Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Vectra

Trim : LS/Life

Engine : 1.8

Year : 2004

Default Laptop video stuttery

Can anyone offer some jargon free suggestions about video recording and playback on my laptop?

It's an ancient dual core device, 3 GB ram (that's the limit of my technical knowledge) somehow constantly updated resulting in it running Windows 10 pro, up to date.

I need to record some videos for a presentation, but when I've recorded them using my Logitech webcam, it stutters both while recording and subsequent playback. The sound is unaffected.

Yet it works perfectly smooth with live streaming conference programmes.

What an I look at?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Saloon( sadly died at age 20 due to a hart attack)

Trim : SXI limited edition

Engine : 2.0 16v DTI

Year : 2003

Mileage : 140000

Your looking at codecs.... basically whatever you are using to play the video you might want to check if your system has the best player for it....

Try: gomplayer or 5kplayer.. both programs are free and both should run any type of video without stuttering.... 5kplayer actually is the better one for AVI format.

3. Thanks Darklord thanked for this post
    Likes Woody liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 2t

Trim : standard

Engine : z20net

Year : 08

Mileage : 32000

Might not help..but it might. I have recently completed a clean install of windows 10,on my laptop. Spec wise it works as it should BUT if I use the dedicated driver/software for the onboard graphics (AMD Radeon),even the newest drivers dont help with the video playback issues ..ie lagging and freezes.
    If I uninstall the drivers,and revert to the default windows drivers the problem stops. And tbh I cant tell any differences between the two.

5. Thanks Darklord thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by nikroc View Post
    Might not help..but it might. I have recently completed a clean install of windows 10,on my laptop. Spec wise it works as it should BUT if I use the dedicated driver/software for the onboard graphics (AMD Radeon),even the newest drivers dont help with the video playback issues ..ie lagging and freezes.
    If I uninstall the drivers,and revert to the default windows drivers the problem stops. And tbh I cant tell any differences between the two.
    You will notice it when you run high graphics games... but standard stuff will run just fine on the windows drivers.... that said.. David's can be compressed at 8k resolution, this is what causes the problem as most drivers fall over it... that is why I pointed him to another free of charge player that down grades the 8k compression to something smaller and plays without stuttering...

In these cases it is always the codec used that causes the problem... Nothing else that causes it. Just remember that a codec actually opens up a comete file than does it's recalculation of the content... in some cases the available memory isn't enough so it uses the swap file to chuck the decompressed video (that is now at least triple the size) in there.... now all of a sudden the cpu and the hard drive speed come into the equation and this is what causes the stutter on playback.

So to summerize use 5kplayer and you'll never need to download a codec pack or see any stuttering again. Like I said the player downsizes the decompressed file and you wouldn't notice it other than when you have loads of dark content. Also it is free they have 8kplayer if you want a player that can natively play 8k content without downsizing, but it's not free.

Ps I use both gomplayer and 5kplayer for the high compressed AVI files... and when an avid about 1 fb in size gomplayer starts stuttering... 5kplayer is solid.
    I recently noticed other players struggling to deal with avi files... but 5iplayer always works flawlessly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the replies. I shall try and download the suggested program..

My other option (so I've been told) is to record video using my smartphone! I'll try that too. Presumably I'll be able to transfer it to the laptop then, and share it.

Technology has never been my strongest point....

The laptop is a HP Compaq 6710b. Everyone is amazed it's running Windows 10, but somehow it does...slowly...
    Last edited by Darklord; 1st March 2020 at 10:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

you probably messed up and installed 64-bit... i actually have a hp6710b it runs windows 10 pro 32 bit and it is fast... it has a whole host of programs since i upgraded the HDD to a 1 TB and it's just a normal sata 2.5 inch drive....and the reason why it still being used? simple because it has a blue-ray burner.

anyway use 5kplayer and see what happens video stutter should be gone. And if you can while shooting your videos make sure you select another compression format (mk4, mp4 etc) try and stay clear from AVI since it isn't the best for small videos anyway.
    Last edited by northpole; 1st March 2020 at 11:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by northpole View Post
    you probably messed up and installed 64-bit... i actually have a hp6710b it runs windows 10 pro 32 bit and it is fast... it has a whole host of programs since i upgraded the HDD to a 1 TB and it's just a normal sata 2.5 inch drive....and the reason why it still being used? simple because it has a blue-ray burner.

anyway use 5kplayer and see what happens video stutter should be gone. And if you can while shooting your videos make sure you select another compression format (mk4, mp4 etc) try and stay clear from AVI since it isn't the best for small videos anyway.
    Ooo I do wish I understood what all this jargon meant.

Looking at the spec, it does indeed tell me it's running 64 bit, with a 64 bit processor. Whatever that means.

It also has a 120gb hard drive, and I've been told that it's not possible or worth trying to upgrade the hard drive or memory, or anything else.

It's slow to start up, but when it's all up and running it generally seems ok. I'm starting online teaching, and will be using it far more than I've ever used its capabilities before - update to a new machine, everyone shouts at me! Yet so far, it's managed everything I've tried, except recording video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : design

Engine : 1.9 150 diesel

Year : 56

needs more memory aleast 8gb

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Mate as long as it works keep it going... I hate just replacing stuff because that is what everyone does.... worst case scenario install linux on it and watch it fly..

Ps no need for extra memeory juist set the windows swap file to a set size... ( tip: always double the windows recommended size) Than restart it it should help loads

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 2t

Trim : standard

Engine : z20net

Year : 08

Mileage : 32000

Just checked on Crucial's website...2x2gb appears to be the maximum it'll take..

Thread Information