Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question Will car pass MOT like this ???

I posted this same thread in the Vectra C/Signum troubleshooting section too but I am not sure if it's better in here or in there, so I'm sorry for posting it in two different sections, I am just not sure, plus sorry I have not been around much either, long story, lots of ups but mostly downs in life to be honest, but anyways.........

My own Vectra is in my avatar picture and I have also attached a random image of one similar, mines is simply a standard Vectra C Sri 1.8 Petrol Registered December 2005 (55 Plate) and is the newer facelift model, so as I say, mines is the one in my avatar photo and very similar to the random image I have attached.

It's a Vectra Sri as you can see.

What I need to know is, I have had the car from brand new, and for years one of small lower bumper driving lamps has been wonky, used to get it fixed now and again and then eventually one of the garages said to me it's knackered, can' t remember the reason, the other one works though but as one doesn't I simply don't use the lower bumper driving lamps at all, I notice some people seem to call them fog lamps

I'm sure according to the book/manual they are called driving lamps and not fog lamps, is that correct ?

Now, I don't know if the MOT rules have changed over the past year or anything but I take my car to a small private Garage to get the Mot and some work done every year as the guy is normally very reasonable.

All the past years he passes it (the MOT) once any works been done and just gives an advisory on faulty lower bumper driving lamp or fog lamp or whatever it's called.

Question, could, anyone tell me please, has the MOT rules changed at all since last december that would mean that lower bumper driving lamp would be a fail now when it never has been before ?

Plus because the car has been parked up now and not moved since last MOT in Dec 2016 but is insured and taxed, the front driver side electric window wont go up and down and the rear driver side door wont open at all although all the buttons go up and down when the button is pressed on the remote for central locking.

One more thing, getting some brake judder from the front driver side.

According to a guy I know that is a genuine mechanic but lives too far away from me for help, he said that with the car lying parked for a year (it's been parked up since last september just on the street, not a busy street or road) he said that the brake judder is a common thing when you leave a car parked up for neary a year without hardly being moved at all, probably done about 100 miles at most in nearly a year.

He said the brakes at that side are more than likely just needing cleaned up as they will have got a slight build up or whatever he said, I can't remember, but he said it's normally that that causes that problem with the car lying around for a year.

Likewise he said with the electric window never being used its probably just seazed up a little bit and needs freeing up and the mechanism greased or something like that.

And again, he said likewise for the back door, he said with that the drivers side back door not opening it sounds like "the pin has dropped" (or something like that) and needs reattached to sort it.

So, firstly, are all these things mentioned an MOT fail or just the brake judder and is the guy I spoke to who said what the problems more than likely are, is he quite correct ??

Overall, what kind of price would I be looking at to get these things fixed in the little private garage were the owner is always reasonable, anyone have any ideas ??

P.s, I just couple of weeks ago replaced the battery with a top of the range one from halfords, cost £150 + two brand new good brand tyres too for the rear, I don't plan in getting rid of the car after all the care,attention and fully service history and every single receipt I have since it was brand new, it would break my heart to get rid of it to be honest, would be like a death in the family having to let it go, you know what I mean ?

P.P.S, apart from those things the car drives like a dream, it's quite a low mileage for it's age, only done approx 85K.

appreciate any help or any input at all on all this and sorry for it being so long, but it's all best said and asked I guess.

Thanks guys

1_1024.jpg
    Last edited by fromGlasgow; 8th August 2017 at 23:35.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.8 VVT

Year : 2007

Mileage : lots !

The front fog should not be testable as it not listed in the regs 1.1. Neither should a window fail under 6.2 as that states only that the doors must open from inside & outside - so the rear door WOULD fail. The brakes may be a fail under 3.7 if the judder is classed as excessive fluctuation, or fails to meet the performance figures.

Take a read ( I'm not a tester, just like reading )

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-4-5-and-7.pdf

3. Thanks fromGlasgow thanked for this post
    Likes fromGlasgow liked this post
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by JagRigger View Post
    The front fog should not be testable as it not listed in the regs 1.1. Neither should a window fail under 6.2 as that states only that the doors must open from inside & outside - so the rear door WOULD fail. The brakes may be a fail under 3.7 if the judder is classed as excessive fluctuation, or fails to meet the performance figures.

Take a read ( I'm not a tester, just like reading )

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-4-5-and-7.pdf
    Thanks pal, very much

Does any other people have stuff to add for all the stuff I asked too please, would be greatfully received ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra c

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 06

Mileage : 191000

Give it some spirited braking and the judder may disappear, however if this doesn't cure it, front disks and pads are around £60 and quite an easy job to do

Alan

6. Likes fromGlasgow liked this post
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : CDX

Engine : 1.9 CDti

Year : 1996

Mileage : 180000

Quote Originally Posted by fromGlasgow View Post
    Thanks pal, very much

Does any other people have stuff to add for all the stuff I asked too please, would be greatfully received ?

I though t you had all the questions answered?

The fogs / driving lamps are irrelevant.

The window is irrelevant.

The door needs to be able to open - hing pin replaced or whatever.

And as mentioned - the judder is only relevant if it's severe to cause fluctuation or decrease efficiency. If so it will feel crap to drive - so get it sorted anyway.......again - as mentioned - take it for a drive and let the disks get cleaned up.

Not sure what else you need to know?
    Last edited by bigwul; 9th August 2017 at 09:28.

8. Likes fromGlasgow liked this post
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Ford Kuga

Trim : Titanium

Engine : 2.0dtci

Year : 2014

Mileage : 1200

If it's been parked up for some time are you sure it's brakes not a flat spot on a tyre(s) causing the judder?

10. Likes fromGlasgow liked this post
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy1954 View Post
    If it's been parked up for some time are you sure it's brakes not a flat spot on a tyre(s) causing the judder?
    Can't see it being that mate, tyre pressure has always been perfect and never changed all the time the car has been sitting, plus the tyre looks fine too and the car drives like a dream on the open road.

It's just when you hit the brake pedal even slightly it shudders from the drivers front side, I would say it's medium to severe shuddering.

As bigwul mentioned above in his post, it feels crap to brake, so it has to be fixed with whatever is wrong, when you hit the brakes to stop and you expect it to stop as normal and quickly it doesn't, it takes a second or two longer and it kinda makes you reluctant to use the brake much as you can obviously drive nice a slow and use the gears to bring the car to a halt depending on the road without even touching the brakes, although it can stop, it's not as if there is no brakes at all, it will stop, the judder just makes you think "if I keep doing that too much I could be making another part of the whole thing worse whether it's the disk, the pads, caliper or whatever, so it makes you feel like its not a good idea to keep pushing your luck if youz guys know what I mean ?

So yeah, while I take it in to get the door sorted I will get the guy in the garage to sort the brake too, might just forget about the front electric window for now as I'm wanting to put it through an early MOT, so I want to get it MOT ready.

It doesn't need an MOT until december but I want it done in the summer as there's nothing worse than having to normally fork out money for repair and an MOT in december.

While on the subject of the MOT, is it possible for me to get it MOT'd early like this month rather than december, I know I will be losing out on 3 months of the current MOT but I don't mind that and I have hope with the car hardly even moving at all apart from about 100 miles since last september then it will fly through it's MOT once those things are sorted obviously.

Is it ok to get it MOT'd early, yes ? or rather is that allowed ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy1954 View Post
    Can't see it being that mate, tyre pressure has always been perfect and never changed all the time the car has been sitting parked, plus the tyre looks fine too and the car drives like a dream on the open road, only done about 100 miles, or at the most 200 miles at the very most since last september, rest of the time it's just been parked in a quiet-ish street outside the house, when I say a quite street, I mean it's not a main road, it's in a small housing estate, so there is traffic only of the people that live in the place that pass by and in the winter the gritter will come once in a while, usually they forget to grit this place, it's like no mans land in the winter, typical councils eh, lol.

It's just when you hit the brake pedal even slightly it shudders from the drivers front side, I would say it's medium to severe shuddering.

As bigwul mentioned above in his post, it feels crap to brake, so it has to be fixed with whatever is wrong, when you hit the brakes to stop and you expect it to stop as normal and quickly it doesn't, it takes a second or two longer and it kinda makes you reluctant to use the brake much as you can obviously drive nice a slow and use the gears to bring the car to a halt depending on the road without even touching the brakes, although it can stop, it's not as if there is no brakes at all, it will stop, the judder just makes you think "if I keep doing that too much I could be making another part of the whole thing worse whether it's the disk, the pads, caliper or whatever, so it makes you feel like its not a good idea to keep pushing your luck if youz guys know what I mean ?

So yeah, while I take it in to get the door sorted I will get the guy in the garage to sort the brake too, might just forget about the front electric window for now as I'm wanting to put it through an early MOT, so I want to get it MOT ready.

It doesn't need an MOT until december but I want it done in the summer as there's nothing worse than having to normally fork out money for repair and an MOT in december.

While on the subject of the MOT, is it possible for me to get it MOT'd early like this month rather than december, I know I will be losing out on 3 months of the current MOT but I don't mind that and I have hope with the car hardly even moving at all apart from about 100 miles since last september then it will fly through it's MOT once those things are sorted obviously.

Is it ok to get it MOT'd early, yes ? or rather is that allowed ?
    Last edited by fromGlasgow; 9th August 2017 at 21:15.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.8 VVT

Year : 2007

Mileage : lots !

If you present a car with a valid MOT for a new test within a month of it being due, on passing you will keep the same expiry date

If you present a car with a valid MOT for a new test with more than a month to run before it is due, on passing you will only get 12 months from the date of the test.

Odd, but I've had it happen.

14. Thanks fromGlasgow thanked for this post
    Moderator & Events Assistant paulhb's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : M5

Trim : Nothing needs adding

Engine : 5.0 V10

Year : 07

Mileage : 37000

You can have your car tested as often as you like dealers often put a be MOT on when selling a car regardless of when it was tested previously, unless it was a month or so.

16. Thanks fromGlasgow thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information