Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Tyre help

Hiya.

I need a little help/advice..... I have a Signum Design with the 17" alloys (same as vectra SRi) They have 4 Goodyear ntc's (im worried that i have the damaged/cracking ones)would say average tread on them the car has 23k on it.

Im not tight with money i dont like to spend over the odds, if somthing is worth the price i will pay it but would like to find cheepest price for it.

I woke up this morn and i had a flat tyre, my drive is on a incline so i had to drive it up to the road (could not change wheel cos of the slope), I put the joke of a spair wheel on (thousand of pounds on a car and let down by the spair wheel ) , drove to ATS as speeds below 80kmph :P , They put some wind in the tyre and found there is a small hole in tyre wall, they sdid not look any further cos its unuseable (they did not check if this is what made it go down or if i did it moving car on flat tyre. )

This is where i need advice..... the tyres already on are 215 50 R17 (which is an unusuall size only vectra/ signum use) do i get 1 new Goodyear ntc so all 4 tyres match, type not wear ?? Been told will cost about £150

Do i get 2 new tyres good make 215 50 R17 ??? advice on make please. I recon this will cost me about £250

Do i get 4 new tyres good make 225 45 R17 ( seams to be the size every other 17" wheels use from every other make, making them much cheeper) advice on make and changing tyre size. This way i could get 4 new tyres for the price of 2, next time not have the problem of over priced wrong size cracking tyres.

Last bit of help is where in the manchester area is good for tyres?? dont mind traveling a bit to get done, i would like a good price but with good tyres.

Thanx in advance
    Ashtoroth.
    Last edited by Ashtoroth; 18th May 2007 at 20:51.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Since it is only one tyre, I'd replace it with what is currently on the car
    Equally though you could replace both with the F1 GSD3 on 225/45R17 and swap the rears to the front so that they are worn out next, and then have the fitters give you back the part-worn 215/50R17 and keep it as a spare

You could also consider taking out tyre insurance, pretty much pays for itself with one claim each year

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi,
    I have same tyres and 21k. Last week I kerbed a rear wheel causing a 10cm split in the tyre wall. Rang round for new tyre and ATS was around £150 but found local firm in Cleveleys, Lancs did it for £104 cash (GoodYear NTC). Only thing is that it has tyre wall beading to protect alloy-this makes it not flush with the alloy like the others. Pleased with price though.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by DazWeb View Post
    hi,
    I have same tyres and 21k. Last week I kerbed a rear wheel causing a 10cm split in the tyre wall. Rang round for new tyre and ATS was around £150 but found local firm in Cleveleys, Lancs did it for £104 cash (GoodYear NTC). Only thing is that it has tyre wall beading to protect alloy-this makes it not flush with the alloy like the others. Pleased with price though.
    Hiya Daz,

Could u sent me a PM with dealers details, i know its bout 1hr from me but its a start, are the new NTC's completely diffrent (tread pattern)?? if so would be pricey to get a nice matched pair.

Thanx
    Ashtoroth

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by DazWeb View Post
    Lancs did it for £104 cash (GoodYear NTC). Only thing is that it has tyre wall beading to protect alloy-this makes it not flush with the alloy like the others
    There are quite a few different Good Year NCT tyres, which one is it?
    The Vectra SRi comes with a standard NCT5
    There is also a G1 which is intended for the BMW and Merc,this one has rim protectors
    The same applies to the F1 GSD3, it too is designed with rim protectors

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hiya.

Cheers for the advice m8internet i have also looked at all the previous tyre threads which have helped make sence of this tyre thing. Atm i am leaning towards changing all 4 (maybe only 2 if there too expensive) for the 225 45 's , at least then when i have a puncture or have to retyre it will be cheeper and there seams to be more choice of tyres for that price and i am not stung for having a uncommon size .... i think its a conspiricy with vx to make your wallet lighter

More comments welcome and still need a good garage, i will have a ring around tommorow, but i need the dohnut off the front of my car asap.

Thanx
    Ashtoroth

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you want decent Goodyears, go for Excellence or Hydragrip. The NCT5 is an ancient old thing that Vauxhall probably get for £3.50.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The F1 GSD3 are a good tyre & hold the road very well but they're quite soft so don't expect anywhere near 20k from fronts if you drive with ANY enthusiasm

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Get Toyo TR-1's about £180 for 2 from www.blackcircles.com. Stick like sh!t to a blanket

Also, there no problem fitting 225/45/17's and it'll save you around £20 a tyre

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Problem solved...... Signum has 4 new shoes . The rubber ring joke of a spair tyre is firmly back in the boot.

I ended up going for 4 Avon ZZ3's 225/45 R17. I ended up paying £350 to change all 4, all in with tracking from National. The tyres look good with loats of tread.

Drive home with them on i had to take long route using motorway. Huge improvement on the goodyears, at speed the stearing felt sold. Time and fuel will see how good they are.

Im happy i have a standard size now when i have next puncture or wear these out it will cost me less and hopefully will be instock when needed.

I kept the old 3 good Goodyear's. I hope to find a home for them as to save the problem i have just had, if anyone wants to make an offer for 3 Goodyear NCT5's (3005 so not involved in the recall) 215/50 R17 19W, all 3 have around 4 mm of tread, one is perfect, one has had previous repair and one has a screw in it but its repairable in the tread, let me know i thought they were too good to throw away (expecially seen as price of the crazy size).

Thanx for the advice, a real help otherwize would have just over paid for tyres and would not have know about the alternitive size. Money save thanx to Vectra-C.com

Ashtoroth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information