Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : SRI

Engine : 1.8 vvt

Year : 2007

Hi Bob.
    Got the new stat on. Didn't over tighten it to the block.
    So this is my problem.....the small pipe that clips on the top of housing of the stat is broken. I think this happened, unknowingly until this afternoon, when I removed the old one.
    This small pipe leads up behind the engine and underneath/into a silver square thing lol.
    Looks like it's got two scart plugs on top of it is the best I can describe it.
    So might need new one of them. If it's even possible to buy one.
    I mean it still clips in place but if it's pressurised I'm pretty sure it will leak. :/
    If it's not then it might dribble out a little but should be too bad.

But won't know as not gonna test til Friday when I have more time. As I work 12 hour days....
    Ohhhh enjoy your hols
    I'm trying to get this sorted as planned ages ago to go to Yarmouth with the missus this Saturday. And didn't really wanna hire a car for a day.
    Steve.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So I've since learned it's the throttle body coolant supply pipe...
    Needs to be genuine VX part. Local Dealership can get me one for £23.
    No idea how it goes on though haha. Goes under that square metal plate thing with the scart plugs on.
    In crude layman's terms.
    Any ideas?
    Steve.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra 2007

Trim : sri

Engine : z18xer

Quote Originally Posted by ObiWanKenobi View Post
    So I've since learned it's the throttle body coolant supply pipe...
    Needs to be genuine VX part. Local Dealership can get me one for £23.
    No idea how it goes on though haha. Goes under that square metal plate thing with the scart plugs on.
    In crude layman's terms.
    Any ideas?
    Steve.
    Yes, it's that delicate thing I warned you about - Why they could not use a bit of rubber pipe with a jubilee clip on both ends, beats me!
    I think I had some fun & games with it - but yours actually might be OK. As you say, see what happens when you pressurise it!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Facelift

Trim : SRi

Engine : Z18XER

Year : 2006

Mileage : 84000

The silver thing with the two scart looking plugs is your ECU. Rubbish place to put it I know!!
    Two things computers don't like are vibration and heat so where is possibly the worst place to put an ECU Vauxhall?? That's right, bolted to a hot vibrating engine!!

Don't know if your still having issues with the drain plug, but you just need to turn it as far as it will go (only about a quarter of a turn if memory serves) then pull it away from the radiator. It doesn't come out completely, but just enough for the coolant to flow out of the outlet.
    I struggled with it for about half an hour because it didn't want to budge and I didn't want to break it!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra 2007

Trim : sri

Engine : z18xer

Quote Originally Posted by BORNXenon View Post
    The silver thing with the two scart looking plugs is your ECU. Rubbish place to put it I know!!
    Two things computers don't like are vibration and heat so where is possibly the worst place to put an ECU Vauxhall?? That's right, bolted to a hot vibrating engine!!

Don't know if your still having issues with the drain plug, but you just need to turn it as far as it will go (only about a quarter of a turn if memory serves) then pull it away from the radiator. It doesn't come out completely, but just enough for the coolant to flow out of the outlet.
    I struggled with it for about half an hour because it didn't want to budge and I didn't want to break it!
    I agree, a silly place to put a ECU - but I think in previous VX's they managed to find ECU homes, that got soaked! At least it's hot & dry in the Vec C.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It was tucked safely behind the glove box on my Vec B, best place for it really. Out of the way, dry, cool(ish) and I never heard of a single ECU issue with the 2ltr Vec B, seems to be really common on later models though.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for replies guys.
    So it is the ECU? What's that silver thing to the left if my expansion tank which is labelled electronic computer unit?
    Really not trying to sound rude when I say that! Lol.
    I've loosened it ready to lift up slightly to get that hose off. Thurlow Nunn can get the hose in 2 hours notice so that's not bad.
    Like you say it's a ridiculous place to put it.
    I won't need to disconnect it completely to slide the hose underneath will I?
    Thanks for the help guys.
    Really appreciate it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by BORNXenon View Post
    I've managed to turn it quarter way after about ten minutes of killing my hands! But I cannot for the life of me pull it out away from the radiator.
    I didn't really wanna get some mole grips or pliers on there as didn't wanna knackered the knob. Lol.
    So that is the ecu then? This past week has been a nightmare.
    I know I could have just taken it to the garage and paid a fortune to get it fixed in a day, but I'm on a strict budget and in trying to do the best I can. And with you peoples help I'm actually learning about the engine on the way.
    I've been told and have very quickly learned that if you look at the engine it looks quite a complex and daunting thing. And can scare quite easily when you want to fix it.
    But if you focus on the just the individual part you need to fix, It's actually quite easy.
    And I really do appreciate all your help on this forum.
    Thank you all.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The engine ECU is bolted to the top of the engine. The unit next to the expansion tank behind the battery box is the ABS ECU, if you look at it closely you can see all the brake pipes going in and out of the pump that is below it.

The drain plug is a bit of a pain, especially if it's never been removed before, which it may not have done. Takes a lot of jiggling to break the seal.

I did use pliers on mine but was very careful not to break it.

Engines can be quite daunting, but as you say, take each little bit at a time and they aren't too bad. Main issues are access to components that may be buried in hard to get to places, space to manoeuvre components in and out (I'm looking at you exhaust manifold!), and the overriding fear that if you don't get done what you need to do in the time you have to do it, you can't get to work because you've broke your car!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : SXI limited edition

Engine : 2.0 16v DTI

Year : 2003

Mileage : 140000

the engine is just a big collection of parts that only fit one way... as long as you concentrate on the parts that need doing there isn't anything difficult, the difficulty is hidden in diagnosing the problem and having the right tools for the job (and knowing the right NM's used on torque bolts)... something as simple as an oil change can be a PITA if you don't have the needed torx bit.. and the list goes on..

you'll easily know your way around the engine if you are on a tight budget as most of the stuff you'll encounter can be DIY-ed but because it all seems daunting most people run to a garage... the only things i get done are tire fittings and the MOT... everything else I DIY... and not too long ago i had to replace my DMF, clutch , CSC and a load of other little things... i took my time as i like everything to be clean, it took me 5 days as someone that did the job before me decided it would be a good idea to use locktide on all the bolts holding the gearbox, DMF and the CSC... and i didn't want to break anything so i took my time removing the stuff carefully than cleaned every bolt and their holes out... than cleaned all the parts, changed the gearbox oil etc etc etc ... than built it all back up.. i did this all outside in the street and it wasn't even the best weather...

a garage would have only changed the DMF and clutch... so not only did i save money i made sure I got new parts at decent prices and saved about another 600 pounds by doing the job myself... in the end it all costed me just shy off 150 pounds (that included all the parts and oil needed) plus i ended up with a clean engine bay...

so yes these cars can be ran on a tight budget but it means DIY.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information