User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why oh why do insurers make things so difficult?!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Why oh why do insurers make things so difficult?!

That time of the year again and I got my insurance renewal notice through today from Direct Line. Obviously expected it to be a bit more than last year, but wasn't expecting the hike from last year - jumped up from £415 to £560!!, an increase of £145!! Same cover as last year with Protected (maximum) NCD, Motor Legal Protection and Guaranteed Hire Car.

The biggest cause of the rise was in the basic premium from £325 to £445 an increase of 38%!! The other factor was the NCD Protection which went from £55 to £76 - 38% increase again!!

So I rang them to find out what the deal was and see why it was so much, and if they could do any better. The best I got them down to £505, still £90 more than last year but a lot less than the renewal notice! This was taking into account having Mrs Duncan's car policy with them as well as our contents and buildings insurance.

The person said that the two main reasons for the increase were the way the premiums are worked out on the area you live in. Even if you live in a decent area, if a number of people have claimed in that area in then that can then affect the premiums for everyone in that area. Another reason, which I was expecting, was the fault claim I had last year. I thought that may have an effect, but even given the car I hit a 38% initial hike is just silly. Given the way they dealt with the two incidents last year (one fault and one no-fault claim), I was happy to stay with them but wasn't going to pay through the nose for it!

So I decided to go onto their website to see what a quote came to with all the same details. The only thing I couldn't add was the couple of mods I'd declared on the policy - but seeing as they had made no difference when I declared them I couldn't see it making any difference now. So, the online quote was......... £421!! That was with all the same info including the claim etc. A little bit more than last year, as you'd expect, and waaaaay less than the renewal notice. It also confirmed that what the first person said about the claims in your area affecting premiums was a load of as the online quote was obviously with the same address.

To add insult to injury, when you sign up as a new customer you can pay by instalments for no extra charge. When I renewed last year I must've missed it on the paperwork, as I'd been paying an extra 8% to pay by instalments last year. (9% on the latest renewal year!!)

So, I rang back armed with the online quote and got somebody who wasn't awfully helpful and I explained about my online quote. She said that sometimes it works out like that! So I asked if she could renew my policy with the quote I got online. No was the basic answer, she said I'd need to let the current policy lapse and take out a new one starting from that date. I thought - that's just nuts. She also said that the online quote would've had the 10% online discount. I pointed out that I should have that already applied as their TV ads state that you can renew and still get the online discount - and that the first guy had told me that it had been applied.

I also asked about the 0% instalments and why loyal renewing customers are 'penalised' and never get these offers again. Her answer again was not exactly helpful. So as I was getting nowhere with her I finished the conversation.

Whilst looking at the online quote I'd got, I noticed it had a different number to ring if you wanted to discuss it further - so I did. Thankfully I got a guy who was both helpful and knew what he was talking about and where I was coming from!

In the end, he matched the online quote I got and renewed my existing policy and amended it so that I paid by instalments with no extra charge. This meant my existing history and mod etc. all remained on the same policy, without having to add them to a new policy if I'd done what the last person said! It only took an hour on the phone talking to three different people!!! Worth it in the end as I dropped from a renewal quote of £560 to one of £421, which is only £6 more than last year, but if you take into the 8% charge I was stung for last year (and hadn't realised) it actually ends up being £27 less than last year.

As per the title thread - why oh why do insurers make things so difficult?!

Oh, rang Adrian Flux as well out of curiosity. Best they could do was £560 - coincidentaly the same as the initial renewal price from Direct Line.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The reason it's difficult, is because of the incompetent, ignorant, morons that Direct Line employ.

I binned them in favour of Admiral in December, save a shed load on both cars.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

result

Persistence does pay off though mate. I had something similar when i went to renew my CDTi insurance at the begining of the year, they basically tried to sh@ft me due to having mods on the car and added another £100 to my policy. Coincedently i had to phone back and spoke to someone knowledgable, who then took the £100 back off again

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

OH 800 Dubble 0 1066.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Something going on at Direct Line, as the exact same has just happened to me 2 weeks ago. Policy went up from £338 a year to £470 ! phoned and tried to see why went it had went up and got the same replies as above. Also went online and the policy came in cheaper but not that much. I noticed in the policy that they charged you 'extra' such as for Hire Car, Legal, Protected NCB and Recovery. Sod this I thought went to moneysupermarket.com put in details and MoreThan came out cheapest for me £359 incuding all the 'extras' which I thought was not bad for 35yo+ wife, on a V6 CDTI

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ive just done the a very similar thing, i was buying my veccy last week and my policy on my old car ran out this week so rather than pay the mid policy amendment fee and miss any potential discounts I cancelled my old policy. I then used the 7 days of free insurance I got with the car to have a look around for insurance and then signed up for a new policy last night.

As it happened the cheapest I could find was with privalige who were my previous insurer anyway.

Doing it this way I was also able to claim £70 cashback via Quidco.

I've done okay with insurance this year managed to get £120 back on the wifes insurance through Loyds TSB using quidco.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew's SRi View Post
    The reason it's difficult, is because of the incompetent, ignorant, morons that Direct Line employ.
    Seems to just be that department, as the claims section was spot on last year. As soon as I went through to the Online quotes section, I also got somebody who knew their ar*e from their elbow!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I went through a similar procedure the year before last - I went online obtained a cheaper quote and bought it! I tried it again this year but the renewal notice was cheaper than the online quotation!

They must keep it on file that I rumbled them year before last!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Same thing happened with our house insurance with DL. £200 cheaper online and free travel insurance. We let ours lapse and applied as a new customer.

I think they worth on the basis that a few references to increased risks will fob off most people who then can't be bothered to investigate any alternative.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by VauxVeteran View Post
    OH 800 Dubble 0 1066.
    Thats really annoying....

Good luck Duncan keep going you can shop around they can't for customers.... Have you mentioned the Club...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information