the chain!! so got the phone call the cars ready, paid the bill
    £538,, even tho they quoted me £420 inc vat over the phone, they said they had to replace an engine mount, and new nuts/studs to the exhaust, i said you should have phoned me first before you done the extra work, he just blanked me and said its done now, anyway got in started it up and the same rattle is still there, and on top of that my engine management light was on, this random bloke plugs it in the the computer, and says your lamda sensor's away, you need a new one, aftar a heated talk, i looked under the boonet, just to find they didin't even reconnect it back up, so i said to him the rattle is still there.but was told all 2.2's rattle like this, is this true, seems to be coming from the bottom half of the engine, tick over and worse when driving it, should i take it back and kick up a fuss even more, or do the 2.2's rattle,cold and hot, any info would be great

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Dont know much about the 2.2 but im sure its not ment to rattle, I'm not sure if you have to pay either because they didn't inform you of the work they were going to carry out.

This is the reason i never use dealers or garages as they always try and rob you with their bull****.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

Well if it was me i would be straight back to the dealers with an extremely long object ready to insert it into the nearest orifice i could find on the service manager!
    They should NEVER fit anything or do any work over what has been quoted without informing you and getting your ok first
    The attitude of the service desk is totally out of order too. you would have been within your rights to have refused to pay the extra as a quote is just that. A QUOTE TO DO THE JOB!!! An estimate is a different matter.
    The 2.2 should not rattle and as for the sensor being unplugged...................well m8, that just goes to show the level of incompetance you are dealing with

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i agree
    in the end i was really thinking well if i get my car back without that rattle,that will do for me and never go back to th dealers, but as it is is still there, one local garage said to take off the rubber belts then run it to see if theres a noisey air con pump or alternator, anything is worth a try at this stage..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have a 2.2 direct and although i wouldn't say it has a very loud rattle it is quite a noisy engine especially at the higher rev range and its done 11000ish miles and less than a year old.

Try taking it to a local garage and just get their opinion on the noise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Grand Sport

Trim : SRI VX-LINE NAV

Engine : 1.5T (165)

Year : 2018

Mileage : 37000

Agree entirely with both Caterman and Mark.

My car a 2.0T has a timing chain, which was replaced 3 months ago. I wasn't that aware of a rattle before they changed it, but it seems it was responsible at least for some of the cold-start noise I was experiencing. Quiet as a mouse since.

It seems ridiculous that a newly- fitted chain should rattle and to suggest that they all do it is hogwash.

I have had the same 'they all do it/it's a feature/it's quite normal' bull$hit, as have many on this forum no doubt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the 2.2 i've just bought the MiL is chain noise free.... they've really got it wrong if it still rattles, did they change both chains?...i.e. the balancer shaft one as well??.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi mate, I've got a 52 plate 2.2 sri like yourself and mine doesn't rattle! That's really poor service like Caterman said, it really isn't on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

throw it back at them and tell them that you want the job correcting properly....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

im gonna go back up this week, don't even want to start it it up right now, every time i turn the key i grit my teeth and hope for the best, i know what they will do, put the noise down to something else, and charge me again, they must have knowing when they put the chain kit on,then started it up, it was not right,i mean theres nothing i can think of that would make that sort of rattle and for £538 i'll be camping out at there front door...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information