User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car unlocking and windows dropping. Key Fob?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : GTS

Engine : 1.8

Year : 2004

Default Car unlocking and windows dropping. Key Fob?

Done a LOT of searching and this seems a not too uncommon problem but no one has posted a solution other than "it sorted itself". Well mine hasn't.

Had a key issue 5 months back as outlined in this thread. I had new micro buttons soldered in and everything worked fine.

Two weeks ago i came out to the car to find my windows down and car still locked. Without boring you to death with a protracted detailing of each day since, i've found the car is unlocking the driver's door, immediately followed by the remaining three doors, then simultaneously dropping the windows. As no one gets into the car, it relocks after 30 seconds leaving the car locked, but windows open.

The reason for focusing on the key is i went shopping a few days back and as soon as i took the key from the ignition the car would unlock and drop and the windows. If the car was unlocked, it'd flash the indicators and drop the windows. Sometimes only half way, but mostly all the way. So to avoid getting the car soaked i parked it overnight in my garage which is about 80 feet from the house. Came out the next morning and all the windows are up and car is still locked. I done nothing, left the key in the garage, and went off for the day. Came home, opened the garage and the windows are dropped and car is locked (assumably it unlocked, dropped the windows, then relocked when the doors were not opened).

My bedroom and Living room are right beside where the car is parked (same end of the house). So i assume this is why the car opened and dropped the windows when it was parked outside (within range), but not when in the garage as it was out of range.

Before anyone suggests it, i don't keep the keys on me. They are left on a bedside locker when i'm not in the car so i'm not pressing the button by mistake.

Things i've done include stripping the key and cleaning it with contact cleaner and isopropyl alcohol, new switches, checking the solders (re-soldering in one instance), re-syncing the key to the car, spraying the door locking mechanism and lubing it ( the key lock in the driver's door is very stiff. When i turned the key to unlock it the key stayed in the forward position and the windows dropped until i manually turned the key back. Same when locking it)

So anyone any suggestions? At present the car is in the garage, locked, but with the key on the bench to see if the fault is still there or gone.

One thing to note, this never happens when the key is in the ignition. Only when its removed and although it may not do it for a day or two, when it starts again it'll get progressively worse until the point where as soon as the key is removed from the ignition it starts.

I priced a new key and i'm looking at €190 (Ł175). Wil get one if needs be, but it'll be the last option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Have you tried disconnecting the earth lead on the battery for 30 min to reset the whole system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra VXR

Trim : VXR

Engine : 28NEH

Year : 07

Mileage : 74,500

Is this your only key ? If not use the other key.
    where did you get this one from as could be faulty sending info when it shouldn’t.
    As it’s repeating/transmitting the unlock which opens windows and rest of it.
    Last edited by Jon1796; 7th October 2020 at 17:38.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by davoc220 View Post
    Have you tried disconnecting the earth lead on the battery for 30 min to reset the whole system?
    Yes. No joy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1796 View Post
    Is this your only key ? If not use the other key.
    The other key, as outlined in the thread i linked above, is now defunct. Issue with the transponder in the key which lead to immobilizer issues.
    where did you get this one from as could be faulty sending info when it shouldn’t.
    The key? Its the spare/second key i got with the car. It sat in a drawer for the 8/9 years i've owned the car. Only started using it the last 5 months. All without issue until now.
    As it’s repeating/transmitting the unlock which opens windows and rest of it.
    That seems to be the case. Funny that it is only now acting up after 5 months of issue free working.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just want to add, the key i'm using locks the car, unlocks it, starts the car, and will activate the windows (when the buttons are held) all without issue.

The problem is the car unlocking itself and dropping the windows which, as per the above, is directly related to the key as the removal of the key from proximity to the car stops this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It could be something as simple as WiFi signal causing it, when I had the discovery, BT WIFI signal played havoc with the alarm and immobiliser, I thought it was BS until I left it at my dads and it wouldn’t start let alone unlock off the key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : SXI limited edition

Engine : 2.0 16v DTI

Year : 2003

Mileage : 140000

open the key and check the circuit-board, the unlock button might be the problem, you can actually buy them off eBay and solder new ones on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by northpole View Post
    open the key and check the circuit-board, the unlock button might be the problem, you can actually buy them off eBay and solder new ones on
    Done that a few weeks back, actually months back i think.

The problem, and i'll probably jinx it now, has been resolved. I'm not sure which solution worked, but the one thing i did this time that i didn't do the other times was the WD-40/electrical contact cleaner into the lock of the driver's door.

Its been three days or so, and the last two i've been driving it regularly, and not a single issue.

10. Likes Dog_Book, northpole liked this post
    VIP-Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI

Engine : Diesel 150 bhp

Year : 07

Apoligies if I'm being daft here, but given you can access the car, could you not get a key from a scrappie, swap the blades over and then just sync the new key with the car?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information