Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Astra

Trim : SRI

Engine : 1.9CDTI

Year : 2007

Default Z19DTH Inlet Manifold change - pump problems

Hi, I've got a problem doing an inlet manifold Z19DTH Astra H - hopefully it's still OK to post here as this forum seems more active than Astra ones I can find, and I've got a lot of information from here.

Locked the fuel pump sprocket off with 2 hex bolts from cambelt cover (dont have tools or confidence to remove belt). Basically sprocket wont free from pump shaft. Removed 3 nuts from fuel pump studs, loosened nut on shaft, gave it a tap. Nothing.
    Made a puller and bent my puller, still no joy. I'm not prepared to use any more force than this, so I thought I'd abort this job. With pump free to slide on its studs, the sprocket did move inwards towards the engine until the sprocket was hard against the casing (moving with the pump).
    I can see this has moved the belt inwards (towards the engine) by about 1mm, because the a shiny part of the other top sprocket is showing, that was obviously the original belt track.

My question are two:

1) My understanding was that locking the pump sprocket would stop rotational movement and hold tension on the belt. I'm concerned that the belt have moved slightly inwards off it's original track, Is this normal? The holes in the sprocket that I put the locking bolts through are not threaded,
    so in hindsight, I can't see how the pump sprocket would not move inwards when trying to withdraw the pump - unless I've done this incorrectly? If after reassembly the belt doesn't shift back, is it likely to throw the belt off when the engine turns over?

2) Upon attempting to reconnect the HP pipe, this no longer 'fits like a glove' and the elbow end that connects to the pump is off by about 1mm from sitting in the the connection properly. I can't see that there is any adjustment possible when slacking of the studs bolts to bring this back into line. It looks at though the pump body could moved (rotated) slightly. This again makes me wonder whether I did not lock the pump sprocket correctly and something has changed, or I'm being paranoid.

Any advice?
    Last edited by random21323; 19th May 2020 at 12:33.

Thread Information