Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Building Advice

Looked at a house we are interested in tonight, but we have a cunning plan to turn part of a bedroom in to an ensuite.

Now - in order to do this - we would have to remove part of a wall which seperates bedroom 1 and 2 - the wall between the two bedrooms has the chimney breast in the middle of it - and I want to remove part of the wall to one side of the chimney breast. I forgot to tap the walls to see if they were stud or solid, anyone know what the likelyhood of this wall being loadbearing?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hiya mate..
    I once did something simlar. I was the same as you, unsure if the wall was load bearing or not...but I had a cunning plan i rang a builder up to give me qote to do the job..he came round checked which way the floorbards ran etc..
    Then he told us it wasn't load bearing and that he would charge us £700.00
    to do the job I rang him a fews days later after i had removed the wall and told him that I've had a cheeper quote and that he wouldn't be getting the job..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You need to look in the loft to see if the wall continues up to the underside of the roof, or whether it stops level with the loft floor. Whilst you're there you can check the direction of the ceiling joists - if you've got any! If your roof is made up of trusses, these will be used in lieu of ceiling joists.
    Assuming the chimney continues through the loft space in isolation, the wall you want to remove stops just above the bedroom ceiling and the roof is trussed construction, then:
    If it's a stud wall, you can go straight through it, but if it's brick or block (even lightweight blocks, it can be removed flush with the bedroom ceiling, but if you want to form a doorway or similar, you will need a light concrete lintel (very cheap really) over the opening.
    Most likely to be a stud wall anyway, but fingers crossed!
    Hope that helps,
    Doug

Norfolk 'n Good Drives : Signum 3.0 CDTi BHP : 229.8 Torque 344.9lb
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

cheers - I have a feeling its gonna be a load bearing or chimney supporting wall - I might be struggling with removing it. It might be worth a second visit to confirm it though.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

at last, a question in my field of expertise.... im an architect

What doug said isnt strictly true. A load bearing wall can go either through the roof or stop at the cieling level. It all depends on the roof construction.

which way is the wall in relation to your front and back of teh house? If it split the house in half, front to back then its most likely load bearing as it serves as a mid point for the roof structure to rest on. If it splits it side by side, then it MAY be non loadbearing, although not always, as some house get strength from bracing walls like this. If its stud work, then go for you life, it wont have any affect. If its brick or block then just go careful. If it carries on up onto the first floor, i'd be edging towards it being loadbearing. Even if it doesnt, it may still be taking the ends of the first floro joists. So..my short answer is without taking up floorboards etc you cant really tell.

IF its brick or Block it doest make much difference if its load bearing or not, your still going to need a lintol inserting. A builders job as it requires the wall above to be propped while you insert the lintol.

Your also going to need building regs as any structural change requires building regulation approval. Even rewiring in your new light fittings requires building reg approval now.

Norfolk 'n Good Drives : Signum 3.0 CDTi BHP : 229.8 Torque 344.9lb
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Even rewiring in your new light fittings requires building reg approval now.
    Good ole part P !!

I'm in the right field, but never did structural engineering - so I'm hazy when it comes to these matters,

The wall does run at the midpoint, but not over the entirity of the house as the stairwell bisects it. But the wall is duplicated on both floors.

This is the property,
    Dont laugh at the carpets - that would be the first job

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=1&tr_t=buy

but its the same layout on the floor above - as to this picture.

And I want to remove the wall that is behind the fireplace - in the recess on the floor above.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

it looks like a 1970's built house? in which case im guessing that the middle wall wil be Blockwork. Unless its stud, (which i doubt) your gonna need a lintol. Other than that, i would say you'd be ok to take it down, but make sure you have something to bed the end of the lintol onto. ie make sure it will slide into the chimney wall.

EDIT - just thought. Make sure you leave a nib on the adjoining wall to you neighbours. If you bed the end of the lintol into that wall (the party wall) then you will need a party wall agreement too.

Thread Information