User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Z19DTH Clutch/DMF/CSC Problem. Thoughts please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectrarri

Trim : Not any more

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2007

Mileage : 141500

Default Z19DTH Clutch/DMF/CSC Problem. Thoughts please?

Hi Guys,

Need a bit of help from the experts please.

I have a Z19DTH (1.9 16v engine) with F40 6 speed manual box.

My symptoms are this:
    - Leak of brake fluid from gearbox bell housing (fluid is going down in reservoir (definitely clutch side - brake side all fine and working as normal). Top of gearbox is dry, pipe is fine and bleed nipple properly closed.

- Rattling noise from gearbox when clutch up, silent (almost) when clutch depressed. Car still drives fine and select gears ok.

What I’ve done:
    - Replaced everything 6 months ago (new Sachs DMF, new DMF bolts, new Luk clutch kit, new GM slave cylinder etc) and used easi bleed kit to bleed the clutch. Everything was fine for about 3k miles…or at least seemed fine.
    - Checked Master Cylinder just to rule out a contributing factor. (clamped clutch flexi pipe to check for pressure loss in pedal - seems ok).
    - Read lots of relevant threads on here before and after the job.

I’m thinking I’ve most likely messed something up than one of the new parts failing so anyone had these symptoms after a clutch replacement or know where I’ve gone wrong?

Sounds to me like the new CSC has failed; but if it has, why?

I suppose I could have cross threaded the metal clutch pipe into the CSC.

I’m looking for some input before I haul it all apart because:

I don’t have the parts I might need
    I’ll make the car undriveable
    I’m also a little worried about having damaged the clutch plate with fluid leaking on to it and also making the same mistakes again (I.e can you over pressure the CSC when bleeding?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Saloon( sadly died at age 20 due to a hart attack)

Trim : SXI limited edition

Engine : 2.0 16v DTI

Year : 2003

Mileage : 140000

yes you can pop the seal on the CSC when bleeding it... but TBT some parts can be DOA's (Dead On Arrival) and the leaking brake-fluid points to a popped seal especially when you press the luth pedal and the lot is noisy...
    brake cleaner will get rid of any brake-fluid contamination on the clutch parts... just spray the lot and dry it off (use a paper-towel) before reassembling it.
    cross threading the brake-fluid pipe is possible, but rarely happens it just wont go in unless forced it in.

PS you can leave the clutch assembly intact if upon inspection, there are no signs of brake fluid hitting it. That also means you can loosen the gearbox, slide it up in one corner of the subframe and replace the CSC you'll have more than enough space for that. it also means easier to put the box back on.

3. Thanks Fastcabs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by northpole View Post
    yes you can pop the seal on the CSC when bleeding it... but TBT some parts can be DOA's (Dead On Arrival) and the leaking brake-fluid points to a popped seal especially when you press the luth pedal and the lot is noisy...
    brake cleaner will get rid of any brake-fluid contamination on the clutch parts... just spray the lot and dry it off (use a paper-towel) before reassembling it.
    cross threading the brake-fluid pipe is possible, but rarely happens it just wont go in unless forced it in.

PS you can leave the clutch assembly intact if upon inspection, there are no signs of brake fluid hitting it. That also means you can loosen the gearbox, slide it up in one corner of the subframe and replace the CSC you'll have more than enough space for that. it also means easier to put the box back on.
    Thanks. Hopefully this is what’s happened for the sake of simplicity…..my pride…..and more importantly my pocket.

Parts supplier has already agreed to cover replacement if it has been a faulty CSC all along.

Next question, if it is possible to pop the seals when bleeding, is that assuming the part is already faulty and due to fail anyway or are these parts not that durable to begin with and I should be more careful? (Use manual bleeding instead of easi bleed kit).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Saloon( sadly died at age 20 due to a hart attack)

Trim : SXI limited edition

Engine : 2.0 16v DTI

Year : 2003

Mileage : 140000

No it means it was a defective part the parts supplier got delivered, it happens all it needs is to be assembled on a wonk but passes the quick test to only give way soon after fitting.

Ps, The eezi bleed is much better than pumping the pedal the old way, it puts less stress on the parts.

6. Thanks Fastcabs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by northpole View Post
    No it means it was a defective part the parts supplier got delivered, it happens all it needs is to be assembled on a wonk but passes the quick test to only give way soon after fitting.

Ps, The eezi bleed is much better than pumping the pedal the old way, it puts less stress on the parts.
    Awesome. Fingers crossed it’s as straight forward a fix as suggested and it was just a case of bad luck with a dodgy part.

8. Likes northpole liked this post

Thread Information