Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question

So for example, the MOT isnt actually due until december but If I get a new MOT today Friday then it won't be due again another MOT until August 11th 2018 ( a full year), correct ?
    That's if it passes, lol, fingers crossed.

(never done the much earlier MOT thing ever for obvious reasons, but I just hate how the date falls in december, probably the worst month of all for money shortage).
    Last edited by fromGlasgow; 11th August 2017 at 01:47.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : VECTRA C.

Trim : ELITE

Engine : 2.0 DTI.

Year : 2003

Mileage : 106600

Quote Originally Posted by fromGlasgow View Post
    So for example, the MOT isnt actually due until december but If I get a new MOT today Friday then it won't be due again another MOT until August 11th 2018 ( a full year), correct ?
    That's if it passes, lol, fingers crossed.

(never done the much earlier MOT thing ever for obvious reasons, but I just hate how the date falls in december, probably the worst month of all for money shortage).

That is correct.
    DRL's. HEKO WIND DEFLECTORS. CHROME MIRROR AND HANDLE COVERS, & DOOR PINS. CARBON WRAP PILLARS. SMOKE REAR LIGHTS.

3. Thanks fromGlasgow thanked for this post
    Likes fromGlasgow liked this post
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

Do you not have a Vauxhall Masterfit Service Club card?

½ price MOTs if you did, as well as 25% off servicing and repairs.

https://my.vauxhall.co.uk/serviceClubDiscount

And I'm guessing you could use the £15 gift voucher toward the cost of the MOT, which will make it even cheaper.

5. Thanks fromGlasgow thanked for this post
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Do you not have a Vauxhall Masterfit Service Club card?

½ price MOTs if you did, as well as 25% off servicing and repairs.

https://my.vauxhall.co.uk/serviceClubDiscount

And I'm guessing you could use the £15 gift voucher toward the cost of the MOT, which will make it even cheaper.
    @Big Dave , isn't that just for trade only though ?

I just registered "as a personal account user" and had a look at the prices and they look pretty steep man ?

P.S, how do I validate the account, do I just go to the nearest vauxhall dealership and then they give me a card or something or I looked through my mountain of service history and receipts and booklets etc but there is no Vauxhall Masterfit Service Club card ?

p.s, my relative has a company, not a car repair company, but he has a genuine company with a vat number or whatever it is that comes along with any buisness, would I be able to set up a trade account using his company details I wonder ?
    Last edited by fromGlasgow; 11th August 2017 at 19:24.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Eek Update, so this is what happened Yesterday Friday 11th 2017

Update, so this is what happened Yesterday Friday 11th 2017.

Now, before I go any further, I know anything can happen to any wear and tear parts of a car at any time at all, but I don't know about you, should it not be within reason ?

I got someone to take my car into the regular guy that I have used all these years for the car's MOT's, I couldn't make it but I had spoke on the phone with him to go over things, now, please keep firmly in mind that since the last MOT as you can see it had only done 100 miles.

Last MOT was when it is normally due at the start of Dec each year as you can see too but it had actually been parked up since september 2016 as I had access to another car.

Anyway, now I don't know if my mind is just thinking daft stuff or the guy has suddenly turned into someone who is not so fair and reasonable like he usually is, as I say, maybe I am just jumping the gun a bit here but see what all you people think eh ?

I have posted a picture up from the governments website of last years MOT and yesterdays (Friday) MOT as you can see.

Ok, I said to him on phone days before, fix the back passenger door as I have been told that's an MOT Fail according to some people on this website yet on other websites I have seen differening opinions on that rule on other websites saying that a rear passenger door is not a fail as long as it's firmly closed and locked which it is rather than maybe blowing open at any second which could and would be really dangerous, so there is some doubt with that rule, when I mentioned it to him on phone he didn't say anything, he was just interested in hearing the other things that I wanted fixed too to get it through a new MOT just now.

Anyway, I said to him have a quick look at the brake judder front drivers side and fix the back door to get it through it's MOT and while your at it if your price is ok then do an oil and filter change and a brake fluid change, in other words I said a quick intrim service + brake fluid change and fix back door, I said call me soon as you know whats what and tell me what it's needing and the costs.

So about 1 hour after the car was dropped off he called and this is what he said believe it or not, now remember, the mileage and remember what the evidence in the picture attached shows guys, right ?

He said it needs some things replaced >>

O/S/F BRAKE DISC - £45
    O/S/R BRAKE DISC - £45
    O/S/F COIL SPRING - £85
    N/S/R COIL SPRING - £80
    1 FRONT TO REAR BREAK PIPE - £45

So I said how much bugs bunny (money) are we talking about here ??? (bearing in mind that I knew the work that had been previously done back in Dec 2016).

He said £450.

I said WHAT......I said is that including everything, he said yes, I said whats the price without the Intrim Service + brake fluid change, how much now ?

He said £354 (£54 for the MOT remember).

I still said WHAT....., I said make it £300 and it's a deal, he refused.

I said ok just do it and forget the Intrim service, in other words forget the oil and filter change as that really is all an intrim service is, even I know that, they say they do all they checks etc but how many of you actually believe they do ? I don't, and told him to forget the Brake fluid change too, he sickened me to be honest when he said what was needing done when the car has hardly moved at all (100 miles).

So that was it, the price was £300 for the parts and labour and £54 for the MOT = £354.

He didn't fix the back door.

Anyway, I was just so pizzed off and wanting a summer MOT done rather than december all the time I just said to him go ahead and do the work that I have said for £350 rather than £450.

Job was done and that's that, got the car back, same person picked it up for me, says it's driving and breaking totally Mint.

BUT, look at everything I have said and now look at the attached screenshot and tell me all what you guys think honestly please, eh ?

p.s, Also, just put a brand new pair of two good quality rear tyres on her the other week costing £177.80 and a brand new top range guaranteed for life Battery just the other week too which cost £150, again, I have all receipts, I keep every detail, car has been maintained better than my own body and home and that's being honest and had it since new too, so I am stuck to it like a family member, I will defo cry on the day it has to go and I don't plan on getting rid either unless I am totally skint, although unless a good offer came in for it from a friend or something then I would defo consider it as I have access to another car hopefully for a good while, I am even paying for these repairs etc just now with a credit card, so it might get to a stage when I have to call it quits as you need to remember Tax and insurance too (which it also has).

By the time I got the car back it was too late to call him, he hasn't even said if it was genuine GM Vauxhall parts either, I know from past times with him he always quoted on NON GM Vauxhall parts and you need to ask him to get a price for Vauxhall parts and then he has to go and call them etc, so I doubt very much it's Vauxhall parts as he didn't write it on the invioce, that's why most of the time it works out cheaper going to Vauxhall and getting some jobs done as they can usually but not always beat any private garages soon as I demand vauxhall parts, this time though I didn't ask for Vauxhall parts as it went out of my head, so I have a 90% feeling those are just run of the mill cheap parts which he always insists are sometimes better than GM Vauxhall parts, I prooved him wrong with that a few years ago with brake pads, he charged me for vauxhall brake pads and even said they were vauxhall on the invoice too and by simply looking at them and comparing them to the ones at the other end of the car that were defo Vauxhall brake pads they were not vauxhall pads he fitted, they were a lot thinner, it's very easy to notice things like that even with wheels on.

Vectra Mot history 2016 to 2017 then 2017 to 2018.jpg
    Last edited by fromGlasgow; 12th August 2017 at 02:00.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : VECTRA

Trim : SRI XP NAVI

Engine : 1.8 vvt

Year : 2008

Mileage : 73,166

If he's lied to you in the past, why go back and give him more business???
    If he's done it once, then it's a certainty he'll do it again.

9. Thanks fromGlasgow thanked for this post
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia 1.8 SRi

Trim : VX Line Red

Engine : 1.8VVT

Year : 2011

So, at its MOT time last December (2016) it initially failed on a broken N/S/R coil spring. It did then get a pass, so the assumption would have to be that the broken spring was replaced last year.

Fast forward to this year, and it needs another new N/S/R coil spring, and the car has only done about 100 miles since it was alledgedly replaced.

Call me sceptical, but I smell excrement.....

Click HERE to see how to become a full member. Click HERE for all the useful How2 Guides. Click HERE to use the forum search function!

11. Thanks fromGlasgow thanked for this post
    Likes RBH, fromGlasgow liked this post
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 1.8

Trim : Sri

Engine : 1.8, 1.8vvt,

I'd take it to a council testing centre for another mot to be clear what needs doing.

I'd also get down low behind the rear bumper with a torch and inspect the rear coils on both sides. Compare age and rust etc. The nsr spring may have been cheap Chinese rubbish and may have snapped again. It should be pretty obvious if it's not been changed in 100 miles or 1 year.

13. Thanks fromGlasgow thanked for this post
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by RBH View Post
    If he's lied to you in the past, why go back and give him more business???
    If he's done it once, then it's a certainty he'll do it again.
    @RBH, Good point mate, think in future I will seriously consider using AutoVaux in east kilbride as over the years a few people on some Forums have recommended them, but I was just so stupid and stuck in my ways with getting my "repairs" done with Vauxhall main dealership 90% of the time until recent years and I always used that same guy/garage for the MOT's that was always the thing I done, I was stuck in that rutt, was just what I done, so I got used to it.

But as @puppet says in his post, I also smell sh*te too, makes me mad, also strange how he passed the car MOT with the back door jammed closed from inside and out too when some people say thats a fail and some people on some other forums say it isn't a Fail, hmmm, strange, I mean, I even highlighted it to him, but he was just interested in what else could be wrong with the car brakes or anything else, there was a defo brake problem, that's for sure, he was shown the paperwork from last december of what had been done to get it through it's MOT, but he didn't bat an eyelid, so he knew clearly what had been done and the miles etc too.

I know it's possible to break a coil spring basically as you drive out of a garage and hit a pothole, it has happened to me before, nearly new GM vauxhall brand coil spring, couple of months old, hit a hole in the road, bang, spring snapped, so it is possible, I've been told since I owned the car from new that the springs on them are an extremely common thing to break, I suppose one could buy extremely expensive after market brand ones that last a lifetime, but that's if you can afford all that, I can't, defo not nowdays.

Another thing that has surprised me is there isnt even any advisory notices, stating like the usual front fog lamp is not working and I would have imagined the back door would have been mentioned too even if it's not an mot fail which I am now not sure if it is or isn't according to various sources on the internet forums.

Thing is though, this is a small independent garage who is really busy everyday, been there for decades, same owner and generally always the same assistant, dunno if the assistant is his family member or what, but yeah, been there from long before I even knew about them and then one day it was a neighbour that had been using him for years who said, try him he's very reasonable with his MOT's, what my neighbour meant was he doesn't fail you for just nothing like a lot of them do, although he didn't mention about his workmanship for repairs.

I know a lot of people that go to him and have done for years too, so he is a well recommended place and person.

Last year for example, he said he really could have put the slightly misshaped tyre down as part of the fail but instead put it in as advisory and told me if I come back again this year with that same tyre then theres a chance he could consider that as part of a fail depending on what like it is, so I suppose he was being fair when other places may just have failed it for that anyway even though it was just within tolerance, but anyway, I put a brand new set of rear treads on it so that there was no chance that would happen.

As for the brake pipes, connectors and lines etc I have been getting advisory's on them for years and for about the past 5 years or so I always seem to have got break problems, and that's not him doing the work, that's been vauxhall.

It's all doing my head in, no wonder people end up just getting shot of their cars, but I can't now with this, far far too much money ploughed into it since brand new and especially over the past few years, thing will be 12 years old in december.

But yeah, I am quite suspicious too and I think I will need to lie under the car and have a quick look like @john is200sport said too.

Not as young and fit as I used to be , things like even doing that are a major challenge to me which I doubt I can do, but I know a mechanic who lives along the street, could give him a shout and ask him to have a look but I don't think he's into doing much things for other people as he works his butt off in his own job etc, and at the end of the day, until proven guilty the MOT guy is innocent really as maybe the work did need done, I don't know, not yet anyway.

p.s @john is200sport , I wish I could mate, I can't afford to take it for yet another MOT, especially when it's just passed this one although that is another really good idea to keep in mind for next year for the council non profit place to do it and book well in advance to make sure I get an appointment, if god spares me, thank's for the tip
    Last edited by fromGlasgow; 13th August 2017 at 01:39.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

@Big Dave , isn't that just for trade only though ?
    P.S, how do I validate the account, do I just go to the nearest vauxhall dealership and then they give me a card or something or I looked through my mountain of service history and receipts and booklets etc but there is no Vauxhall Masterfit Service Club card ?
    ?
    No, it's for Joe Bloggs as well. I've had mine several years now. You register on-line, then they send you a full sized card and a key ring card through the post. IIRC, the money off voucher comes via email.

There's some more info in the FAQ section

https://my.vauxhall.co.uk/helpFaq

To validate your account:
    How do I verify my ownership and validate my account?

Easy! To verify your vehicle all you need to do is visit your local Vauxhall Retailer with your vehicle registration documents as proof of legal ownership (V5C).

You don't however have to do this to get the Masterfit card.
    Last edited by Big Dave; 15th August 2017 at 02:46.

16. Thanks fromGlasgow thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information