User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone managed to use a Sony Ericsson K800i as a modem?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question Anyone managed to use a Sony Ericsson K800i as a modem?

Just upgraded from a K750i to a K800i - very happy with the phone (very similar feel, just extra/improved features).

Problem I have is I can''t get my laptop or iPAQ to connect to use the phone as a modem over Bluetooth. I had the K750i setup on both the iPAQ and laptop with no problems. I can access the internet on the phone directly, and the iPAQ and laptop will talk to the K800 over BT no problem as well - file/contacts transfer etc. - it just will not let me connect through the phone as a modem, keeps giving timeouts/errors. It starts to initiate on the phone, but doesn't complete.

Searched a bit on the web and it seems this is a common problem, but I haven't as yet seen anyone post a solution! - so just wondered if anyone here had managed successfully?

The phone was branded as Vodafone, but I've reflashed it back to the default SE layout/features as the Vodafone customisation changes things around. Did this on the K750i and it made the phone much better to use (and also removed some limitations Vodafone had incorporated!). I doubt if that has anything to do with it as people have had problems with them branded as O2 and others.

Ta

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Don't know the answer to your question Duncan, but as i have a laptop with bluetooth and a K750i, can i ask how you go about setting it up to use the phone as a modem??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

Just been having a snoop around for you D and found THIS. Might be some useful info as people seem to have got it to work ok. HTH

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers Tony - I'd come across that thread already on my searching. Although that one's about using the phone to connect to a laptop via BT and use the connection of the laptop - I'm trying to get it to work the other way, use the laptop to connect to the phone via BT and use the phone's GPRS/3G connection.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Slightly off topic but read S73VE B reply and tried squahing what I thought was a fly/bug on the screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Cheers Tony - I'd come across that thread already on my searching. Although that one's about using the phone to connect to a laptop via BT and use the connection of the laptop - I'm trying to get it to work the other way, use the laptop to connect to the phone via BT and use the phone's GPRS/3G connection.
    I'll keep looking then m8

EDIT: This info any use D???

Internet access from an external device:
    Virtually all phones with high-speed network data capabilities offer some sort of facility for its user to access Internet services from an external computing device – say a PC, laptop / notebook, or even from a PDA device. And obviously, the K800i and K790i are no different in this regard.
    In most cases, Bluetooth is probably the choice for phones that don’t include a data cable with the original sales package. But as convenient as the wireless standard may be, the task of setting it up specifically for Internet access from an external device can get somewhat tedious, and even cause headaches for those who aren’t all that technically competent (in other words, being the most of us!)
    But starting with the K800i, this is all going to change – thanks to Sony Ericsson’s implementation of the Personal Area Networking (or PAN) Profile into their latest product. On external devices where the PAN Profile is supported, a Bluetooth networking profile should be automatically created upon its successful pairing with the phone. This was exactly the case on a Bluetooth-enabled Windows XP system with SP2 installed.
    On the K800i, all the setting-up required was the addition of the external Bluetooth device to the “My devices” list, set it to allow incoming connections, and select the correct data account for Internet access under the “Bluetooth Internet” option.
    And once that’s all done, simply select the Bluetooth networking profile for use and the Internet connection – via the K800i – should be established within seconds. A small little globe icon will appear upon a successful connection, and will animate (a rotating globe) whenever it is sending and receiving packets.
    Compared to having to know those AT modem commands and GPRS CID strings, accessing the Internet through a phone this way is just too easy!
    For those who either don’t have Bluetooth on their external device or prefer using a cabled connection, a similar option is available for use with the included DCU-60 cable. Upon installing the drivers package (which is included as a separate installation file to the K800i PC Suite), simply hook up the phone to the Windows-based PC and consent to the installation of the required drivers. When that’s finished, a new “Local Area Connection” profile should appear and will attempt to connect to the Internet automatically.
    Again, on the K800i, it’s a similar case of selecting the correct data account to use for Internet access – but this time, under the “USB data accounts” option in the “USB Internet” menu. When this feature is turned on, the K800i will automatically connect to the Internet each time the USB cable is connected and when “phone mode” is selected. Alternatively, an “off” setting will only allow basic local operations between it and the Windows-based PC.
    So apart from the outstanding performance of the Cyber-shot camera, there’s now something else that you can really love about this phone! Improving accessibility for external devices to get onto the Internet has been long awaiting – and, finally, it has come in the form of virtual plug-and-play… fantastic!
    Last edited by Caterman; 11th June 2007 at 13:16.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Right, finally got it all working!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    The phone was branded as Vodafone, but I've reflashed it back to the default SE layout/features as the Vodafone customisation changes things around. Did this on the K750i and it made the phone much better to use (and also removed some limitations Vodafone had incorporated!). I doubt if that has anything to do with it as people have had problems with them branded as O2 and others.
    I think that may have been a contributing factor - the reflashing - as I now have another K800i branded as Vodafone and it's working fine with the dial-up from the laptop. I had a bit of a 'mishap' last night and managed to reflash the phone accidentally! I wanted to ask a (different) question on the forum linked to the flashing software, and I needed to connect it all up again and run the software to get the version that I had used. Unfortunately I bumped the keyboard and it then set it off re-flashing!!! I didn't think it would do it as I had no credits, but of it went. I just assumed it would reflash it all again as the files were now on the hard disk, but when I went to turn it on at the end of it the phone wouldn't fully boot up! Hasty post on the same forum!

Got an answer this morning and basically because I didn't have any credits left it still flashes it but doesn't finalise it - so I would have needed to get another credit. Decided I'd take the opportunity to take it back to the store and say that it had suddenly stopped working! So after a quick exchange I had another Vodafone branded one. I think I'll leave it like that for the moment!

Set-up the connection on the laptop and it dialled straight into it! However it wouldn't still do it through the iPAQ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caterman View Post
    EDIT: This info any use D???
    Cheers m8 - I'd been looking into that stuff as well. I've got a BT PAN Network Connection appear on the laptop, but it always seems to be disconnected - at least the dial-up is working. However on the iPAQ it also has a PAN Network Access Point installed when the K800i was paired and that does work!

So I can now connect from the iPAQ over the PAN NAP and from the laptop using the dial-up over BT. The iPAQ was the main one I wanted to get working as I'll probably not use the phone as a modem so much on the laptop as the BT speeds are much slower than the 3G card is. BT will transmit between phone and laptop at 115KBs whilst 3G card in laptop will do 1.8MBs so I'll always use the 3G card if I'm doing a fair bit of browsing. The phone option is handy though for any quick session as I don't have to dig out the 3G card and then put my SIM card from my phone into it.

At some point I'll have a further twiddle with all the PAN stuff and see what I can get it to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by S73VE B View Post
    Don't know the answer to your question Duncan, but as i have a laptop with bluetooth and a K750i, can i ask how you go about setting it up to use the phone as a modem??
    Depends what BT facilities you have. All I needed to do was open up the (Toshiba) BT app that came on the laptop and make a new connection, it added the relevant modem to a COM port and even added the necessary strings to access the mobile web. To do it from scratch may be a bit fiddly, it all depends on your setup.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'll give it a whirl later on