Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Best tyres for 2.0T SRi

Morning!

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but can anyone recommend the best tyres for my 2.0T SRi?

I did see someone suggesting 215/45 R17 Eagle F1's, however the tyres on the car are 215/50 R17's. (The NCT standard ones).

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but if I went to a 215/45 tyre, would this affect my speedo and odometer? Also any notable changes to handling or ride? (as in better handling but harder ride?)

Also, would I need to get all 4 changed at once?

There does seem to be more variety in tyres with the 45's!

Thanks for any help you can offer and best regards,

Phil

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i went for Pirelli P7. They wer £104 a corner, but I like them (215/50/17)

You can have 225/45/17 or 215/50/17

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Phil, you want to get 225/45/17's, and the Eagle F1's are very popular on here. Good comprimise of performance, cost, and wear.

Mine are lasting 20000 miles easily.

Oh and just get two for now, put them on the back, when the fronts wear down replace them too.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I used http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/ they seem to be the cheapest out there

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It would be a 225/45 you'd want to go to, not a 215/45. The 225/45 opens up a much bigger range of tyre choice and are a bit cheaper as it's a much more common size.

The difference in overall rolling radius is within a couple of %, so no real issue with speedo. You 'may' notice an ever so slight difference in ride (harder) due to the lower profile (can't say I did when I switched and that's running with Irmscher suspension) and the handling again maybe a slight improvement due to the shallower sidewall and less tyre movement.

If you only wanted/needed to change two initially then you could. There's lots of different opinions on whether you should put them on the front or back - personally I think the back would be the better option.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Guys

Thanks for all the quick responses. My previous car was an old Vectra B so I just used to get the cheapest ones I could and not worry about it, now though if I'm spending around £100 per tyre I thought I would do a bit of research.

I was just baffled how you can use a 225/45 R17 instead of a 215/50 R17 but sounds like it's working for people here pretty well.

You're right it is the back that have worn first, so you'd advise going for 225/45's on the back now then when the front ones go, same on them too?

Thanks again for your help, it's really appreciated!

Best regards,

Phil

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by phil79 View Post
    Guys

Thanks for all the quick responses. My previous car was an old Vectra B so I just used to get the cheapest ones I could and not worry about it, now though if I'm spending around £100 per tyre I thought I would do a bit of research.

I was just baffled how you can use a 225/45 R17 instead of a 215/50 R17 but sounds like it's working for people here pretty well.

You're right it is the back that have worn first, so you'd advise going for 225/45's on the back now then when the front ones go, same on them too?

Thanks again for your help, it's really appreciated!

Best regards,

Phil

Up to you. If you change from 215/50/17 to 225/45/17 the car speedo will be 1.9% too fast. i.e. when it reads 60mph on your speedo you will actually be doing 58.8mph

The tyres fit the rims for both widths. I kept with stock size tyres. 225/45 will have a bigger range of tyres. HOWEVER, some companies will not change the profile of the tyre, i.e. if you currently have 215/50 they will not change to 225/45.

up to you really.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by korlinski View Post
    HOWEVER, some companies will not change the profile of the tyre, i.e. if you currently have 215/50 they will not change to 225/45.
    That's true, if they think it's a profile that isn't suitable for the car - however the 225/45 is one that is listed by Vx as an alternative. It's stated clearly in the handbook so if any fitter was reluctant to change, they'd just need to be shown that.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That's great, I guess if Vx approve it, they're cheaper and offer more grip it's a no-brainer really.

Also good maths Korlinksi! That 1.9% might just save me from a speeding ticket

Thanks again for all your help!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I thought I would post an update after changing the tyres in case anyone else is in the same boat. In the end all four were pretty near to legal, so I decided to go with 225/45 17's. As per a number of posts, you can get a lot more variety at much better prices.

I opted for 4 Goodyear Eagle F1's and got them from my local Vauxhall dealer for £88.39 each inc. VAT, all in.

There was barely any noticable difference in looks between these and the previous 215/50 17's, perhaps they don't quite fit the wheel arches as much, but at the same time have a slightly more purposeful appearence.

There is very little noticable difference in ride quality, possibly a very slightly firmer feel, the bumps in the road are possible a tiny bit more noticable, but if you're at all a keen driver, you'll really notice the difference in grip which easily overcomes any minor increase in ride firmness.

Going from well worn NCT5's to Eagle F1's has really upped the grip, a whole lot more than I thought would be possible. After a few hundred miles to let the lacquer on the tyre wear off, I tried my local 'spirited driving' roundabout where you can keep accelerating to explore the limits of grip, before levelling out at a 'sensible' speed. The F1's have upped the speed at which the car is on the limits of grip by a good 25%, literally I can go round the same roundabout, 25% quicker than previously on the NCT5's and that's just impressive.

The car feels a lot more glued to the road, less fuss and squealing when you push it, and you can push it a whole lot more.

Anyone worried about chaning from 215/50's to 225/45's - honestly, go for it.

I had the option of buying NCT's for £150 each, or F1's for £88.39 each, the latter of which are a performance tyre rather than a 'green' MPG enhancing tyre and I can say offer a hell of a lot more to the keen driver.

(For the frugal / tree huggers out there I've not noticed any increase in fuel consumption either!)

I hope this helps you if you're wondering whether to take a punt on making the swap. Getting on for half the price and getting much better performance seems a no brainer to me!

Regards,

Phil
    Last edited by phil79; 14th October 2007 at 14:41. Reason: Dodgy spelling!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information