0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : SXI limited edition

Engine : 2.0 16v DTI

Year : 2003

Mileage : 140000

Quote Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
    I do wonder sometimes why i bother taking pics and explanations in a car diary.
    Let me say this the diary is a logbook of what you've done to your car, not a manual or how2...
    as your diary doesn't state i have done every job there is on these cars people will not look for it if they have a specific problem, nor will a google search show your diary as a source with answers, so get over yourself.

If you want to tell people i have done it it is in my diary than say that, preferably with pointing out in which actual post you've done said job, otherwise just say nothing if you can't be helpful.... and what you should really do is make how2's than you can state i made a how2 look at that.. but just telling people that if they would have looked in your 900000000 page diary they would have found the answer isn't helpful at all... maybe if you'd point out the post in which you tackled said problem it would be. or just give them the right information by actually writing the stuff down... again look at your diary and your explanations, you might realize that you can update and add a wealth of how2's as you've done a lot and documented it just fine... you just present it in the wrong section.

It's why i don't bother taking pictures if i know i'm not making a how2, especially if it just goes into my diary aka logbook unless it's really something that just needs to be seen because it's not normal.

oh and one more point i want to make... change your signature so your diary actually can be clicked on when you reply or put at least a link to your diary in your reply especially if you are wondering why you bother putting info in it.

@OP the worst bit is he doesn't mean it like how it comes over and he is a nice person. and yes he has loads of explanations in his diary but be warned it's long and has loads of pictures, the info you are after is in there but it'll take quite some browsing before you get to it. I actually took the time to go through his when i first joined the forum and found a lot of helpful information and part numbers in his diary.

Midlands - Vxr Owning Dick Dog_Book's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    313 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : VXR

Engine : Z28NEH

Year : 07

Quote Originally Posted by jimhammer View Post
    Dog_Book I would love to read your car diary, but where is the link? I am sure I have looked in the past without success.
    https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showt...k-s-VXR-estate
    Vectra VXR estate 2007 Sapphire Black
    Teapot Tuned 255/300
    Eibachs B8's, fully loaded factory options

Tech2 & MDI diagnostics + SPS

3. Likes northpole liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks Dog_Book now bookmarked for future reference.
    northpole no offence was taken by his earlier post but agree that a link would be helpful as it is a very useful resource.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    313 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by northpole View Post
    Let me say this the diary is a logbook of what you've done to your car, not a manual or how2...
    as your diary doesn't state i have done every job there is on these cars people will not look for it if they have a specific problem, nor will a google search show your diary as a source with answers, so get over yourself.

If you want to tell people i have done it it is in my diary than say that, preferably with pointing out in which actual post you've done said job, otherwise just say nothing if you can't be helpful.... and what you should really do is make how2's than you can state i made a how2 look at that.. but just telling people that if they would have looked in your 900000000 page diary they would have found the answer isn't helpful at all... maybe if you'd point out the post in which you tackled said problem it would be. or just give them the right information by actually writing the stuff down... again look at your diary and your explanations, you might realize that you can update and add a wealth of how2's as you've done a lot and documented it just fine... you just present it in the wrong section.

It's why i don't bother taking pictures if i know i'm not making a how2, especially if it just goes into my diary aka logbook unless it's really something that just needs to be seen because it's not normal.

oh and one more point i want to make... change your signature so your diary actually can be clicked on when you reply or put at least a link to your diary in your reply especially if you are wondering why you bother putting info in it.

@OP the worst bit is he doesn't mean it like how it comes over and he is a nice person. and yes he has loads of explanations in his diary but be warned it's long and has loads of pictures, the info you are after is in there but it'll take quite some browsing before you get to it. I actually took the time to go through his when i first joined the forum and found a lot of helpful information and part numbers in his diary.
    Not entirely, i learnt from pictures and posts from the forum. So when i have done stuff i try and take as many photos as possible so that anyone doing similar can see how its done. You'll also note that if its something not obvious i do a right up of the important points. Such as posting a detailed thread after a lot of research https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showt...8t-VXR-3-0cdti

I do this to help others as i searched high and low for info when i first had a Vectra. But in my head someone whos been on the forum before me or before Ive posted something would have seen what i have posted. So that's why it bugs me when i take photo after photo and insert so many for afterwards someone to say they need to search for something they don't know the location of as they would have seen it in my pictures you see. I read every thread, only engine related ones for the v6 CDTI and the 1.8s i tend to ignore as i hate those engines but even now i can reel off common faults and solutions to them

Thats why i say it, and you don't need a link you can see the diary section and when a new post is created when you go onto the forum website. I read other diary's, all the photos make for good reference. I even caught myself out the other week when i was trying to work out what was wrong with my NS abs loom. It had been wring for a couple of years, i looked back loads and saw it as i had the body side pointing down to the strut not up
    Teapot Tuned 255/300

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
    Not entirely, i learnt from pictures and posts from the forum. So when i have done stuff i try and take as many photos as possible so that anyone doing similar can see how its done. You'll also note that if its something not obvious i do a right up of the important points. Such as posting a detailed thread after a lot of research https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showt...8t-VXR-3-0cdti

I do this to help others as i searched high and low for info when i first had a Vectra. But in my head someone whos been on the forum before me or before Ive posted something would have seen what i have posted. So that's why it bugs me when i take photo after photo and insert so many for afterwards someone to say they need to search for something they don't know the location of as they would have seen it in my pictures you see. I read every thread, only engine related ones for the v6 CDTI and the 1.8s i tend to ignore as i hate those engines but even now i can reel off common faults and solutions to them

Thats why i say it, and you don't need a link you can see the diary section and when a new post is created when you go onto the forum website. I read other diary's, all the photos make for good reference. I even caught myself out the other week when i was trying to work out what was wrong with my NS abs loom. It had been wring for a couple of years, i looked back loads and saw it as i had the body side pointing down to the strut not up
    Your missing the point mate...Your diary is a logbook not a how2. It doesn't show up in specific searches for a certain problem...

So just telling people look in my diary as I have described how to do it is kinda rude... especially if you don't provide a link to the actual post you made that highlights that problem.

But I do agree, you have loads of info in your diary that is well documented and has loads of informative pictures.... but the point i made in the first paragraph is still valid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    313 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by northpole View Post
    Your missing the point mate...Your diary is a logbook not a how2. It doesn't show up in specific searches for a certain problem...

So just telling people look in my diary as I have described how to do it is kinda rude... especially if you don't provide a link to the actual post you made that highlights that problem.

But I do agree, you have loads of info in your diary that is well documented and has loads of informative pictures.... but the point i made in the first paragraph is still valid.
    No the point im making is that they have been on the forum when its been posted so would have seen it, a bit like how we have both seen the guys post fitting AP coil overs. Without rechecking i can tell you the front struts are handed and the springs blue/black As soon as i read coil-overs i started to get anxious, but then seeing the handed struts rather than those JOMS which have the hose and loom bracket on both sides i calmed down. I hope the shocks are good quality.
    And i make it my business to read old diary's to gain info, so yeah someone joining after i might go well its in my diary because i don't understand why it hasn't been looked at? But that's just me isnt it because i cant understand why someone wouldn't read all unread posts next time they log on.
    Teapot Tuned 255/300

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not everyone remembers every single post on one specific forum... hell I am on more than 9 forums and active on all... it is one of the reasons I use tapatalk so I can keep my eye out on all of them... and if something doesn't apply to me, my car or the plans I have for my car it is looked at commented on and I am done with it... but yeah if you are new... and you join a forum that has been around for years... well some info might not be seen it might not even pop up because the browser is set to block all notifications...

So not everyone thinks like you and no your diary is not a how2... want to be helpful browse through your diary, find the post with the specific problems. And link to it stating the post to look at.

Again you are missing the point I am making. I know you can't wrap your head around it but not everyone reads everything... I haven't... but I know where to look and how to get info up from the site quick enough without having to ask and I do browse through diaries mostly to see modifications.

Anyway if you don't get the point I will leave it at this, at least you now know it's not the best way of replying to someone with a problem.
    Last edited by northpole; 4th May 2021 at 21:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.8 VVT

Year : 2007

Mileage : ... 244K!

Maybe in the how to's we need a dogbook diary index page ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by JagRigger View Post
    Maybe in the how to's we need a dogbook diary index page ?
    Yeah no.... he needs to make how2's or change his attitude about people not being able to find his posts in his diary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    313 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I’m not bothered about people finding posts, it’s the fact people don’t read new posts. A bit like how I just logged on and saw this
    Thats what I keep saying I don’t understand.
    Teapot Tuned 255/300

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information