User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Help troubleshooting Sony 504z amp power issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : GTS

Engine : 1.8

Year : 2004

Default Help troubleshooting Sony 504z amp power issue.

As per the title i need help. I'm out of my depth when it comes to electronics.

The car came with a Pioneer radio installed and the previous owner gave me the original OEM radio he removed. The car is equipped with the original 4 speakers (two front, two back), and two speakers in the rear window shelf installed by the previous owner.

He also installed a Sony Xplod, 504z, 500w amp. It is wired to the cars own audio system, the front and back speakers as well as the two in the rear window shelf. The cars original radio will run only the cars original speakers, but the Pioneer runs all the speakers (original ones and the ones he installed).

My problem is this.

I didn't like not having the steering controls (the Pioneer won't work off the steering wheel controls) so i changed the pioneer out to the car's original radio. It was simple enough. Pull out the Pioneer, slide in the original one, job done.

Roll on a few years and i decided to put the pioneer back into the car and redo/tidy the wiring for the shelf speakers to the amp (as the previous guys attempts were functional, but lacked any sort of tidiness).

Now the cars original speakers work and i get good sound, but the speakers in the rear shelf don't work, and i've noticed the power/protector light on the amp is not on.

I checked the power and there is 12v going to the amp directly from the battery (the battery fuse is fine), and the two 25 amp fuses in the Amp are also fine.

I then checked the earth and still nothing. So i used a jump lead and connected the earth from the earth terminal lead off the amp, to the earth of the battery and still no light on the unit.

So there is power going to the unit but it is simply not powering up/working.

Is it knackered or is there anything else i can check.

I'll remind anyone replying that i'm a functional idiot when it comes to wiring so be gentle, talk slow, and where possible use crayons.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Saloon( sadly died at age 20 due to a hart attack)

Trim : SXI limited edition

Engine : 2.0 16v DTI

Year : 2003

Mileage : 140000

Simple enough... it needs a 12v remote connected to the 12v remote on the amp... usually that is the blue/ white wire for the antenna at least that is how it is labelled on the radio... so you need to pull that extra wire found between the rca cable to that and connect that to the 12v remote on the amp side... job done.

When the radio turns on it will power up the amp., when you turn the radio off(or put it in standby) it turns the amp off.

Without that wire the amp will not come on.. it is that simple.

Do blue/white from radio to rem on the amp.
    You can pull an extra wire if the rca cable doesn't have it.. any cheap speaker wire will do.
    Last edited by northpole; 13th September 2020 at 21:32.

3. Thanks Castiel thanked for this post
    Likes Castiel, bigmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : GTS

Engine : 1.8

Year : 2004

All i seem to do is thank you, but here it is again, thank you.

Went out and checked the REM wire. It was in the amp, and when i pulled the radio out of the dash the wire was also at the back of the radio. However when i done a better check (laziness and not knowing what i was looking for) I found the REM wire from the amp was there but not connected to the radio.In fact it was just a stripped wire taped to other wires. I stuck a spade connector on it, plugged it into the radio then plugged the wiring loom into the car (as well as earthing the large earth to the amp) and hey presto, amp powering up.

Now the even better news.

This was obviously not done by the previous owner (i'm assuming) because I removed the Pioneer when I bought the car and the REM wire, as said above, was taped to other wires from the amp but never plugged into the radio so it was never connected and that means the speakers in the shelf have never worked. After I got power to the amp I played around with the settings of the radio and amp and now I have all 6 speakers working.

Thanks again so much for the help.

5. Likes northpole, bigmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Saloon( sadly died at age 20 due to a hart attack)

Trim : SXI limited edition

Engine : 2.0 16v DTI

Year : 2003

Mileage : 140000

No thanks needed... we all had to learn somewhere in live how to do things, yours seems to be a bit later than most of us... no shame in that
    Last edited by northpole; 14th September 2020 at 13:11.

7. Likes bigmac liked this post

Thread Information