Thread: Ignition (Spark) Module & CanBus

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question Ignition (Spark) Module & CanBus

I recently had to take our 55 reg Signum 2.2 in under (extended) warranty for investigation of a briefly `dead' speedo and rev counter, which came back to life on their own after a re-start and now seem to be OK.

However, the dealer did mention that early Signums had problems with the ABS plug which could cause this problem due to the CanBus. However, they were reluctant to pull and re-seat the ABS plug because they would have to spend 45 minutes re-programming the CanBus.

So what other electrical plugs cannot easily be pulled because of this re-progamming issue, and does it include the HT ignition module above the spark plugs ?

I ask this because I am not keen on leaving the spark plugs in the head for extended intervals because of the risk (to my mind) of them seizing in. This is a known problem on some BMW turbo diesels with glowplugs - which on my previous Omega X25DT (= BMW M51 engine) packed up at 55000 miles.

Finally - does anyone have a list of which electrical plugs cannot be pulled beacause of CanBus issues?

Regards to All

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by omega2498 View Post
    I recently had to take our 55 reg Signum 2.2 in under (extended) warranty for investigation of a briefly `dead' speedo and rev counter, which came back to life on their own after a re-start and now seem to be OK.

However, the dealer did mention that early Signums had problems with the ABS plug which could cause this problem due to the CanBus. However, they were reluctant to pull and re-seat the ABS plug because they would have to spend 45 minutes re-programming the CanBus.
    I can't answer your other question about what other plugs need extended programming when pulled - but in rpely to your first point.....

If your dealer bothered to look at their tech documents properly, they'd have seen that the issue of the poor contact of the wiring harness connector on the ABS control unit was rectified in production as of May 2003, so your car wouldn't be affected by that.

There was another possibler reason for the problem you had, and there was a thread about it but I can't recall which one. I'll have a shufty....

D

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=22596

There we go - somebody else had the same problem and it was apparently down to the CIM module (situated in the steering column)

D

Thread Information