Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vectro-One

EDIT: One of my first posts and I made a typo on the subject line! Damn

Afternoon all.

Since this weekend has been **** weather wise up here, thought i'd share with everyone what I spent last weekend doing.

After seeing Merick's fantastic install of the photo frame in place of the naff standard TID, I thought about doing something similer but without having the dilemma of deciding what to display on it!

I looked at my Tomtom One (the original one) and immediately thought about hard wiring it in place of the TID in my Vectra-C.

So here's a bunch of images - and if anyone is interested in doing this mod i'll be happy to help (if I managed it then it couldn't have been hard!).

Also I must appologise if I mess up the image uploads, i'm still a n00b around here

Heres a view of the (97% finished) product

Close up of the switch added to ease turning the sat-nav on and off.

View from driver seat

To solve the issue of accessing the SD card, there is a USB lead plugged into the unit behind the dash and drops behind and up through the ashtray - and as I dont smoke the ashtray will actually start getting used - so all that is needed to upgrade the maps/Speed camera warnings is the ol' Laptop.

To help the GPS signal, I got an external antenna from eBay for £7.99 (with p&p). This plugs in the unit and goes along the front of the dash to the passenger side fusebox, where it goes up the pillar and along the top of the windscreen, all under the trim so the wires are completely hidden - and is stuck to the back of the interior mirror.

Still need to find (or make, if I could be bothered) a decent silver Vectra splashscreen, but this will do for now.

And final close up showing TT version details.

The only reason I haven't shown behind the scenes is because when I finally got it back together I didn't have the energy to pull it apart again! But I will do at some point an take some pics. The sat-nav is wired to the back of the cigar lighter which means the existing one still works.

So what does everyone think? Would appreciate thoughts/idea's on it - all thats left for me to do is get a sheet of matte plastic to cut the frame out and replace the glossy vinyl thats in there at the minute.

Other than that, id eventually like to do something about the speaker placement as its a tad muffled coming from behind the dash!

Best regards.

Professor Falken
    Last edited by ProfessorFalken; 19th May 2007 at 18:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work m8

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very tidy

can you see the display ok ?? would it have been better at an angle ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fellie View Post
    very tidy

can you see the display ok ?? would it have been better at an angle ?
    Yeah no problems there, possibly because I have reasonably long legs and my seat is quite a way back - maybe if I were a shortar$e with the seat all the way foreward that would be difficult to see.

More of an issue at the moment is hearing the sound, without the radio it's fine but I do need to find a suitable spot for the speaker to go, alternatively need to get another speaker in addition to the existing one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you do not have the nineth speaker on the top of the dashboard under the grill maybe you could put the speaker for the Tom Tom there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very good mate

i tend to do this little trick works a treat as well only problem is not being able to charge at the same time

did you take the tomtom one apart? how easy would it be to move the plug for putting the charger in?
    eg move it to the front or side of the unit

please upload more pic when you have time as this really got me thinking about doing mine

baz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baz2003uk View Post
    very good mate

i tend to do this little trick works a treat as well only problem is not being able to charge at the same time

did you take the tomtom one apart? how easy would it be to move the plug for putting the charger in?
    eg move it to the front or side of the unit

please upload more pic when you have time as this really got me thinking about doing mine

baz
    That was my usual trick if I was nipping somewhere and couldnt be bothered rigging it up with the lead and window cradle.

Yeah I took the tomtom apart, I did this first to make sure that the mod would be possible. As for moving the charger socket I wouldn't think it would be possible as it is mounted on a very slim PCB with the USB and headphone sockets.

Inside the plastic shell of the Tomtom One, the entire unit is in more or less a single piece. The bulk of it consists of the main screen which is mounted on a metal inner-chassis with the PCB and battery attached. The only part not contained within it is the top of the unit which has the on/off switch and GPS reciever which is slightly smaller than a postage stamp - this connects to the main PCB with a thin coax wire for the gps and a 3-pin connecter lead for the on/off switch which also provides the LED with power.

For the mounting inside the console panel, I first replaced the original TID surround with a MID facia I got off eBay - the top an bottom of this fit perfectly around the metal chassis of the ONE, so I needed to cut a piece of plastic to cover the open sides of the facia - this is what looks glossy on the pictures - I'm replacing this as soon as I find something suitable to cut it from

The tomtom cigarette lighter adapter is hiding behind the console, towards the back, getting 12 volts from a cable I ran from the back of the existing cigarette lighter and earth on a bolt back there - taking power from there ensures that the supply is cut off when the ignition is off and not draining the car battery.

The small part with the GPS and on/off button needed to be kept in there even though im using an external antenna - as the pass-thru socket is contained on that part of the tomtom, I just stuck it to the back of the tomtom's battery to keep it in place so I could plug the antenna into it.

All that was left was an on/off switch to place somewhere, so I snipped thru the on/off wires that normally go to the tomtoms switch and passed them down to the blanking spot near the radio and put a normal PTM switch in there.

Oh and the USB lead was my answer to the problem of updates etc. I've got a 1GB SD card in the ONE so there is plenty of room and already has the western europe maps on it. The ashtray has a small window on the left of it which clips and slides out, this made way for the lead to run from the ONE down the side of the stereo and into the ashtray.

Anyway i've waffled on for long enough now! I'll try an get some more pics up tomorrow.

Regards

Professor Falken

Thread Information