Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default URGENT ADVICE NEEDED! Tech 2 hasn't worked and costs rising

Hope someone here can advise.

Have a 2004 3.0 cdti, which has ocasionally gone into limp mode when I put my foot down in 3rd/4th gear at about 3000 to 3500 revs, recently been happening about once a week.
    It has been making me nervous about overtaking as you start thinking will it won't it.
    Happend yesterday so phoned the local dealer to get it booked in which is where it went this morning.

Phone call from dealer at 10am they've had Tech 2 on it and it can't identify the problem from the code logged.
    The code is "0102 B3592 - Wide ranging trouble code - car key inop signal high voltage & low voltage"
    They advised they havent seen this before and it doesn't identify what the problem is (cost for tech 2 is £41.15 they have done it half price for me).
    They proposed having to do a manual check with their resident experienced auto electrician with a 2 hour minimum charge of £164, but advised if it takes longer this price wouldn't rise. Hopefully during this check they would discover the problem and advise if it needed any parts or if it is a software problem they would be able to rectify it.
    Aprehensively agreed so its now costing £200 and to diagnose and possibly repair plus parts.

15 mins ago got the call I didn't want - they couldn't find anything on the manual check so took the car for a 10mile test drive with tech 2 plugged in still nothing showing up, their experienced engineer puts these symptoms down to the Mass Air Flow meter (I take it this is the MAF from the air box), a replacement one is £205 BUT this might not be the problem.
    At the moment I owe £205 for the testing plus a further £205 should I want them to change the MAF. Don't know what to do.

Had a tuning box on the car and don't know if its a symptom of this (car has gone into limp mode both with box on and off).
    Also done the airbox mod and put K&N filter in which I've seen people on here mention they think they could damage the MAF, could this be proving them right. I don't think the dealers looked at the filter yet or they would probably blame that.

Someone help please, they're waiting on my call to instruct them on what to do next. Cheers.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I am debating taking out the K&N filter and putting in a standard vx filter, but if the MAF is damaged I suppose the same problem will still occur.
    Over £400 is a lot to pay for something that might be faulty and so is paying over £200 for a diagnosis that doesn't positively identify the problem.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think the probs with MAF are caused by over oiling the K&N when cleaning it. Have you cleaned the K&N? If so may well be that.

I had a limp mode issue with my 05 3.0cdti. This turned out to be the wiring loom for the box. When you have tried it without the box, have you also removed the wiring? If not defo give that a try first.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Can you borrow a MAF from someone?

I doubt the filter is making any difference to be honest. How old is the car exactly and how many miles? If it's only just outside of warranty then you could try going back to the dealers and talking to them. Often they'll help out if waranty has only just expired.

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My cars warranty ran out in May and it's been diagnosed with a faulty Mass Air Meter as well matey. Vx have agreed to cover 100% of the costs of a replacement.

Apparently there is a back log of Mass Air Meters as GM are experiencing a high demand (surprise surprise)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : SRi Nav

Engine : CDTI158

Year : 2012

Sorry can't help, but I know how frustrating this can be from another car I had.
    I haven't done the airbox mod personally, I tend to think it's one of those things best left alone. Maybe nothing to do with your fault, but who knows.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by AJA View Post
    My cars warranty ran out in May and it's been diagnosed with a faulty Mass Air Meter as well matey. Vx have agreed to cover 100% of the costs of a replacement.

Apparently there is a back log of Mass Air Meters as GM are experiencing a high demand (surprise surprise)
    Warranty ran out end of March - 3 months ago could be worth a try

Quote Originally Posted by wardy View Post
    I think the probs with MAF are caused by over oiling the K&N when cleaning it. Have you cleaned the K&N? If so may well be that.

I had a limp mode issue with my 05 3.0cdti. This turned out to be the wiring loom for the box. When you have tried it without the box, have you also removed the wiring? If not defo give that a try first.
    Nope, never cleaned the filter, fitted about 6 months ago done about 9,000 miles with it on.

Yep also removed the wiring loom and still had the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DNS View Post
    Can you borrow a MAF from someone?

I doubt the filter is making any difference to be honest. How old is the car exactly and how many miles? If it's only just outside of warranty then you could try going back to the dealers and talking to them. Often they'll help out if waranty has only just expired.
    Don't know about borrowing a MAF anyone in the N/W help out?
    Car is just over 3 years old, 55,000 miles on it. Will try talking to them with it just being out of warranty.

Thanks for the advice peeps, anyone got any other thoughts?

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Has the dealer mentioned the dreaded Swirl Valve to you matey. That's another big problem and causes the same symptoms you've described.

Do a quick search on here for 'Swirl Valve' and you'll see there's loads of threads on the subject.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Have you tried cleaning the MAF?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The swirl Valve isn't a common problem on a 3.0, just the 1.9 - as far as I know. Mine was doing what you said and it was a boost pressure sensor.
    If your car is only just out of warranty with a full uptodate service history then I would have thought VX would meet with some of the costs. They paid 60% on a claim for me a while back - 2003 model with 48k on the clock.

The more I read about these tuning boxes the better I feel about not having one, they seem to be a root to lots of trouble for a lot of people - but not all.
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information