Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default electric window switches

Does anyone know how to remove the switch plate from the passenger door for the electric windows?Mine has gone a bit intermittant.Works O.K from the drivers side but not when using the passenger side switch.Oh,it's a 1.8 Elegance,if that makes any difference.
    Pete.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think you might be able to do this a couple of ways (I just did the driver's earlier today). The switches are held in place by a couple of (not very strong) metal clips at the top and bottom, therefore:

Method 1 would be to remove the torx screws from the door cards (along the bottom edge and behind the door handle) and pop the clips around the edges of the card. That should give you enough leverage on the card to pull it away from the door enough for you to get behind and pop out the bottom end of the switch. Then pull the bottom out from the front and the top will follow. This is how I did my driver's switch.

The torx screws along the bottom are easy to spot, however to get to the 2 behind the door handle you must remove the cover on the handle (the handle is the thing you use to shut the door, not the door lever you use to open it). If you look at the handle you will see that there is actually a cover on the front of it - you need to remove this to get to the screws. To do this insert something non-scratching into the gap between the cover and the main body of the handle AT THE TOP! There is a lug on the bottom of the cover, therefore you must pop out the top end of the cover first then lever it out from the bottom. Don't do the bottom first, it either won't work or you'll snap your lug!

Once all the torx screws are removed you need to feel around the edge of the card and pop the plastic retaining clips. You only need to remove enough of them to lever the card away from the door enough to see the switch. If you lie on the floor you can get your hand behind the card and see the switch. Pop the bottom of the switch out and you can then take it out from the front.

Easy!

Method 2 would be to insert a screwdriver/flat object between the switch and the surround. I'm sure the clips aren't very strong at all, but you might damage either the switch or surround this way.
    Last edited by um20; 21st May 2007 at 23:11.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the reply,method one sounds the best,but I noticed today a little mark above the switchplate,so suspect someone has already levered it out by method two!
    Pete.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

helo there Peter did you get it fixed? I have the same intermittent working / not working problem on the passenger side and wasnt sure wher ethe fault is as it works from the drivrs side door
    cheers Ant

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ant, it may we just be 'sticky' contacts in the passengers side switch unit..1st call would be to remove the unit and try some solvent cleaner on the contacts inside....the unit comes apart quite easily..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Tried to fix today.Best to remove the switch and surround in one piece.It's easy enough to lever out carefully with a small screwdriver.There's a small connecting plug on the back of the switch,which I unplugged and sprayed with contact cleaner.Didn't fancy trying to dismantle the switch itself(visions of small springs and clips flying everywhere).Refitted and seems to work better but requires a good hard push to operate.Possibly requires new switch,any ideas how much they cost?It has the window up/down,the central locking and boot release switches in one unit.
    Pete.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks guys I will give it a go with some contact cleaner - it must be the switch or connections on the passenger door as it works fine from the drivers door
    Ants

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Previous fix lasted about 2 days,so decided to strip the switch down(gulp).Put it in a vice,upside down, between some softwood packing.Very gently levered the sides out from the 4 "blips"(2 on each side)and the 2 clips at either end.Inside switch is a flexi plate with contacts on.Cleaned up contacts on this and on PCB with fine sandpaper.Re-assembled and Hey Presto - it now works!Lets hope this fix lasts longer than the last one.
    Pete.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Have exactly the same on my 03 Signum 2.2 DTI Design - Intermittent not working Passenger door window switch. I'm an Electrical & Electronic Eng. myself and this sounds like a perfectly reasonable solution. I simply havn't had time (or the motivation) to fix mine yet but I did have to do the sanding the contacts of the passenger side rear numberplate light a few months ago.

All of this begs the question - what's up with the passenger side that isn't a problem on the driver's side? OK it's a bit of a stretch to link these two issues - just joking... but in seriousness, why should the contacts of the window switches corrode in one door but not the other - manufacturing issue or subsequent environment?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

MIne went the same on BOTH sides. I couldn't work out how to get at them and was worried that I'd get stuck at parking barriers etc. Took it to the vauxhall dealer and got replacement switches fitted. (1.8 LS).
    cost? Passenger side £30, driver side £60, both fitted for £138 in total.
    both now work fine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information