Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Insurance made me an offer for my car :mad:

Hi guys,

You may remember from this topic

http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=22531

That my car was written off and I was awaiting a pay-out figure. My car spec was as follows:

2003 53 Reg
    Vectra SXi DTi
    Black
    93k mileage
    Full Service History
    Immaculate Condition inside and out

Pic:

This morning I got a call from Admiral saying we are going to offer £5000 for the car

Imo £5000 is waay out. The guy told me he was going to send an advert from the auto trader and "Unless i can find a reason why I cant buy this car, £5000 is how much they'll give me". I asked him for the details so I could look it up.

This one http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www...ch_full=SEARCH

I called the dealer and he told me the car had some wing paint imperfection, plus it's silver not black. So I called the insurance up, got back to the same guy and said £5000 is way under-value, plus the car is silver and black is more rare/sought after and worth more. He kept saying the colour doesn't make a difference to price.

After 15 mins of browsing and debating he uppped the amount to £5300 and said this is the glass's guide price and said he won't go over it. I told him I wasn't happy and will think about it.

Basically need some advice guys, what do you think? Is £5300 too little? If so, what can I do/say to increase it.

The closest match to my car is this one.. third down:

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www...ch_full=SEARCH

2003 53 Reg VAUXHALL Vectra 2.0DTi SXi (trade)

GMC Motors
    • 86,000 miles
    • Manual
    • BLACK
    • Diesel

5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Diesel, 86,000 miles, Black. ABS, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Computer, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors,

£5,981

The insurance guy said this was over-priced and there's no way he'd go £1000 over his original offer.
    Any help/advice appreciated. Thanks

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell him you'll meet him halfway then. Have you linked him to this club and your photos of your car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think £5500 would be reasonable? I'd have thought that is still short..

Would be ace if anyone could check the value of this car using Glass's etc given the mileage etc.

How will photos of the car and/or pointing him towards Vectra-c.com help? (said in a polite way!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he says he won't go £1000 over his original offer, so tell them you'll accept £5,999

to me the car wouldn't be worth more than £6k with 93k on the clock, but thats just my honest opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the current CAP valuation on the car, if it's any help:

Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 DTi SXi 5-door
    2003, 53-Reg
    93,000 miles

CAP Clean: £4,025
    This what the trade would by the car in for and assumes it's in good condition for the age and mileage.

CAP Retail: £5,220
    This is what the trade would retail the car for. Note that this is the average transaction price (after discounts) and not the average advertised price (before discounts).

Private sale value would be somewhere in between.

£5,300 seems to be about on the money. However, if you can provide ads for similar cars at higher prices than you may have a case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thing is the robbing gits normally offer bottom book and you have to grovel to raise it. I'd push them all the way show them your pics on here ask to see the head underwritter and not the monkey and play blooyd hell till you get a decent price!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

depreciation is a B*****D!!! full stop. As much as you cherished your car it is only worth the market value.
    I sold my B3 for what I would have thought a steal. Well in my head it was anyway. We all like to think that our cars are worth more than they actually are, but in reality they are only worth what a punter is prepared to pay.
    It is annoying and sad but true.
    That's why it is always good to take all mods of a car before you sell as you wont get anything for them. Sell the car at base and sell the bits after.

I would push them as far as you can but ultimately you will only get what they are offering. Its not like you can flatly refuse to take there offers.

Kev

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j13hdb View Post
    Thing is the robbing gits normally offer bottom book and you have to grovel to raise it. I'd push them all the way show them your pics on here ask to see the head underwritter and not the monkey and play blooyd hell till you get a decent price!
    Good luck with the negotiations on the claim - in my experiences of handling claims I would have thought anything between £5300 - £5600 should be about right (considering you have already managed to get the offer up from £5000 and there are a couple of similar cars advertised for under £6000 LESS the discount you would be able haggle).

However, if you need to go above the guy you are dealing with to try to get a revised offer, the person to speak to is the CLAIMS manager or supervisor - and/or possibly the assessor - asking to speak to the Underwriter / Head Underwriter will only cause you more frustrations, as he/she will not have anything to do with your claim whatsoever, and you will be shifted from pillar to post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been noticing in my searches the dealers aren't following their retail guide figures too closely at this time, saw some Passat's that should be on site for 8.5k, 10.5k I've seen them listed at and with 40k on the clock too.

For some sort of idea Faz, as you know mines just been written also, it was a 54 2.0 DTi Design with 41 on the clock, I tried to PX it a few weeks ago and all I was getting offered on it was between 6-6.5k, the written value I've been offered is 7.3k, I asked my broker what he thought, and he said I could challenge it and another indy engineer would price it, but if he found it worth more I'd get more and if less I'd have to pay the assement fees, as I originally wanted 7.5k £200 less isn't the end of the world to me and it cover's the cars debt so I accepted it, plus I'll get a cheque quicker, I'd had been wanting 5.5k if your car was mine, hth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell him as your a member of a car club its been kept to a very high standard and not just your 'average' car.. Also if you cant find one for that price tell them to go out and find you one of your spec and 'calibre' and deliver to your house for you... and see what they say

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information