Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra c

Trim : Sri

Engine : 1.8

Year : 55

Quote Originally Posted by Anth1718 View Post
    Right thanks for all the advice took it in also before I put another coat of colour on I noticed the brows and paint where cold to touch so warmed them infront of the fire. Don't know if that's helped or spraying further away but there looking good now.
    how long should I wait before I laqure? And how long to wait between coats? How many coats of laqure?
    Also should my laqure have an agitator ball to mix the stuff?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Saloon( sadly died at age 20 due to a hart attack)

Trim : SXI limited edition

Engine : 2.0 16v DTI

Year : 2003

Mileage : 140000

all spray cans have a ball in them... (hence the reason they are called rattle cans in the USA) that said read the spray can the time to wait between coats without any form of forced drying is between 10 to 15 minutes... i already told you to use a hairdryer to speed up the process and have a better end result... lacquer is thicker than paint so the drying time with a hairdryer on the highest setting will be 5 to 7 minutes... one of the reasons why professionals leave the stuff in a heated room is because when the paint is warm and left to dry it gives a smoother finish and it speeds up the drying process (it also adheres better to the parts it is applied to)... also be careful with the hairdryer as the material can get to hot and it can burn the paint so keep it at a save distance... like at least one foot away ( roughly 30 cm) but a foot and a half (45 cm) is a bit better.. let the warm air flow over the eyebrows in the same direction and the end result will be almost as good as when a professional has done it.

PS: the amount of layers of lacquer should be about 3 but since you are going to have it on the outside i would do 5 or 6 depending on the shine of your car at the moment try to match it as close as possible (3 normally match the shine of the car unless you got faded paint on your ride than it might be better to do just 2 layers)

PPS: when the parts are dry leave them untouched for about 24 hours before fitting them to the car.... I know new part fresh paint want it fitted asap... remember fresh paint is soft and can easily be damaged... (bugs/road debris/ etc etc) I leave my fresh painted parts to cure for 3 days before I actually put them on the car and i use the aid of a hairdryer or a heatgun (depending on the size of part i am spraying)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by northpole View Post
    all spray cans have a ball in them... (hence the reason they are called rattle cans in the USA) that said read the spray can the time to wait between coats without any form of forced drying is between 10 to 15 minutes... i already told you to use a hairdryer to speed up the process and have a better end result... lacquer is thicker than paint so the drying time with a hairdryer on the highest setting will be 5 to 7 minutes... one of the reasons why professionals leave the stuff in a heated room is because when the paint is warm and left to dry it gives a smoother finish and it speeds up the drying process (it also adheres better to the parts it is applied to)... also be careful with the hairdryer as the material can get to hot and it can burn the paint so keep it at a save distance... like at least one foot away ( roughly 30 cm) but a foot and a half (45 cm) is a bit better.. let the warm air flow over the eyebrows in the same direction and the end result will be almost as good as when a professional has done it.

PS: the amount of layers of lacquer should be about 3 but since you are going to have it on the outside i would do 5 or 6 depending on the shine of your car at the moment try to match it as close as possible (3 normally match the shine of the car unless you got faded paint on your ride than it might be better to do just 2 layers)

PPS: when the parts are dry leave them untouched for about 24 hours before fitting them to the car.... I know new part fresh paint want it fitted asap... remember fresh paint is soft and can easily be damaged... (bugs/road debris/ etc etc) I leave my fresh painted parts to cure for 3 days before I actually put them on the car and i use the aid of a hairdryer or a heatgun (depending on the size of part i am spraying)
    How many blokes going thin on top do you know with a hair drier lol? Il keep the room warm and wait 15 mins inbetween each.
    just done my second coat and happy hopefuly the next 2 will go good. I was hoping to fit them this weekend but that's not giving me 3 curing days so might just slow down and get a few more good coats of laqure on and fit next weekend.thanks

4. Thanks pattz123 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Anth1718 View Post
    How many blokes going thin on top do you know with a hair drier lol? Il keep the room warm and wait 15 mins inbetween each.
    just done my second coat and happy hopefuly the next 2 will go good. I was hoping to fit them this weekend but that's not giving me 3 curing days so might just slow down and get a few more good coats of laqure on and fit next weekend.thanks
    Most blokes I know have a female as a partner...... the ones that don't buy the tools or borrow them..... you must be special....

6. Likes Dog_Book liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by northpole View Post
    Most blokes I know have a female as a partner...... the ones that don't buy the tools or borrow them..... you must be special....
    Haha well I could have went to the other halfs house and borrowed hers but no way I was buying a hair dryer just to dry these quicker.
    il just take my time let it dry in its own time. I've put the last coat of laqure on a little to thick so got a few marks in but il have to live with that I'm not starting it all again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Got up this morning and I'm really pleased so far. A few little marks looks like mucks got into paint. Il put another 2 coats on tonight then leave them to harden Thanks for all advice

9. Likes northpole liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

PS if you plan on more little diy spray projects you might want to invest in a heat blow gun ... I've got one but on smaller projects I use the wife's hairdryer
    yeah i said wife... not a young bloke anymore lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thinking of tackling the wheels next so might buy a heat gun