0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Facelift

Trim : SRi

Engine : Z18XER

Year : 2006

Mileage : 84000

Quote Originally Posted by northpole View Post
    so yes these cars can be ran on a tight budget but it means DIY.
    100% agree. I used to do most things myself too because I can source parts cheaper than the dealer/garage would charge me, it saves me money and it's (to a point) quite therapeutic!
    When my daughter was born however, I quickly found that I no longer had time to do it myself, so into the garage it went.
    Things have flipped back around now though through a combination of my little girl being at an age where she's happy to entertain herself for a bit and garage bills being extortionate (£820 +VAT to change an oil cooler???).

So since buying my car in February, I (me, not a garage) have done the following:

Changed the Oil Cooler (inc. Oil and Coolant)
    Changed the exhaust manifold (not because it needed doing, but because I found a shiny 4-branch with sports cat cheap!)
    Front brakes (discs and pads), still have rears to do
    Changed cam cover
    Changed Air Filter
    Changed Pollen Filter
    Changed Spark Plugs
    Tightened bonnet cable

The above would have cost a small fortune at the garage and definitely more than I paid for the car, in actual fact its cost me around the £500 mark but could have been a lot cheaper if I had used GM filters/spark plugs and hadn't changed the manifold.
    I did have a new coil pack fitted at the dealers and got royally ripped off for it (long story), however I did get a handy check list of all the bits that needed changing enabling me to save the money I have.

I've also had 4 new tyres which with the best will in the world I can't do myself!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : SXI limited edition

Engine : 2.0 16v DTI

Year : 2003

Mileage : 140000

Oh i can get the tires off and on but it is hard work and I don't have the tools to check for the imbalance on them otherwise I would do it myself... so I have that done

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by northpole; 17th May 2018 at 09:45.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra 2007

Trim : sri

Engine : z18xer

Year : 2007

I obtained a new oil cooler from an ebay seller at about £150 - Ian, the mechanic who does most of the work, charged me £100 labour to fit it. A lot better than £820 + vat (Was that a VX stealer? BORN)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : SRI

Engine : 1.8 vvt

Yeah I do understand it is cheaper and can be therapeutic to do this yourself. But yeah again, if on a time restriction it can be frustrating. Lol.
    I've ordered new throttle body coolant pipe today. Will get it tomorrow and try my best to get it on.
    I am worried about tampering with The ecu.
    Do I have to.completely disconnect the ecu to get this pipe underneath it? Thanks again for all the hell.
    I'm learning lots of good tips on here. And the community is proper welcoming to novices like me!
    Obliged to you all.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you can see the bolts to it than yes take it off but before you do that make sure you have the pass-code for the car (that is if you run the OEM radio) if you don't run the OEM radio than go ahead and just take the battery clamps off wait for about 15 minutes before you disconnect the ECU cable crack on moving it out of the way... it's better to see clearly what you are doing than it is doing it by touch

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by beavor-bob View Post
    I obtained a new oil cooler from an ebay seller at about £150 - Ian, the mechanic who does most of the work, charged me £100 labour to fit it. A lot better than £820 + vat (Was that a VX stealer? BORN)
    Yep, Pentagon in Eccles. They wanted £295 +VAT for the oil cooler and the rest was fitting. I ended up getting the oil cooler from Pentagon's ebay shop for £135 including VAT. They couldn't (and still can't) explain the price discrepancy.

Not sure where the amount for fitting comes in either because it wasn't that bad of a job, ok it literally took me all day, but I would have expected a competent garage to have it done and dusted in a couple of hours.
    I took my time, stopped for lunch and multiple coffees and spent a good hour trying to get the exhaust manifold off and out of the engine bay as it wouldn't quite fit past the aircon compressor pipes. In the end I had to take all the intake pipework off from under the slam panel and managed to then edge it out. If I hadn't have been changing the manifold I would have left it dangling from the subframe at the bottom! After that I spent a good proportion of the time flushing the oil out of the coolant system and bleeding the system.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Double post FTW!!

Quote Originally Posted by ObiWanKenobi View Post
    Yeah I do understand it is cheaper and can be therapeutic to do this yourself. But yeah again, if on a time restriction it can be frustrating. Lol.
    I've ordered new throttle body coolant pipe today. Will get it tomorrow and try my best to get it on.
    I am worried about tampering with The ecu.
    Do I have to.completely disconnect the ecu to get this pipe underneath it? Thanks again for all the hell.
    I'm learning lots of good tips on here. And the community is proper welcoming to novices like me!
    Obliged to you all.
    If in doubt, disconnect the battery. If the ECU hasn't got power when you disconnect and reconnect it, you can't screw it up!!

Also, get one of these, it'll tell you exactly what you need to remove to get to something.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vauxhall-Ve...+haynes+manual

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

@BORNXenon when they give you quotes like that it just means they don't want to undertake the work... My neighbor has a problem with his little Chevrolet Matiz.. it revs by it's own when you let of the gaspedal and the revs slowly decline after about 3 seconds... I changed his throttle body, spark plugs and checked all his vacuum pipes non of which are leaking... so the car has a leak somewhere registering false air it took him 12 garages to finally find one that took it on as i told him you've got a vacuum leak somewhere and it needs a smoke test to find it... all the other 11 places quoted him 600 ex vat and more with the highest stating almost 1500... that is without them even looking at the car or taking it for a test drive to pinpoint my findings... the garage that took it on said they'll have it done by the end of Friday so i'm interested to see where the false air is coming from....

but that is how garages work the quotes he got from those garages he can buy another one.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra 2007

Trim : sri

Engine : z18xer

Quote Originally Posted by BORNXenon View Post
    Yep, Pentagon in Eccles. They wanted £295 +VAT for the oil cooler and the rest was fitting. I ended up getting the oil cooler from Pentagon's ebay shop for £135 including VAT. They couldn't (and still can't) explain the price discrepancy.

Not sure where the amount for fitting comes in either because it wasn't that bad of a job, ok it literally took me all day, but I would have expected a competent garage to have it done and dusted in a couple of hours.
    I took my time, stopped for lunch and multiple coffees and spent a good hour trying to get the exhaust manifold off and out of the engine bay as it wouldn't quite fit past the aircon compressor pipes. In the end I had to take all the intake pipework off from under the slam panel and managed to then edge it out. If I hadn't have been changing the manifold I would have left it dangling from the subframe at the bottom! After that I spent a good proportion of the time flushing the oil out of the coolant system and bleeding the system.
    To be fair, if one or two of the manifold bolts had broken - it would have been a lot more work to sort that out!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

@northpole I have no doubt, they told my wife to get rid of her Meriva after the Oil Pressure Sensor gave out while doing 70mph on the motorway. I cleaned (most) of the oil off the inside of the engine bay, put more oil in and started it up and watched as Oil poured out of the faulty switch. Changed the switch, problem solved. As the service was due and I didn't have time to do it myself I told her to take it in to the garage and get them to do it.
    They told her that there was oil on the ECU (checked after and it was literally a speck I had missed when cleaning it off) which meant that oil had gotten into the wiring loom and it would seep through killing sensors as it goes until it killed the ECU. They didn't even do the service!

I have checked it on multiple occasions and there is no evidence of oil in the loom and it still runs sweet as, despite not having been serviced for quite a while. First job when I get back off holiday. Pretty sure it needs new tyres too but she wants to swap it for a Corsa so I don't want to spend too much on it!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information