1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : VXR

Engine : Z28NEH

Year : 07

Quote Originally Posted by JMo View Post
    Attachment 123844

Mishimoto goodies that arrived while I was working in the states.
    Just need a universal hardpipe kit, some reducers, brackets and strips of steel to mount the IC, 3/8" joiners for the trans cooler, and some trans fluid and I should have everything I need to fit it all. Probably won't start until next month now though as I still have to fit the BTCC diffuser that's sat in my garage.
    Look at the how2 for full fitting details as you don’t want it under you need it behind the crash bar to fit it properly.
    Also ignore petrol bhp figures when sizing go on the volume which you’ll find is slightly smaller than the OE if I remember the figures I wrote in the modifying section, also you might not be aware diesels use higher boost than petrols. For Eg mine at 290bhp is 1 bar, yours at 240bhp is 1.8 bar with a bigger turbo and I think just mapped it’s a safe 195bhp at 1.6 bar but I’ve not checked my old power graphs so correct me about the mapped engine pressure.

These companies put the big numbers out to make you feel good when in reality they might bear no relation to what your actually doing. Complicated thing engine tuning so much crap out there.

That exhaust should work well getting the gases out, I think my old one made by a proper race exhaust company was about that size, even with the bigger turbo etc we didn’t increase the exhaust diameter. That also is detailed in the modifying section if you have a look.

Oh and don’t fit a precat decat until you’ve fitted a hybrid and have it mapped correctly, who I can recommend Teapot to do the right way
    Vectra VXR estate 2007 Sapphire Black
    Teapot Tuned 255/300
    Eibachs B8's, fully loaded factory options

Tech2 & MDI diagnostics + SPS

2. Thanks JMo thanked for this post
    Likes JMo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 1.9 CDTi 150ps

Year : 2007

Mileage : 48,000

Quote Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
    Look at the how2 for full fitting details as you don’t want it under you need it behind the crash bar to fit it properly.
    Also ignore petrol bhp figures when sizing go on the volume which you’ll find is slightly smaller than the OE if I remember the figures I wrote in the modifying section, also you might not be aware diesels use higher boost than petrols. For Eg mine at 290bhp is 1 bar, yours at 240bhp is 1.8 bar with a bigger turbo and I think just mapped it’s a safe 195bhp at 1.6 bar but I’ve not checked my old power graphs so correct me about the mapped engine pressure.

These companies put the big numbers out to make you feel good when in reality they might bear no relation to what your actually doing. Complicated thing engine tuning so much crap out there.

That exhaust should work well getting the gases out, I think my old one made by a proper race exhaust company was about that size, even with the bigger turbo etc we didn’t increase the exhaust diameter. That also is detailed in the modifying section if you have a look.

Oh and don’t fit a precat decat until you’ve fitted a hybrid and have it mapped correctly, who I can recommend Teapot to do the right way
    What's the reason for it to go behind the crash bar? It's short enough to fit under the crash bar, and I measured the depth available behind the lower grill and the 3 inch core thickness should just fit even if I didn't remove the old IC for some reason. I sized the intercooler based on the rough rule of 3L volume per 100hp - at 10L excluding end tanks I'd say it's about the right size, and it's rated for 40psi. It should flow way better than the old core despite having similar volume.

I'll not be removing the precat until I get a hybrid - I've done my research

And when I get a hybrid I'll definitely be going back to Teapot for the map, as he did the current map and I can't fault it/him one bit.

Happy to hear that a 2.25" system would still be good for a bigger turbo, as I'm not keen on spending £400 on a turboback system when I do go hybrid.

Thanks for the insights

4. Likes Teapot liked this post
    Midlands - Vxr Owning Dick Dog_Book's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I dont know the maths behind intercoolers, and never found it on the net to work it out

Anyway, the answers lie in the how2 i mentioned you'll see all my pictures. Of course you can mount it where you want to.
    Teapot Tuned 255/300

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think after 6 months and plenty of care, cleaning and mods it's time for a before/after comparison:

Before
    IMG_2846.jpg
    IMG_2838.jpg

After
    Snapchat-1653653504~2.jpg
    Snapchat-2142116784~2.jpg
    Not doing bad for a £500 vec
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JMo; 18th February 2020 at 14:57.

7. Likes watchman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Today's job - making up a bracket to finally mount the catch can

After some hunting around in the engine bay I settled on piggybacking the bracket off the two bolts holding the ABS pump on, mocked up the shape in cardboard and got to work hacksawing some 1.5mm thick aluminium sheet from Wickes:

received_2536752823265611.jpg

With the right side flat under the ABS pump bolts, the bracket twists 90° and slots nicely through the small gap between a brake line and the loom for the ABS pump, bends towards the back of the engine bay and bends back parallel about 1cm off the back of the bay. It's upside down in the picture, but the thick bit on the left side should point up to allow the catch can to sit higher up.

Keyed, acid etched, and painted satin black to match the catch can, although the spray paint is refusing to dry in my garage in the cold unfortunately.

All that needs doing in the morning is 2 holes in the bracket to bolt onto the car, screw the catch can top mount on, and obviously the plumbing to go with it.

More interesting pictures to come tomorrow of the bracket with some holes in it, the bracket on the car, and finally the catch can fully installed - assuming all goes well.

9. Likes Dog_Book liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The catch can is on!

received_827032727763247.jpg

I opted to chop the existing pipe between the oil separator and the hard line to the intake, rotate the vertical section 180° to face the catch can, and join onto each end with a piece of copper pipe and a clamp. This seemed much easier than pulling the existing hose off the oil separator and the hard line and trying to stretch my slightly smaller ID oil line over the fitting (and it saved me some hose, which I was not sure would be long enough).

Ideally I'd have used two clamps on each of the two joins, but I only had 4 and even with just the friction fit over the copper pipe they feel plenty secure.

received_493661001309081.jpg

The only potential issue I can see is that it's a tight squeeze to get to the bottom of the catch can to remove it, but with the low amount of oil it seems the engine is currently breathing I don't think this will be a problem - at least not often. There was a thin film of oil inside the original pipe, and a drop of oil came out while I was trying to join the new pipe on, so the catch can should definitely catch something - not enough to cause concern though at the cars current mileage.

received_3096796463687990.jpg

Speaking of mileage, 2/3 days ago it hit 44k exactly as I pulled into the drive!

received_196565234899561.jpg

11. Likes Dog_Book, watchman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Nice one, looks a way better solution to the one I did years ago Is yours the later engine with the fixed top connection on the oil separator? Mine was that stupid push fit version which worked loose and would leak.
    Teapot Tuned 255/300

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
    Nice one, looks a way better solution to the one I did years ago Is yours the later engine with the fixed top connection on the oil separator? Mine was that stupid push fit version which worked loose and would leak.
    Thanks!

It's an 07 plate so I think it's the later engine? I didn't try to take it off though so I'm not sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Snapchat-1415621312.jpg

A friend was breaking his old preface Vectra, which had all of the buttons in it (but none of the features that they switch), so I picked them up and fitted them yesterday with the intent to eventually retrofit all of the features they add.

Today I ordered an auto dimming mirror and a light/rain sensor and auto light switch, which I *think* I have all of the wiring for. When that's all fitted I'll be trying to find a CDC and the associated wiring to get the sport button working. Then, traction control/ESP might be the next challenge to tackle...

15. Likes Dog_Book liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

TC switchable is easy i think its ESP thats a pain. TBH mines got ESP cant tell the difference from my old Vectra without it.
    Teapot Tuned 255/300

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information