Thread: Signum Roofbars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Signum Roofbars

Anyone had trouble fitting signum roofbars?
    I have bought a set of the genuine Vx bars from my local dealer and the are very difficult to fit. The spring clamps are very stiff and to actally get the mechanism to lock into the slots on the roof is virtually impossible withouth break your fingers.
    Anyone else had trouble?
    Thanks
    Decho

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm about to take delivery of the same roof bars. Based on the Vx bars I had for my Astra G, don't the clamping bits that are on the bars have adjustment for tightness? i.e. how tight they are before they slip into the bits on the car so that you can make them tight enough that they get a good clamp, but loose enough so that they go on and off easily. Don't these bars have that sort of thing?

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The problem is that they appear to fit into the slots ok and there's a lever that moves sideways that is used to engage the hooks to the bracket on the car roof. A Spring loaded clamp is then used to secure the whole mechanism - its this spring loaded clamp that also loosens the whole bracket to allow it to be adjusted.
    The problem I am having is engaging the the hooks using the lever - one just refuses to move far enough to allow the clamp to close. I did manage it once but just about broke my fingers in the process! Then getting the thing locked was very difficult
    Either the set I have got are faulty or it is just a **** design. I previously had an Omega with roofbars and they were a joy to use.
    I'll be very interested to know how you get on - mine are going back to the dealer!
    Decho

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hmm, well I'll let you know how I get on when I get mine next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

They are the same as vectra C, very tight. You can adjust them a little I think so ease the use.

I have the roof rail versions on my Bigbum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hiya.

I had the same problem signum with vx bars, I think the problem is two fold. New bars in new clamps. I had to use a big long screw driver to leaver the the clamp across in first time (checking no to damage car (bars go in bin if broken, i cry if car broken)). Used them about 5 times now there a good fit, easy to use now they have worn together. I think it might be the new rubber on the feet of bars and maybe paint on clamps.

Ashtoroth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for that info - its really useful to know that the bars are not faulty - I'll try again tomorrow night.
    Cheers,
    Decho

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yer, mine are the same ( very tight ) I also broke two nails first time I fitted them, very painfull!! , mine are the ones that go onto a fix point system, when you do get them on they are excellent , very sturdy and safe, great system shame about the getting on. Still only use them when we go on a bike ride!! Oh and also very little wind noise!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    I'm about to take delivery of the same roof bars. Based on the Vx bars I had for my Astra G, don't the clamping bits that are on the bars have adjustment for tightness? i.e. how tight they are before they slip into the bits on the car so that you can make them tight enough that they get a good clamp, but loose enough so that they go on and off easily. Don't these bars have that sort of thing?

D
    I think the you got the tighten the clamp's to about 6 or 8 NM its dos'nt sound thight. I got a touque gadet thingy with me roof bar's. Ive not fitted them yet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by decho View Post
    The problem I am having is engaging the the hooks using the lever - one just refuses to move far enough to allow the clamp to close. I did manage it once but just about broke my fingers in the process! Then getting the thing locked was very difficult
    Either the set I have got are faulty or it is just a **** design. I previously had an Omega with roofbars and they were a joy to use.
    I'll be very interested to know how you get on - mine are going back to the dealer!
    Finally got round to fitting mine for the first time, and I must say it was a cinch - went on really easily. I can see what you were saying about the lever with the hook moving far enough, but I found that you simply let the clamping lever to do the work for you. I just needed to push the hooked lever far enough over to then let the clamping lever go past it and complete the manoeuvre and lock it all down. Then the locking covers just push on and lock. The key locking part is reasonably tight, but nothing outrageous - at least it means it wont' rattle.

Took the car for a test drive and everything is nice and solid - the one thing I did notice was that there was a bit more wind noise than I was expecting. At motorway speeds it was 'wooing' quite a bit - maybe it was just the particular direction of the wind.

Overall very pleased with them, look okay, fit securely and quickly.

D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information