2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : CDXi

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 2004

Hello . Im also from Adelaide and new to these forums. I bought a Vectra CDXi v6 manual myself the other month as being from the UK originally I thought a Vectra would be something pretty reliable and easy to fix as it was a common car in Europe even if they are a pretty rare sight over here. Imacculate outside and in with the heated leather interior and all the toys , 110km which is really low milage for a 15+ year old car . I didnt look close enough at the engine though as I was in a bit of a rush when buying it . Turned out the rocker cover gaskets were leaking oil quite bad and after doing a bit of reading up on these cars it turns out they need the timing belt done at 120k .
    So tracked down a reasonable mechanic online who's prices were reasonable and he had some very good reviews that he was good and fair and honest , so I run the car down to him and had a chat about it and agreed on the price to do the big 120k service and the rocker covers. Turned out the radiator had been bodged up and had stop leak in it as it had corroded through in a couple of spots. So decided to get that replaced instead of the timing belt.
    Got the car back and it started leaking oil pretty bad. Turned out the plastic rocker covers were no good . I spent the afternoon at Upullit ripping apart an older vectra 2.6 V6 with a hacksaw, a crowbar and a pair of tin snips to get at its metal rocket covers as I had read online that they can fit and are better than the plastic ones. After I had destroyed everything above the cam covers I realised I needed a half decent socket set with all the bendy bits.
    Took the metal covers down to the mechanic and realised the oil fillers in a different spot. So he said he'll have a go at fixing them again but could only source a cover that was a bit shabby. That hasn't worked and is still leaking.
    Can't get the parts through Holden anymore , they list a pair of cam covers and gaskets for $840 but no longer stocked. So after a chat with the mechanic we decided on using the metal covers for the time being and if the oil filler cap is inaccessible after I can always top it up when needed through the dipstick tube. Will find out in the next day or two if that worked lol.
    I found the leak on this car the first day I drove it , had it 4 weeks and haven't driven it for 3 of them . In the week I drove it the center display info screen thing started showing a pixel squiggle that seems to multiply and get bigger each time you start the car . Got another one from upullit for $8 as when the woman at the check out asked what it was I said I don't know really .. it tells the time and stuff I guess its a clock . So only charged me the price of an indash clock so I considered that a result.
    Also when I got it back from the mechanic the first time. It was getting late in the evening so I took it through the car wash on the way home . Was a chilly night so the back window started to mist up a bit . Pulled up down a side street to work out which one of the tiny buttons down there were the demisters . Pushed the button and heard a little click from the rear which I thought was odd. Drove down the road a bit and went over a bump and the boot popped up and I couldn't shut it again. Which is a pain in the arse when its dark as all the interior lights come on . After driving a bit more and I had to put on the heated glass again the boot lock solenoid starts screaming and making all sorts of weird noises. Ended up stripping the door lock out and disconnecting the wiring so I didn't have to disconnect the battery all the time instead of letting it run flat because half the lights on the car stay on. Got another lock and solenoid to put back on it when I get the car back for the bargain price of $15 from upullit again lol.
    Anyway. long story short , not to sure what im going to do with it when I get it back to be honest . Been thinking of just trying to sell it on and hoping the clean appearance and low k's get me some money back , but at the end of the day I want to rise above these set backs and hopefully have a result . The mechanic reckons the only real issue with the car it is those pesky rocker covers and the rest of its in pretty good nick so im currently trying to email UK supppliers and track some down for a reasonable price.. The journey into Vectra ownership begins

2. Likes northpole, JOHNBOY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Saloon( sadly died at age 20 due to a hart attack)

Trim : SXI limited edition

Engine : 2.0 16v DTI

Year : 2003

Mileage : 140000

@mR_jOHNNO: hello but it would be better if you would have started your own introduction topic... especially since you:
    1- didn't put up a picture...
    2- have quite the story to tell about your car...
    3- Also this thread is merely for introducing the OP... not other people from the same area...

So might i suggest you copy and paste your post and put up your own? and add a picture of your car otherwise you'll just get to see this emoji: : and receive loads of hi's with requests to show a picture of the car.

4. Likes soulman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

No worries . I'll do that and take some pics once I get the car back

6. Likes northpole liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Monaro

Trim : VXR

Engine : 6.0 LS2

Year : 2006

Welcome to the site. Can't be many Vectra's over there? I don't think I've ever seen one on here before

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Theres a few but it wasnt a hugely popular car as most Aussies tend to go for the bigger Holden Commodores with the big american v6's and v8's in them. The vectra B was available here as a cheapish mid size car but when Holden decided to release the vectra C they wanted to go a bit upmarket with it and it was aimed at the Euro buyers who were buying the Audi A4's and Passats and 5 series beemers . We got it with the 2.2 4 cylinder lump as the Vectra CD . Then there was the CDX which I think had the 3.2 v6 in it. Then the top of the line CDXi which had the leather interior and the sports suspension etc which they were asking $50000 (aus) for . Apparently the buying public couldn't get their head around a mid sized car with a Holden badge costing that much when they could get the larger rear wheeled drive Commodore with the V8 for similar money so they cut the price quite drastically on it but it was discontinued after a few years . Just realised your driving a Monaro so you proberly know a lot more about big Aussie motors than me lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra VXR x2

Trim : VXR

Engine : Z28NEH

Year : 07

Mileage : 75,000

My old mate moved to aus a few years back now the first thing he did was go and buy a Commodore put some new tyres on the back, laid a few 11's and went straight back for anther set he did comment they were a bit shocked to have him back so quick ������ well he had loads off money, well did now he's gotta pay her off ������

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Holden Vectra

Trim : CDX V6

Engine : 3.2L

Hey there @mR_jOHNNO, I have just read your reply, it's good to know that I found someone else with a Vectra 3.2L in Adelaide.

I have read your long message and it is a shame that your car got many issues. To be honest I had some issues as well and at some point I regret a bit and I though I should have bought a japanese car or some easier one to repair and get the parts in Australia. I had an issue related to oil leaking and the cover gaskets as well, and it was fixed by a mechanic here in Adelaide. Also, I realised most of mechanics do not know very well Vectras, even a mechanic in Melbourne put a wrong part in my car and I just realised 9 months after.

Anyway, finally my Vectra is almost 100% fixed, I am only waiting for a windshield waterpump coming from China (13 AUD). I will send you a private message and maybe we can give us more details. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by mR_jOHNNO View Post
    No worries . I'll do that and take some pics once I get the car back

11. Likes mR_jOHNNO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Holden Vectra

Trim : CDX V6

Engine : 3.2L

Thanks to everyone for your welcoming messages! I am enjoying this site, it has lots of useful information. I hope I can help other mates as well.

Ps: If anyone has a similar Vectra 3.2L V6 send me a private message and we might exchange some experiences/tricks/advice with that specific car. Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information