User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Electric folding mirrors problem (retrofit)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : C

Engine : Z19DT

Year : 2005

Default Electric folding mirrors problem (retrofit)

Hello mates,

Although I searched a lot of threads here to see an answer, I didn't find what I am looking for.

Still have my pre-facelift Vectra C GTS with full canbus (17 year old car!) and decided to retrofit electric folding mirrors.

I got the JN/JP modules + door looms from a friend, I believe they are from a facelift car.

Managed to install only driver module and loom (LHD car), reset the DDM with Tech2Win using donor car pin, programmed it with my pin and vin number, and Tech2Win programmed low can bus configuration.

In variant coding I chose the following:

DD switch - for rear windows functionality
    Comfort opening (or similar,don't remember) - present
    Alarm - not present because I don't have the BCM for that (but car has everything else fitted, i was going to that as well)
    Electric memory seats - not present (I do have retrofitted memory seats but if I code this I will get errors on DDM regarding the horizontal/vertical motor of the mirror which obviously is not there)
    Courtesy lights - present
    Deadlocks - off (I don't have deadlocks)
    Rain sensor comfort closing - present
    Electrical inside lock switch - present (is this the lock buton on driver switch ? anyway, i tried with this off and on and no change)

One important detail: I just installed the JN module on driver side to check functionality + coding as I found out when installing the new loom that this one was from a car equipped with alarm.

I noticed that because when I opened the door nothing happened , no interior light, no dash lit, no door open pictogram on the dash.

I fixed that by studing TIS , seems that on cars with factory alarm, the door ajar signal wire is going to BCM directly, as for the ones that do not have alarm, that wire is going to the DDM.

Haven't had the chance to work also on passenger door, since the day is shorter now

What works:
    - electric windows, all of them, from the driver switch
    - lock unlock car button from the driver switch
    - lock unlock car from key fob
    - opening all windows / closing all windows from the key fob
    - open trunk from the driver switch
    - mirrors adjustment left/right/up/down (the one with power folding i just installed on driver's side, the passenger side is not yet changed)

What is not working:
    - folding / unfolding from the switch ( I don't have the switch with the pictogram for power folding mirrors, as I read here, I don't need to change mine)

- folding works only when locking, and it stays that way, the only way I can unfold the mirrors is with Tech2Win actuator test (which actually works to fold/unfold the mirror).

- Once it's folded, there IS NO method to unfold it, I tried the switch inside, with the door closed/opened, inside with the car locked/unlocked, etc, from the key fob when unlock and press again 1 second, nothing happens, if i keep pressing only the windows go down, but no unfolding

- what is not working but not important, when I press the child lock button for rear windows, it goes red when it's pushed and then reverts back to amber. If i keep it pressed, it stays red and the rear windows are locked but it doesn't stay that way.

Could it be that it's not working because I did not install the passenger side module + electric folding mirror ?

I can see some errors on the new DDM saying the PDM mirrors cannot be folded , and an error for mirror heating , but that is ok since i did not install yet the glass.

Do I need to set something from the BCM as well , or REC ?

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Later edit:

I installed the passenger door unit and loom, programmed the PDM with my pin and VIN, configured low can bus config.
    I activated deadlock on both units, at it seems this is how it works to fold passenger mirror from the key fob.

Now, passenger mirror is folding/unfolding from the driver's door switch, but the driver mirror doesn't do anything.

I ran again actuator test with Tech2Win - connected to the MDI, and the driver's door mirrors is folding and unfolding, so there is nothing wrong with the motor.
    But the strange thing is, at diagnostic data display, status of driver's mirrors is always "Folded" , regardless if I unfold it via tech2win actuator test and leave it unfolded.

No matter how I let the mirror (folded or unfolded), the data display shows status "Folded" as the passenger mirror which works changes the status accordingly.
    Also, on the same data display page, when I fold/unfold I see the responses from the motor of the mirror (folding, unfolding). Driver motor doesn't say anything.
    Voltage is fine on both mirrors, adjustment of mirrors is working both sides.

Anyone has any idea what is going wrong ? From my assumptions, it seems that the driver's folding motor doesn't announce its status to the DDM. I don't have any errors on the DDM, I had before "folding system malfunction" but it's not present. The only errors I have are regarding deadlock , which is not present on my car.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : VECTRA B and C

Trim : GTS

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2004

Deadlock can be deactivated when you dont have it. it has nothing to do with folding mirrors. check the status of folded, unfolded on passenger side. if there is all ok then the driver mirror is bad. i have folding mirrors but can not check it right now. no you dont need to change the mirror windows switch. In pdm and ddm variant configuration there is also an option on electrick folding. have you activated that? i dont see it in the first post...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you dont have alarm you dont need to worry about the wire thats diferent. Only if the new door wiring is from a alarm car. then it would not work. because there is a grey wire that on not alarm cars goes straigt from lock to pdm or ddm. if is an alarm car the grey wire is not going to pdm ddm but from lock straight to bcm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hello and thanks for the reply.

For the alarm system i resolved it. I wired the grey wire to PDM/DDM pin 42 because I don't have alarm on the car. That is fixed. I also let the other wire cut, and isolated , If i want to retrofit alarm, I can wire again as OEM of the loom.

Yes, the variant coding has electrical mirrors on both sides, comfort opening. rain sensor comfort close.
    From inside the driver switch the passenger side on the right is folding unfolding, as well as from key fob = lock the car and keep the lock button for a few seconds, the passenger mirror is folding.

The driver's doesn't do anything. I just put it unfolded from Tech2Win so I can drive the car.

As I said , the motor is working on driver's side, as It can be folded/unfolded from the test on Tech2Win.

I dismantled the covers, it had a lot of white corrosion everywhere, I bath it with WD40 all over, and I insisted on the spring area and the folding mechanism, still no luck.

I see that the folding motor has 4 wires, 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom, I assume that 2 of them are for engaging the motor, by inversing polarity and the other 2 are for a position sensor.

Also, the position status on diagnostic screen on Tech2Win of the driver's mirror doesn't change when I fold the mirrors from the driver's switch, I can only see the passenger one changing status. The mirror on driver side always has the status "folded" even though now it's unfolded via Tech2.

Thing is , the mirrors worked fine , I've seen a video sent from my friend who dismantled the donor Vectra, and they worked fine. (No idea how old was the video, I guess a few months). Maybe something happened when he dismantled the mirrors or during transport, i have no idea.

Right now, the system is working as it should but only with passenger mirror.

I double checked the variant coding on both sides and they are identical, except the comfort close and a few other options which can only be enabled on DDM.
    Last edited by tox; 17th December 2022 at 17:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Then check the pins on loom and o n mirror if they are not corroded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Or broken wire inside the mirror...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I dismantled it today, checked all wires, removed the connectors from the motors and measure with a multimeter. All wires have connectivity to the mirror connector. Washed everything with connector cleaner spray, used a little piece of sandpaper to go over the pins in the connector

What I discovered and I don't know if it's correct or not:

Measuring bottom 2 wires (I believe it's the folding position sensor as the top ones are from the motor , visually) - they give short between them when the mirror is folded, and no short when the mirror is unfolded (nor any resistance).

Putting it back in on the car while it was unfolded from tech2, when I fold the mirrors from the driver's switch, they both fold, but only the passenger mirror will unfold, driver's stays folded. Also I saw intermittent errors on "driver mirror folding/unfolding circuit malfunction" (not present) so the error is not there all the time.

I ordered another one from ebay 24436193 code, let's see when it arrives what happens next...

9. Likes northpole, watchman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Toyota

Trim : Yaris Hybrid

Engine : 1.5 Hybrid

Year : 2021

Mileage : 5525

Good luck with this ,great to see ppl are still retrofitting to their cars .

Thread Information