Thread: Roof Bars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cool Roof Bars

I needed to buy roof bars for the Signum (same as the Vectra) and to begin with i was pretty ****ed off as I have always bought the Vauxhall (made by Thule) black square bars and I have 3 bike carriers and a wind surf carrier to fit on these bars. Vauxhall now only sell the Thule Aero bars to fit the Signum which means that none of the accessories will fit. When I went to Thule to see if they will supply the black square bars for the Signum all they could offer was a lash up that went into the door recesses and took ages to fit (by the way Thule UK customer service = zero).

So after much agonising and reluctance I went out and bought the Vauxhall (Thule) aero bars with two new Thule 591 bike carriers and a windsurf carrier. They are absolutely brilliant. The bars take 2 minutes to fit and the cycle carriers about 1 minute each. They are also absolutely rock solid. On my first Cavalier in 1990 it used to take 20 mins just to fit the bars and you always risked denting the roof.

I spent ages researching this so any questions.............

cheers Andy

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm assuming the Aero Bars fit in the four slots (2 each side) of the roof?

What's the advantage, if any, of going for the Vx roof rails and attaching accessories to that.

Haven't yet carried my bikes on my car yet, but I want to get it sorted so I can. Been pondering, on and off!, which way to go.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi all,

Any pics Andy.........I've been after the same but didn't like what I was seeing.

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Duncan, the aero bars do fit into the 4 slots. You need to buy the Vauxhall branded ones as Thule (either black square bar or silver aero) only fit in the door recess and it's a mediocre set up. The Vauxhall branded ones are are made by Thule anyway. The benefits are a) speed of attachment to the car into the 4 slots, b) the rigidity and safety of these in the slots and c) the ease of fitting the accessories (bike carriers) into the slots on the aero bars. Normally this takes forever but with these it's a 2 minute job. For the bike carriers I would recommend the Thule 591 (I paid £75 each in Halfords). There are cheaper but these are very easy to use, strong, 1 minute to attach, have locks for the carrier and the bike and you can easily lift the bike on and off the car into them.

BLR, I'm planning to sort out the techy side (hopefully this p.m.) when my bro. comes round and then should get a pic. of the car on here and these bars,

cheers Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cool Finally a picture

Here's a picture:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for that Andy

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

just got some myself as the cheap no named ones are sooo cr*p it really is stupid.... these ones are really quick to fit , and you don't crack your head open each time you get in and out of the blasted car ...as i used to do

look alot better aswell .... black and silver ... so go with the car great as well

Watch the truck pull on youtube --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjGfVxXov1E

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

had some of those bars for a while now. Got them with the old veccy 18months ago but never used them till we went to norway. Cost me £98 from the dealer.

Got a cheap roofbox, tried to fitit and discovered the hoop brackets were too narrow to fit over the bar, so be warned. Thule brackets are wider, but the fitting kits for roof boxes seem to be special order only. Ended up going to B&Q and buying some hoops myself and redrilling the roof box. Worked like a dream.

Not tried any official carriers on the car yet. I do have a cheap bike carrier but im presuming this wont fit the new bars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just finished fitting the roof bars to my Vectra. They are so easy and quick to fit and the style and finish of them look so good on the car.

No screws or nuts to tighten just a couple of levers to move, and when fitted are locked firmly in place. The levers are then covered with a lockable cover. Vauxhall even supply 4 keys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've just acquired a Vectra SXi Estate and have been looking at buying roof bars. Vauxhall ones at £92 appear to be the same as Thule aero bars as Andy says, but Thule do list a fitting kit for attachment to the 4 roof slots on Estates, Hatchbacks and Saloons. They can be used with either the Aero bars in silver or the black standard ones. Halfords also show the kit but with 108cm bars not the 120cm ones as per Thule. Best web site is the Roof Box company for prices. Still not sure which way I'll go yet. Thule ones do give a little bit of overhang which can be useful to tie things down to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information