Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 3.2 Signum Auto Box

Hi all
    I dont know if anyone can help......
    The 3.2 Autobox on the Signum will not select certain gears.
    Now I have been told that there is coolant in the box and this is causing
    the problem.
    Is this an expensive thing to rectify? Or does it b****r the box up.
    Any info would be appreciated.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    Hi all
    I dont know if anyone can help......
    The 3.2 Autobox on the Signum will not select certain gears.
    Now I have been told that there is coolant in the box and this is causing
    the problem.
    Is this an expensive thing to rectify? Or does it b****r the box up.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    this is a known fault,

Vectra C 2002 To 2004, Signum 2003 To 2004 - Engine Type: Z22 (SE - Vectra, YH - Signum), Z32SE, Y22DTR

AF23/33 Transmission - No Driving Torque Because Of Cooling Water In Transmission

Option: AF23/33 Transmission

In isolated cases the customer complains of a loss of drive and the following symptoms may be diagnosed:

- Failure codes P0700, P0715 or P0720 set
    - Slight loss of cooling water
    - Sediment in coolant expansion tank

This is caused by improper function of the seal ring at the oil cooler connection, which can cause the penetration of a small quantity of cooling fluid into the transmission oil.

An improved oil cooler / radiator has been introduced in production as of the following VINs:

Russelsheim - W0L0ZCF3541042598
    Ellesmere Port - W0L0ZCF6848035197

In case of customer complaint, rework vehicles as described in Customer Satisfaction Program 06-R-016 (Vectra-C, Signum - Radiator) and Special Policy Program 06-P-017 (Vectra-C, Signum - Transmission Ventilation Hose).

Additionally it is essential to perform the following action:
    - Clean oil cooler hoses by compressed air
    - Flush oil cooler with approximately 200 ml ATF
    - Coolant to be checked (e.g. ATF in coolant expansion tank) and to be replaced if necessary

Note: Please remove TSB 05-FR-27 from your records as it is no longer valid

TIS Number: E0001650

Go to your dealer and ask them to check if your vehicle will still be covered. You will need a new box, torque convertor and oil cooler. Hopefully as it is a known fault they should be able to help you out.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

they did our one for us under warranty Barney..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

this happened to mine, dealer replaced gearbox, i drove it home, (17 miles),
    drove fine when cold. when it was warmed up it drove terrible, searching for gears when changing up then banging in when it found one, slowing down was like hitting something at low speed, horrible, phoned them, bring it in they said, we'll have a look, took it back next day, fitter test drove it , could be oil he said, checked oil, oil o.k. phone call to vauxhall,
    15 minutes later i was told it needed new gearbox.
    it seems there is a batch of faulty af33s.
    from a run of 1000 boxes, 750 have gone wrong, at least that's what they told me.
    doesn't sound good if you have one of these boxes that is still running for now, if you have recently had a box changed it may be wise to check, especially if it feels harsh changing up, hangs on to a gear too long or slams in slowing down.
    the replacement seems to be fine, nice & smooth.
    the main pity is they never put a recall for the seals in the oil cooler/ radiator assembly.

it is a known fault, field remedy 1650 describes it in detail. they knew of this and took the gamble that most cars would suffer this problem after warranty ran out, or am i being cynical?
    i only found this out after fault showed following a chance discussion at the pub.
    amazing what you can learn in a pub, great places.

anyway the cost to me was £3,754.36p.

probably costs around £2 for new seals plus fitting. it would've been nice to have the choice presented before total failure of gearbox.
    it was a big decision whether to fix or otherwise, felt it was worth more to me alive than dead.
    any other country bar great B you seem to get a reduction as it's a know fault. soft johnny brit again.
    before you buy one of these auto's make sure the oil cooler seals have been replaced, if they cant say they have, don't buy it.
    i've had 2 auto's before this one, a renault 25, 180,000 miles, not a problem, 'til a recycling wagon decide to recycle the car, took the offside out. a renault safrane auto, 147,000, not a peep from the gearbox.
    these are cars with supposedly weak boxes, but gearbox oil cooler is seperate from radiator.
    vectra 2.2 dti 84,000 miles? gearbox drowned.
    what a design.
    what's the saying? oh yes oil and water don't mix!(not with af 33 anyway)
    broken front springs, both sides, airbag lights, ****e! this is a 4 year old car with service history!
    this is my first vauxhall, it will most likely be my last. no confidence in the brand at all now.
    nice car, shady customer service.
    dealer was fine btw.
    still leaves a bad taste.
    will be getting in touch with customer care for a discussion, don't hold out much hope though.
    any overtime going?
    sorry for the ramble, i'm still in shock.
    great site bty, even if i get rid of the car i will still visit.
    oh the horror!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm considering getting a Warranty Direct policy to cover this in the eventuality that my auto box suffers the same fate.

Is this definitely classed as a fault, and couldn't be dismissed by a warranty company as 'wear and tear?' I know they try the 'wear and tear' card quite frequently...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by newtovectra View Post
    this happened to mine, dealer replaced gearbox, i drove it home, (17 miles),
    it seems there is a batch of faulty af33s.
    from a run of 1000 boxes, 750 have gone wrong, at least that's what they told me.)
    I can personnaly say that is true.........we had a vectra come in begining of year with a failed auto box. replaced box and torque convertor test drove 10 miles all ok and gave it back to customer, customer got 6 miles and lost drive, car recovered to us & we found oil pouring from bell housing. removed box and checked, torque convertor fell out of box with input bearing and seal attached..........both badly overheated!! phoned vaux technical and told to replace box, torque conv & cooler. Renewed all and road tested............exactly 16 miles later.........recovered back to workshop(by this time i thought i must be doing something seriously wrong) removed box and checked again this time the torque conv was stuck solid to the box, same bearing failed again, phoned vaux technical again said there were no known faults that they knew of and to replace all parts again (all boxes under warranty are rebuilds) we asked if we could get a new box and were told NO!! we asked if we could get someone from vaux to check our 2 failed units but they insisted we try one more box................... well you can guess what happened at 16miles. Vaux came to inspect our 3 failed units and found that they had been rebuilt with inferior materials. We eventually got a brand new box.............. and its still driving

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

People seem to have allot of problems with their autoboxes for the vectra, Ive got a 3.0CDTI vectra with a 5 speed auto box in and it vibrates the whole car like hell in 5th at about 50-55 mph (or the rev band for that speed). Vauxhall had a look under warranty and said yes there is something wrong but we wont do anything till the car breaks down and we cant find the fault! (no tech 2 output). 3000 miles later im still getting a juddery ride. The question is if the vauxhall autobox is poor is there a 3rd party box replacment/upgrades etc that it can all be changed to e.g. one that last longer than 5 mins.??? and dont cost xxxxzillion pounds.

Do the Saabs have the same problems????

Got to say i wish id never bought this car now through annoyance and usless dealers/servicers in 3 differant dealerships. All i will say this is the first and last vauxhall i ever have.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by JoolsV6Elite View Post
    I'm considering getting a Warranty Direct policy to cover this in the eventuality that my auto box suffers the same fate.

Is this definitely classed as a fault, and couldn't be dismissed by a warranty company as 'wear and tear?' I know they try the 'wear and tear' card quite frequently...
    you could try and get a warranty, i'd be surprised if you would get one for this.
    it must be a known fault as there is a field remedy for it( no. 1650).
    it has been known for at least 3 years, it mentions cars from 02-04,
    they produced an uprated oil cooler for cars after
    vin no WOLOZCF3541042598 (RUSSELSHEIM),
    AND VIN No. WOLOZCF6848035197(ELLESMERE PORT).
    they knew. if your vin no. is after these you may be o.k. if it's earlier it may be worth your while getting this checked out.
    as i said in previous post i think vaux' hoped the majority would let go after warranty ran out rather than tell owners that there was a problem.
    a cheap fix has become a very expensive one for me, i'm not impressed.
    as i said i could just be cynical about this, it's hard not to be given what i've found out since fault happened.
    the simple fact is they knew and said nothing, unless it went wrong in warranty period. it was then a replace box solution, nothing less.
    it seems the wrong anti-freeze or seal material was used and it destroyed the seals to the gearbox oil cooler, the result is a drowned gearbox.
    if someone can tell me different i'd be glad to hear it.
    the info i received was that the NEW boxes with grey sealant seemed to be faulty,
    where that sealant is used i don't know, i didn't ask.
    the upshot is that i have no confidence in what could have been a nice car.
    what else is lying in wait that hasn't been mentioned.
    this is the first vauxhall i've bought, i don't think i'll be back for another.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenman View Post
    Do the Saabs have the same problems????
    Ive had 3 Saabs to date, and not 1 has ever had a gearbox or engine fault, i love em to bits

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

smug git!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast