Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Accident...

I hope someone can offer some advice....

Back in January this year my partner had an accident while turning right out of a junction. Her front wing collided with a lorry going from right to left. She admitted it was her fault and took full liability.

The police followed up their report a few weeks ago and didnít charge her for careless driving. Yet yesterday she got a solicitors letter from the company who owned the lorry asking for her to cough up. When she rang the company this morning a gentleman said the figure was in the 'thousands of pounds'... we both were stunned. The lorry drove away from the scene and it looked like to me that there was only front right bodywork damage......

The thing I'm most worried about is that the insurance company won't pay out as she didnít contact them straight away!!!!

Is there anyone out there who would have any suggestions?

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Why was there a delay in contacting your insurance company dude?

Did the lorry driver tell your wife he was going to make a claim or not?
    Last edited by AJA; 20th June 2007 at 14:28.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Steve even if the wife accepted it was her fault, the other driver should not have left the crash. You should stand up and say that the damage being claimed was not from the accident with the wife. The insurance company should stand by you cos he left, No evedence of the damage on the moment.
    I would not worry to much it's only a car and a truck and the wife is ok "i hope"

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Knowing that another vehicle had been damaged and also that the police had been involved, the Insurance company should have been informed immediately. This is probably why there was a direct letter to the owner instead of one to the insurers.

Is it too late to involve them now? I don't know, but surely someone else will....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Steve even if the wife accepted it was her fault, the other driver should not have left the crash. You should stand up and say that the damage being claimed was not from the accident with the wife. The insurance company should stand by you cos he left, No evedence of the damage on the moment.
    I would not worry to much it's only a car and a truck and the wife is ok "i hope"
    Is that "left the scene" as in drove off - or simply departed in a roadworthy vehicle after exchanging details?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by G.O'Rilla View Post
    Is that "left the scene" as in drove off - or simply departed in a roadworthy vehicle after exchanging details?
    The lorry left the scence on its own accord... so theere was no engine damage.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The whole point of third party insurance is that the insurance company pay the other parties losses.

An example is drink drivers involved in accidents. They will pay the other parties costs but not the D/Ds. I would suggest ringing your insurance company again. They may not pay your costs, but you shouldn't have to pay for the other parties damages.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi,

I gather your wife has not contacted her insurers at all to date - if this is the case then she should do so immediately, having thought exactly as to what she is going to say if and when they ask her why she has not reported the incident up until now.

Whilst it is a condition of an insurance policy that you notify them at your first opportunity of any incident, I believe that they cannot refuse to handle the claim even if it is reported late. The probable only exception to this is if the accident had previously been reported 'For information purposes only'.

I gather that when you say 'the wagon drove away' you mean that AFTER the police had attended, you just mean it was driveable. It may have been driveable but with regards to the damage the wagon suffered, this is up to the insurers to justify and/or dispute. They may be trying to rip the insurers off, they may not. Most people on here know how much it can cost for a car (like a Vectra) to be repaired through insurance if it needs a new bumper, bonnet and wing (even from a light knock), so god knows how much it would cost to do similar on a wagon!!!! And, if its off the road for a week whilst being repaired, how much would the potential loss of earnings and/or replacement hire for that wagon be?

Once your insurers have been notified of the claim, just pass any correspondance onto them as soon as you get it and leave them to sort it out, thats what it is there for after all. Doesnt matter to you whether they pay £500 or £5000 for the damages to the wagon etc it will count exactly the same in respect to any NCB or potential lives lost in respect of Prtoected NCB (if applicable).

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The same thing happened to me last year. I pulled out not seeing a car coming. My fault, admitted liability. Then 6 months later i got a letter from the 3rd party solicitors asking me to pay compensation to the other party. I rang up the 3rd party solicitors told them to contact my insurance company because that is what i pay insurance for. Told them i'm not paying anything out of my own pocket. Not heard from them since. Think they were just trying it on, see if they could get money out of me.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

as long as no ones injured you dont have to wait for police, you just have to give your details to anyone who has reasonable grounds to ask for them ie vehicle owner, land owner if property damaged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information