0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : CDX

Engine : 1.9 CDti

Year : 1996

Mileage : 180000

Quote Originally Posted by RBH View Post
    I'm sure Gary changed the gearbox and added a few other things....only downside was he was returning about 7mpg hahaha hahaha
    lol.....I used to the tuning thing - with crossflows - but parts were cheap - and none of that ECU nonsense to deal with....telling the engine what to do......that and a vivid imagination about the result....

We did have a 1600 X-Flow with 186BHP - but cost >£5k in parts and got single figure mileage - and was basically undriveable.......

I also used to believe tuning an N/A car was worthwhile....not now - unless it has the turbo thingy - too much ££££ for too little difference.....

....easier to empty the boot and the glove box of all the crap in there and get more power that way (weigh?).....

HAVING SAID ALL THAT - do like hearing about people doing the tuning thing.........so interested to hear this one.........

Regional Organiser - South something area HarrysDad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia A FL

Trim : Elite Nav S/S

Engine : A20NHT

Year : 2014

Mileage : 79774

Quote Originally Posted by bigwul View Post
    lol.....I used to the tuning thing - with crossflows - but parts were cheap - and none of that ECU nonsense to deal with....telling the engine what to do......that and a vivid imagination about the result....

We did have a 1600 X-Flow with 186BHP - but cost >£5k in parts and got single figure mileage - and was basically undriveable.......

I also used to believe tuning an N/A car was worthwhile....not now - unless it has the turbo thingy - too much ££££ for too little difference.....

....easier to empty the boot and the glove box of all the crap in there and get more power that way (weigh?).....

HAVING SAID ALL THAT - do like hearing about people doing the tuning thing.........so interested to hear this one.........
    As said, I have changed the gearbox for a 3.94 close ratio instead of the 4.19 wide ratio for better 0-60 and it also stays in the vvt range when changing up. It has a Eds remap on and is currently at 157bhp and 190nm. I have a decat manifold to go on along with a Dbilas flowmaster intake and filter that I got second hand from Ebay. Once that is all on it should be around 170bhp but I need to change the oil cooler before fitting the manifold as it’s warped and is guaranteed to leak. Downside so far is that it returns a max of 31mpg on the motorway with 22mpg around town and down to 8mpg when I give it a thrashing. Total cost just on remap and engine parts so far is around 1.5k so not cheap. They do a turbo kit for 4K and race tune cams for 3k which I won’t be buying.
    Check HERE for upcoming meets/events

3. Likes RBH liked this post
    Midlands - Vxr Owning Dick Dog_Book's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : VXR

Engine : Z28NEH

Year : 07

Sounds like that remap alone gets good results, but hasn't it got a different exhaust ATM Gary?

Ok so it will get smoked by a mapped cdti and vxr and 2.0t, but from what I saw early this year it's didn't half take off well and once I'd realised took full throttle and some time to get going before I caught up and overtook at high speed
    Vectra VXR estate 2007 Sapphire Black
    Teapot Tuned 255/300
    Eibachs B8's, fully loaded factory options

Tech2 & MDI diagnostics + SPS

5. Likes RBH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

Its pointless trying to improve the 1.8 unless you have bottomless pockets, just accept its the most reliable engine in the range and capable of MPG close to the Diesel's. Definitely change the box for a WR one, you'll be down to a less noisy 2500 in 70 in 5th. @simon has(or did) the most powerful 1.8 on the forum iirc.

Edi: its not Simon, cant remember the guys name.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : Life

Engine : 1.8 Petrol

Year : 2005

So i take it theres not much point in trying?

How much of a job would it be to convert it to a turbo or how big of a job to drop a 2.0l engine into it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : .....

Trim : .....

Engine : .....

Year : .....

Mileage : .......

Quote Originally Posted by VectraLife View Post
    So i take it theres not much point in trying?

How much of a job would it be to convert it to a turbo or how big of a job to drop a 2.0l engine into it?
    Again..... you'd be better selling your 1.8 and buying a bigger engine car

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : Life

Engine : 1.8 Petrol

Year : 2005

Well, ive only just bought it and was cheap at £470... buying another car is not an option right now. And this one is in immaculate condition inside and out. Just looking for some hints tips and tricks to get some more out of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

Theres a guy on the facebook page that says hes done 3 2.0T's into the 1.8. No idea of costs, but then you need to uprate the brakes and suspension, so easier just buying 2.0T from the start.

11. Likes Dog_Book liked this post
    Midlands - Vxr Owning Dick Dog_Book's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : VXR

Engine : Z28NEH

Year : 07

If you had bought say a 1.9 cdti Z19DTH there are many cheap tricks to get stupid amounts from it easily such as a forum mapper, same now with any version of the 2.8t (teapot research inc).

I have to join the queue and say there is no cheap and easy way to tune that engine, yes Gary's goes like stink as ive had to wring the neck of mine to catch the damn thing up. But that car is more than just a mapped motor which im afraid your car would be lacking in all the other areas to be safe with more power.
    I would keep the close ratio box for best performance, remember your little half an engine doesn't have bags of HP or NM

If its your hobby to mess with it, save up and buy other bits as the come like bigger brakes and better suspension and alloys. Then save and dump loads of the engine, if not save your cash and get a more tunable engine which normally come with most of the things needed to perform around it.
    Vectra VXR estate 2007 Sapphire Black
    Teapot Tuned 255/300
    Eibachs B8's, fully loaded factory options

Tech2 & MDI diagnostics + SPS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Saloon( sadly died at age 20 due to a hart attack)

Trim : SXI limited edition

Engine : 2.0 16v DTI

Year : 2003

Mileage : 140000

it is true but any petol head that has a N/A 1.8 4 pot and wants big HP from it will loose economy and has to spend big money to get it faster... an aftermartket turbo setup (with everything needed) will set you back at least 3000 pounds (that is 2.8t police special money) so if you really want it to be faster at a reasonable price... an engine swap is what you need to look at... 2.0T that has been written off because it has been rear ended or side ended... than swap all the parts over to yours.. everything under the bonnet/ all the electrical bits form the interior and the rear/ and all the brakes when you've done all that you won't need to program stuff but it is a big job and one that is best to DIY because if you have it done it will be cheaper to just buy a 2.0T in good nick.

but if you don't mind a diesel any 120bhp or 150bhp will be easier and cheaper to get high BHP from at reasonable prices

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information