Thread: Vectra Service Due

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Vectra Service Due

Just wanted to confirm the procedure for checking how many miles until the car is due a service is as follows:

- turn ignition off
    - remove key
    - press odometer reset button
    - if the odometer display goes completely blank its on 1yr/20K service intervals, and if a number comes up then thats the number of miles till its due a service.

this correct?

cheers guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Hendry
    Just wanted to confirm the procedure for checking how many miles until the car is due a service is as follows:

- turn ignition off
    - remove key
    - press odometer reset button
    - if the odometer display goes completely blank its on 1yr/20K service intervals, and if a number comes up then thats the number of miles till its due a service.

this correct?

cheers guys.
    should add that its on 15K anyway and will prob get a service at 20K anyway just to be on safe side of keeping warranty.

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes, procedure is correct m8

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It is possible however for the dash display to allow the car to travel over 20k miles before insisting a service is due. My Vectra is going in for its first service on Thursday (at 19,900 miles). Despite this mileage, when the button is pressed, 2000 miles still being shown.

It was difficult getting a definitive answer from VX, but the "EcoFlex" paperwork all states 20k/24 months MAX. There is obviously a potential for warranty refusal if you've gone over 20k miles between services - despite the car "telling you" it's okay. It's not worth risking the warranty for the sake of delaying the service a couple of thousand miles.

Anyway, 20,000 seems an awfully high mileage - my first cars were all 3,000 between services! Hillman Imp, Austin 1100.......and an "unbelieveably bad" Austin Maxi.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

When mine was reset after its first service, it had a 21,000 mile displayed for the next interval.

Remember though that you do not have to go to VX to keep warranty, just get a VAT registered garage to use Genuine GM parts and the recommended schedule. Can save a lot of money. Up to you of course, some people prefer to take it to the place that should know all about your car. (the 'should' can be debated though it seems)

The interval can be reset by anyone, simply hold the trip button in, turn on the ignition and continue holding the trip button for about 30 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm amazed and more than a little worried now. I didn't know the service countdown display could be reset by the owner/user.

Buying second hand, how can you be sure it's been serviced. Mine is still showing 2000 miles to go to it's first service, despite having just short of 20k on the clock. Somebody could have reset it at some time, thus saving themselves the cost of a service. Who knows, maybe my Vectra should have been serviced 5000 miles ago - maybe longer.......gulp!

Anyway, nothing I can do about it now. It's having it's first service on Thursday. I suppose the VX technician will know if it's been reset 'illegally', so let's hope he's nothing to say to me when I pick it up.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

I don't think calling it tampered by dodgy traders is fair to be honest, because it is perfectly legitimate to do this to reset the service indicator. VX have put this fuctionality into the program to allow reset by non-VX garages to comply with the law (I think it is law, but not sure) - so recording non-VX resets is not that useful for me, but I can see the benenfit to VX.

I personally would not get VX to service my car, I prefer to get it done elsewhere (to VX schedule and using Gen parts) to cut down on cost of ownership. Seeing as I do in excess of 25,000 miles per year it works out to be cost effective to do this IMO - plus warranty cannot be rejected if the necessary receipts etc are kept.

Thread Information