Thread: V6 CDTI Idle rate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default V6 CDTI Idle rate

I've been monitoring my fuel consumption over the past week or two and noticed the "g/hour" figure displayed at idle is generally 0.2 or 0.3. However, on occasions it's 1.0, which suprised me! It also seems to stay at this figure for the entire time the car is idling, usually in a queue of traffic. The next queue I join it may be back down to the usual 0.2 / 0.3. Is this normal?

Alan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yes m8, it's called the DPF. When the DPF kicks in the consumption goes up. You should also notice the range left will start to drop dramatically. Nothing to worry about just the feature of DPF getting more fuel to heat up the DPF.
    Vauxhall Diesel Engines Diesel Particulate Filter Overview

Quote from Vauxhall;
    In order to meet increasingly stringent statutory diesel engine exhaust emission requirements, enormous technological strides in diesel engine design have been made. Lately these have included the introduction of diesel particulate filters in certain applications to limit diesel particulate emissions.

What is a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)?
    A DPF is an additional filter located in the exhaust system to filter out harmful soot particles from the exhaust gases, in particular to meet the requirements of the Euro IV exhaust emission standard of 25 mg per km. Soot particles are collected in the DPF and eliminated periodically by automatic regeneration.

Which Models are Fitted with a DPF?
    The following models are currently fitted with a DPF.
    1.3 Diesel Meriva
    Combo from MY 07
    1.7 Diesel All Corsa D
    1.9 Diesel All Signum
    Vectra Estate
    Vectra Hatchback with automatic transmission
    All Zafira B
    Astra H with automatic transmission only
    All Astra H Twin Top
    3.0 Diesel All Vectra and Signum as of MY 06.5
    2.5 Diesel
    (146PS ) Vivaro from MY 07
    Movano from MY 07 (146PS version only)

What is DPF Regeneration and How is it Achieved?
    All models, less Vivaro / Movano)
    Regeneration is the process which produces a high temperature in the DPF to effectively “burn off” the soot particles. Achievement of the required DPF temperatures requires the engine to be operating at sufficient speed and load conditions to trigger and sustain the process. Generally the vehicle needs to be driven at a speed of 25 to 30 mph or more for a period of approximately 15 minutes to complete regeneration (Road and traffic situation permitting). Providing these driving conditions are achieved on a regular basis, DPF regeneration will be triggered automatically with no further intervention required. Some types of use, e.g. short urban journeys, do not allow complete automatic regeneration to take place. In this instance the driver should ensure that the vehicle is driven regularly within the required regeneration parameters for a short period. Failure to achieve an automatic regeneration will lead to clogging of the DPF. If this occurs, the engine warning light will illuminate and the engine electronics will switch to the emergency running programme. The DPF will require a manual regeneration which can only be initiated by a Vauxhall Authorised Repairer.

Vivaro / Movano
    Generally the comments above apply. However, if the driving conditions necessary to achieve an automatic regeneration have not been achieved, the driver will receive warning via a lamp in the instrument cluster that he should drive at approximately 40 mph for a period to induce a regeneration (Road and traffic situation permitting). This procedure is fully described in the Owner’s Manual.

DPF Operational Improvements
    Several improvements to DPF function or driver information have been, or will shortly be, introduced.

Vauxhall (1.9 Diesel)
    An optimised soot loading model for the DPF has been developed to initiate automatic DPF regeneration at a lower level of soot loading of the DPF. This reduces the likelihood of complete DPF clogging. Additionally, the impact of an aborted regeneration (driver switches off engine before regeneration completion) is reduced. Should the lower soot loading threshold be reached, the driver will now receive warning that a regeneration is required via flashing of the instrument glow plug light. This will enable the driver to initiate a regeneration by driving to the required parameters when road and traffic conditions permit.
    The software for these changes is being introduced progressively on Production and should be fully effective by mid September, with availability of service fix software (covering both the new soot model and the driver information) for existing vehicles by the end of September.

Other Reasons for a Clogged DPF
    Other than an unsuitable driving pattern, a blocked DPF may result from another engine hardware or software problems. Improvements have already been introduced to address many of these (Electro Pneumatic Valve, EGR valve, swirl flaps, DPF differential pressure sensor). Further improvements are being developed on an urgent basis (EGR shaking, air intake module / swirl flap redesign).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry for dragging up such an old post (found it through good old Google)

Will my 2004 V6 CDTI vectra have a DPF fitted?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mattsbmw View Post

Probably not as its most likely a y30dt (euro 3) not a z30dt (euro 4).

Boot it, does it smoke?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vauxhall vivaro

Trim : Basic

Engine : 1.9

Year : 2004

Quote Originally Posted by mattsbmw View Post

No

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    Probably not as its most likely a y30dt (euro 3) not a z30dt (euro 4).

Boot it, does it smoke?
    Quote Originally Posted by CritchvxD View Post
    No
    Cheers

Thread Information