0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Spanner light whilst driving with Caterman box fitted

Fitted the fabled "Caterman box" to my 150 Zafira and then set off cross France for our hols. Fully loaded, roof box, wife, kids, bikes on the back etc, car felt good and strong on the autoroute. Once down in the South out came all the stuff and the real increase could be felt... Cool....

'Bout a week into the holiday had a little "play" with a bloke in a 206. All was good until I slowed down a bit 30-40 miles later when the car dropped into limp home mode and the spanner warning light came on. Pulled over and fiddled with the connections a bit, I hadn't removed the tabs under the plug when I'd fitted it so thought that might be the problem. No joy, warning light stayed on, stayed in limp home mode too. Finally took the box off. Warning light stayed on but went back to (semi) full power.

Guessing that the warning light would stay on until reset at the stealers back at our villa I removed the extra lugs on the plug and tried refitting it. No joy... Dropped straight back into limp home.

Anyway 2 days later the warning light went out of it's own accord. Ever the optimist I refitted the box and no problems since...! 1000 miles since and although I watch for the light religiously no problems...

My first thought was a dodgy connection caused by the plug not fitting properly but a bit of work with the leatherman seemed to sort that. Now I'm left with the DPF regenerating and not being happy with the extra fuel the box was pumping through? I did tell T-Tuning about the DPF but I guess it's possible I was sent the wrong one.

Opinions please?

Ta.
    Last edited by FiscusFish; 12th June 2007 at 11:49.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

|'d check they have sent the right one, as i wonder if the long run has upset the DPF and it's regeneration cycle?..worth an email if you ask me..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is similar to what happened to me, though the spanner only stayed lit and in Limp mode for a minute or so.

After and engine restart the spanner only reappears on ignition, to notify a fault occurred at some point but not anymore.

Strangely my fault occurred when driving sedately (65mph on motorway) and not when giving it stick!

I went to get the fault read today but the stealers were a few men down so going back on Friday.

I think its the DPF. I didn't tell T-Tuning about the DPF as I only found out after I got the box I have one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try disconnecting the battery for 15 mins so the ecu enters learn mode then drive with the box on again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will the ecu eventually learn the new settings even if you don't disconnect the battery?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a similar problem on a recent trip to Weymouth, 5 miles from home after a
    spell of brief hard acceleration spanner light came on, engine in limp home mode,
    turned off engine then restarted all o.k. 10 miles further on same again this time
    spanner light would'nt go out so I removed the box all o.k. since refitted the box
    and it seems o.k. but have yet to give it some stick!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strangely enough, I've experienced a similar problem as Marky above, my spanner light comes on when cruising sedately and not at all when "driving"! I've got a CRD Powerclick (Cheers Doc - it rules!) box and it's been hassle free for a few weeks & 2-3000 miles. I pulled the box off yesterday, but the car was still doing it all the way up the M5 - a quick flick of the key to pos 1 and back on resulted in the fault being reset - until the next time I was cruising along. Therefore, it aint the box...

On the way back home, it didn't go into limp once. Again, I was on the motorway, so same conditions, just slightly warmer outside. I even tried cruising slowly to get it to happen again, but nothing. I can't see it being the DPF as 80-90% of my mileage is motorway / open road. I used the car last night again - no problems???

Any ideas what could be causing it? I couldn't be bothered to go to the stealers and pay them money in the hope they can dig some info up.

PS - the car feels rubbish without the box!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robzc View Post
    I can't see it being the DPF as 80-90% of my mileage is motorway / open road. I used the car last night again - no problems???
    It could still be the DPF as from what I've heard (and I'm not an expert on this) the best way to clear out the DPF is to give the car a good drive! Therefore its sounds as though its more likely to clog up on steady driving???

And looking at all the people with similar issues they seem to all have been on a long drive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I know, the DPF is a lot more likely to clog up when stationary / driving slowly around town, open road driving clears it. The manual recommends driving above 25mph to clean it out, it will also flash the PreHeat light while it is cleaning - that's apparently the same light as the glow plug light. Mine has never flashed. I haven't used my car today yet, but I'm going out at 3, I'm hoping it doesn't go to limp mode again & I can write it off as being "just one of those things"!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I know, the DPF is a lot more likely to clog up when stationary / driving slowly around town, open road driving clears it. The manual recommends driving above 25mph to clean it out
    Ooo, not noticed that in my manual, I'll have a look later.

, it will also flash the PreHeat light while it is cleaning - that's apparently the same light as the glow plug light. Mine has never flashed.
    I have also heard that newer cars have this and older cars can be programmed for this feature, don't now any dates though??
    My sources could also be talking BS :-)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information