Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : Life

Engine : Z19DT

Year : 07

Default Intermittent dash turning off/not turning on at all

I've had the seemingly common dash issues where it turns off mid drive, or just doesn't turn on at all for about 2 years now, I reckon I'm missing 5k miles from my odo and it's gotten worse recently so am having another go at fixing it. I don't know if other people that have had this issue had the same, but sometimes I can get the dash to turn back on my flashing my hazards or turning my lights on.
    I've re-reviewed the threads in can find on here and so far have cleaned and checked every fuse in the glove box and boot, cleaned the abs plug under the bonnet and removed the dashboard itself and cleaned the plug and connector to no avail.
    The last 2 options before replacing the CIM is the earth connector and opening up the dash and reflowing all the solder.

Questions are, Where's the earth connection on the steering column and how do I access it?
    Is there a common component inside the dash that has faulty soldering to check rather than doing everything.
    And how much am I looking at these days to have a new CIM programmed?
    Last edited by Drogen24; 5th September 2021 at 21:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra 1.9 cdti

Trim : sri

Engine : 120 8v

Year : 2006

Mileage : 84000

I am following this, mine packed up 2 days ago after having had same issue over a year for a few times where it cut out, but mine was initially, turn car off then it came back, or if I got home, left it till I next used it, it was fine..came back once just going over a big of rough road,,
    I haven't actually checked anything much, but I flipped the fuse box under the bonnet looking for fuse 26 and don't have one lol, so presume it's elsewhere?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by firebeast View Post
    fuse 26 and don't have one lol, so presume it's elsewhere?
    It's on the side of the glovebox with the passenger door open, marked as airbag for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks but did just look at it, lol, after a check on where they were... it's not that, sadly. I have don't the abs plug but like most of it, they are all sweet. I haven't took the dash out yet, but will look at that sometime tomorrow.
    I take it you didn't find any dodgy solder anywhere inside your clocks, as that's what I am hoping for, got a mate who could re solder all of it if needed, lol ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : SXI limited edition

Engine : 2.0 16v DTI

Year : 2003

Mileage : 140000

replace the fuse anyway you might find the problem to go away... to much resistance in the material... I've sorted out a whole load of problems by just replacing seemingly fine fuses with new ones to find the problems to go away.... tested old fuses and all of them had to much resistance... the canbus system picks up on this and either reports problems or worse stops power to stuff to save the circuitry and that is without blowing the old fuse as it let's through to much power.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by northpole View Post
    replace the fuse anyway you might find the problem to go away... to much resistance in the material... I've sorted out a whole load of problems by just replacing seemingly fine fuses with new ones to find the problems to go away.... tested old fuses and all of them had to much resistance... the canbus system picks up on this and either reports problems or worse stops power to stuff to save the circuitry and that is without blowing the old fuse as it let's through to much power.
    Will get some tomorrow and give it a try, thanks. Will be using the wife and GPS phone app today, had the car 10 yrs so can almost drive it blindfold lol.

7. Likes northpole liked this post
    Midlands - Vxr Owning Dick Dog_Book's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : VXR

Engine : Z28NEH

Quote Originally Posted by firebeast View Post
    Thanks but did just look at it, lol, after a check on where they were... it's not that, sadly. I have don't the abs plug but like most of it, they are all sweet. I haven't took the dash out yet, but will look at that sometime tomorrow.
    I take it you didn't find any dodgy solder anywhere inside your clocks, as that's what I am hoping for, got a mate who could re solder all of it if needed, lol ?
    You don’t have an abs plug? All Vectras came with ABS and the canbus runs through it so it’s needed for the car to work.
    Vectra VXR estate 2007 Sapphire Black
    Teapot Tuned 255/300
    Eibachs B8's, fully loaded factory options

Tech2 & MDI diagnostics + SPS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : SXI limited edition

Engine : 2.0 16v DTI

Year : 2003

Mileage : 140000

Quote Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
    You donít have an abs plug? All Vectras came with ABS and the canbus runs through it so itís needed for the car to work.
    It's a typo... he meant to say he hasn't looked or cleaned the abs cable connector.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by northpole View Post
    replace the fuse anyway you might find the problem to go away... to much resistance in the material
    I did give the contacts a little sand to remove some of the crap that was on them but for £7.50 I've just bought 145 fuses off eBay so can replace them all. Give that a go tomorrow and hope it works. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

North Pole was indeed correct, typo, it was not an issue,, went for about 60 miles then it came back on lol, possibly caused by rough b roads, which is when it's come back on before, though initially afterwards,, the revs were staying below 1k and sluggish, but everything else was fine. Revs etc were then fine for rest of the day no problem on the same rough country lanes.....only light left on the display recently was exhaust emissions till it fired BTW, that has always been there,, the rest of it was always very short time spells, till weekend then its been off till lunchtime today,, which was proper random..
    Soo,, does that point to anything in particular or is it just a case of do fuses, then if not joy, take the display our?
    The car has been sweet over the years tbh, still original g/box at 133k and still gave nearly 60mpg today, so I do kind of want to sort it so long as it's not costing a shed load, as need some more tyres soon,, which I did another thread on lol.

12. Likes northpole liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information