Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Default Service price confusion

I am more than a little confused as to why some people think the service costs quoted are a good price?

Some people report prices of like £300, for oil and filter and engine flush and fuel system cleaner. Why do folks think that this is a good price ??

I am confused

Not being a cheap skate, but long life oil and filter for 1.8 car is approx £30 over the VX counter.

Is anything else actually done that people shouldn't be doing themselves anyway, like coolant, brake fluid etc checking. I don't think so.

Can someone please enlighten me on this, as I think a lot of people are paying way over top for this work to be done.

Remembering block exemption law for warranty.

Please discuss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As expensive as it sounds servicing a VX it's about half the price of an Alfa Romeo-think a timing belt on a 156 2.5 cost me £730 and they still cockde the airco whilst doing that!

It's ease and knowledge now-there's that much electrical stuff under there I can't even see the spark plugs on mine!!

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My wife's Corsa is due for it's first service very shortly. I looked at the schedule to see what would be done. Apart from a number of inspections of various bits (which don't require removing anything - not even the wheels) the only actual bit of work required is an oil and filter change. I haven't got a price from the dealers yet for what they would charge, but I reckon it's going to be around the £100 mark. For an oil/filter change I'll be doing that myself!!

Ste - just remind me the specifics on the block exemption (I know you've posted elsewhere). If I do the work I obviously have no means of stamping the book - so what do I need to do to make sure the warranty is kept intact? Do I still have to go to a VAT registered garage to do the work or not? If not, what evidence is there that is has been serviced to the correct schedule?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Is anything else actually done that people shouldn't be doing themselves anyway, like coolant, brake fluid etc checking. I don't think so.
    I think the simple answer to that is that people either haven't the time, the inclination or the know-how to be getting into doing their own servicing. They pay their money for piece of mind I guess - and if there are any problems then there is somebody they can go back to to correct anything.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post

Ste - just remind me the specifics on the block exemption (I know you've posted elsewhere). If I do the work I obviously have no means of stamping the book - so what do I need to do to make sure the warranty is kept intact? Do I still have to go to a VAT registered garage to do the work or not? If not, what evidence is there that is has been serviced to the correct schedule?

D
    D,

under block exemption rules, as long as parts of OEM quality are used and fitted in respect of the relevant service schedule, any VAT registered garage can do the work..Their stamp is just as valid as VX's for warranty purposes, but in the event of a claim they often need the EC rules pointing out to them a bit....

So, if you decided that you didn't want them to do the work it could come through my doors and get stamped.. and still retain the VX warranty.. i always keep copies of the parts invoices to back any further warranty work..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    D,

under block exemption rules, as long as parts of OEM quality are used and fitted in respect of the relevant service schedule, any VAT registered garage can do the work..Their stamp is just as valid as VX's for warranty purposes, but in the event of a claim they often need the EC rules pointing out to them a bit....

So, if you decided that you didn't want them to do the work it could come through my doors and get stamped.. and still retain the VX warranty.. i always keep copies of the parts invoices to back any further warranty work..
    Thanks for typing all that.

Strangely Mark, we seem to have agreed on quite a few things recently.

BUT, what workshop meets are these ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I used to serviec my first car but these days Time and pieces of mind dictate where I go. I used to go to a local garage but now I have anew car and a warranty I use VX once the warranty expires, the local garage will get my custom again.

D.

I have my Vectra in for it's first service last week. Cost me £169.00 Inc Vat It will give you an idea for the Corsa I hope - £100-£120 ??

Edit,

The prices are quoted on the VX site I think.

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Brocks View Post
    I have my Vectra in for it's first service last week. Cost me £169.00 Inc Vat It will give you an idea for the Corsa I hope - £100-£120 ??
    Yep, that's the range I was expecting it would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brocks View Post
    The prices are quoted on the VX site I think.
    Right, I'll have a look. I rang the dealer today but I forgot the service dept. is closed today due to funeral of one of the members of the family that run the dealership.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I am more than a little confused as to why some people think the service costs quoted are a good price?
    Who says Vx servicing are good prices?! Not something I have read. I think you've mis-intrepreted "good price".
    I think people know that servicing is going to be expensive for what actual work is carried out, so if you get quoted £100 - £150 I think that is a "good price" compared to £300!! I think people are talking relatively here.
    My first service was £192 which I think is a "good price" compared with up to £250 which I have been quoted a other Vx garages. Do you see what I mean?
    £192 is still a rediculus amount of money to pay for a service though, I agree with you there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The last service on my vectra cost the same as my mums o4 plate Clio, so that context I think the 180 quid is ok.

This year though is the fourth service so coolant and brake fluid change due and plugs so no doubt i'll walk out of there on crutches after giving them my right leg LOL

A service book full of vauxhall dealer stamps does look good and must help with re-sale, especially as there are so many vectra's around to choose from.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Some people report prices of like £300, for oil and filter and engine flush and fuel system cleaner. Why do folks think that this is a good price ??

I am confused

Not being a cheap skate, but long life oil and filter for 1.8 car is approx £30 over the VX counter.

Can someone please enlighten me on this, as I think a lot of people are paying way over top for this work to be done.

Remembering block exemption law for warranty.

Please discuss.
    I'm with you on this one Ste, and thats half the idea behind the workshop meets..to show folks how to do things under proper instruction to build their confidence..

There are HUNDERDS of pounds of savings to be made if you are prepared to have a go, and it's this ethos that i try to instill in my posts on here.. if i can tell you how to do a job and save a few quid, then you're a winner...and it gets you bonus points with the Mrs as well..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information