User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MOT, some questions for you Vectra C Wizards :)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Eek Update, so this is what happened Yesterday Friday 11th 2017.

Update, so this is what happened Yesterday Friday 11th 2017.

Now, before I go any further, I know anything can happen to any wear and tear parts of a car at any time at all, but I don't know about you, should it not be within reason ?

I got someone to take my car into the regular guy that I have used all these years for the car's MOT's, I couldn't make it but I had spoke on the phone with him to go over things, now, please keep firmly in mind that since the last MOT as you can see it had only done 100 miles.

Last MOT was when it is normally due at the start of Dec each year as you can see too but it had actually been parked up since september 2016 as I had access to another car.

Anyway, now I don't know if my mind is just thinking daft stuff or the guy has suddenly turned into someone who is not so fair and reasonable like he usually is, as I say, maybe I am just jumping the gun a bit here but see what all you people think eh ?

I have posted a picture up from the governments website of last years MOT and yesterdays (Friday) MOT as you can see.

Ok, I said to him on phone days before, fix the back passenger door as I have been told that's an MOT Fail according to some people on this website yet on other websites I have seen differening opinions on that rule on other websites saying that a rear passenger door is not a fail as long as it's firmly closed and locked which it is rather than maybe blowing open at any second which could and would be really dangerous, so there is some doubt with that rule, when I mentioned it to him on phone he didn't say anything, he was just interested in hearing the other things that I wanted fixed too to get it through a new MOT just now.

Anyway, I said to him have a quick look at the brake judder front drivers side and fix the back door to get it through it's MOT and while your at it if your price is ok then do an oil and filter change and a brake fluid change, in other words I said a quick intrim service + brake fluid change and fix back door, I said call me soon as you know whats what and tell me what it's needing and the costs.

So about 1 hour after the car was dropped off he called and this is what he said believe it or not, now remember, the mileage and remember what the evidence in the picture attached shows guys, right ?

He said it needs some things replaced >>

O/S/F BRAKE DISC - £45
    O/S/R BRAKE DISC - £45
    O/S/F COIL SPRING - £85
    N/S/R COIL SPRING - £80
    1 FRONT TO REAR BREAK PIPE - £45

So I said how much bugs bunny (money) are we talking about here ??? (bearing in mind that I knew the work that had been previously done back in Dec 2016).

He said £450.

I said WHAT......I said is that including everything, he said yes, I said whats the price without the Intrim Service + brake fluid change, how much now ?

He said £354 (£54 for the MOT remember).

I still said WHAT....., I said make it £300 and it's a deal, he refused.

I said ok just do it and forget the Intrim service, in other words forget the oil and filter change as that really is all an intrim service is, even I know that, they say they do all they checks etc but how many of you actually believe they do ? I don't, and told him to forget the Brake fluid change too, he sickened me to be honest when he said what was needing done when the car has hardly moved at all (100 miles).

So that was it, the price was £300 for the parts and labour and £54 for the MOT = £354.

He didn't fix the back door.

Anyway, I was just so pizzed off and wanting a summer MOT done rather than december all the time I just said to him go ahead and do the work that I have said for £350 rather than £450.

Job was done and that's that, got the car back, same person picked it up for me, says it's driving and breaking totally Mint, the car is mint by the way, couple of little very light scratches here and there that can be easily buffed out and couple of marks on a wheel, thats about it, apart from that totally mint.

BUT, look at everything I have said and now look at the attached screenshot and tell me all what you guys think honestly please, eh ?

p.s, Also, just put a brand new pair of two good quality rear tyres on her the other week costing £177.80 and a brand new top range guaranteed for life Battery just the other week too which cost £150, again, I have all receipts, I keep every detail, car has been maintained better than my own body and home and that's being honest and had it since new too, so I am stuck to it like a family member, I will defo cry on the day it has to go and I don't plan on getting rid either unless I am totally skint, although unless a good offer came in for it from a friend or something then I would defo consider it as I have access to another car hopefully for a good while, I am even paying for these repairs etc just now with a credit card, so it might get to a stage when I have to call it quits as you need to remember Tax and insurance too (which it also has).

By the time I got the car back it was too late to call him, he hasn't even said if it was genuine GM Vauxhall parts either, I know from past times with him he always quoted on NON GM Vauxhall parts and you need to ask him to get a price for Vauxhall parts and then he has to go and call them etc, so I doubt very much it's Vauxhall parts as he didn't write it on the invioce, that's why most of the time it works out cheaper going to Vauxhall and getting some jobs done as they can usually but not always beat any private garages soon as I demand vauxhall parts, this time though I didn't ask for Vauxhall parts as it went out of my head, so I have a 90% feeling those are just run of the mill cheap parts which he always insists are sometimes better than GM Vauxhall parts, I prooved him wrong with that a few years ago with brake pads, he charged me for vauxhall brake pads and even said they were vauxhall on the invoice too and by simply looking at them and comparing them to the ones at the other end of the car that were defo Vauxhall brake pads they were not vauxhall pads he fitted, they were a lot thinner, it's very easy to notice things like that even with wheels on.

Vectra Mot history 2016 to 2017 then 2017 to 2018.jpg
    Last edited by fromGlasgow; 12th August 2017 at 02:18.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : design

Engine : 1.9 150 diesel

Year : 56

hi you have a nice looking car,and u should be proud of it,but i do not understand why u wanted a mot on it now as it was not due until dec.i could understand if u did the work yourself as its not nice to work on a car in the winter.the jobs are easy to do,except for the brake pipe.personaly i would of renewed 2 new front springs 2 new front discs and pads and the same on the back as these part should be renewed in pairs.so why dont u learn to do the jobs your self as there is plenty of how 2s guids on here

3. Thanks fromGlasgow thanked for this post
    Likes fromGlasgow liked this post
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.8 VVT

Year : 2007

Mileage : lots !

You got the pass, although that work and the ticket would have been a lot less if you'd done the work yourself.

Still say he's wrong on the door 6.2 B of the regs is clear that front drivers and passenger doors must open from inside and outside AND "ANY OTHER PASSENGER DOOR CAN BE OPENED FROM OUTSIDE THE VEHICLE"

Not that i'd appeal a pass ��

5. Thanks fromGlasgow thanked for this post
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : VECTRA C.

Trim : ELITE

Engine : 2.0 DTI.

Year : 2003

Mileage : 106600

I agree with what @paula9568 has said, all those jobs are diy, even if you haven't done them before, if you follow the how 2s on the forum. Brakes and springs should be changed in pairs not individually.
    So you still have a car with where the back door does not open, so how has it passed an MOT.???...
    DRL's. HEKO WIND DEFLECTORS. CHROME MIRROR AND HANDLE COVERS, & DOOR PINS. CARBON WRAP PILLARS. SMOKE REAR LIGHTS.

7. Thanks fromGlasgow thanked for this post
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 2004 sxi

Engine : 1.8

it is expensive mate but then thats how the garage makes money it is his job afterall, brakes very easy to do there is plenty of info on here and youtube videos even for the vec! oil changes/filters very simple again plenty info available, springs i havent got to that yet ...lol it is diy jobs to be fair , but once you do them once , you will be able to do them on pretty much any car after that ! well least car is sorted to thats good!

9. Thanks fromGlasgow thanked for this post
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah, I hear you all loud and clear about the DIY stuff and believe me, when I was a younger man I used to do all these things myself as they are pizz easy (some of them were, tools and weather dependent) and more too with my multiple cars I have owned in my life so far, done allsorts of car maintanance myself, but that was as a MUCH younger man though, now I just can't do it, can't do anything really, I am disabled now and right now I am very ill too which I hope to overcome, so I've just got to trust other people plus I only could pay by credit card too, so that means that even getting someone to come do the job for cash couldn't be done as credit cards cost a fortune to withdraw cash, I am screwed either way , @paula9568, it's kind of like you say about getting the MOT done in the Summer rather than december, this now means there is much more chance of me being able to get other people to do the work for me right on the street in the summer rather than risk what like Scottish weather is in winter or sometimes all year round, lol, but the main thing for me and most of us I guess is December clashes with christmas and you know what that means, money money money, so at least I now have that part off my mind now with summer MOT's , I just hope that I live to see another year through with the help of God to put these challenges into place , never know what Mr Trumpet is going to do next either, thats another slightly off topic thing

One guy has already been in touch in private with me from the forum and another I know says hes in the area too, so I will hopefully be able to see if these people can help me if and when the time comes.

I am thinking/hoping about getting a MAJOR service done (not timing belt and water pump, Vauxhall done that I think it was two years ago), so that's not due for at least another 60K (I think), but I mean all the other things in a MAJOR service, it depends on how much money I can save up and how quickly, slight off topic which I am sorry about but has to be said, trying to survive these days is hard enough as things stand and I think we all know that, young, old, sick, disabled, working poor, unemployed, everyone, my finger strongly points at every Government that sits in London especially the current one, but I am Scottish, so I would say that obviously , we think it's bad just now, just wait till brexit bites right in, we will ALL be going to foodbanks and hardly anyone will have jobs, the main reliable trusted experts say that the uk will take at least 20 to 25 years or more to recover from leaving the EU, that's if it actually ever does happen, I think the Tories will call a Halt to it as there is FAR FAR too much at stake, just my opinion.

But anyway, back on topic, thank you all for your comments etc, I fully get what your all saying, thanks damn, I wish I was younger and fit again
    Last edited by fromGlasgow; 13th August 2017 at 03:33.

11. Likes baines23 liked this post
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : design

Engine : 1.9 150 diesel

Year : 56

sorry to hear that, u should of said somthing i am sure there are menbers from your neck of the woods who would give u a hand.i would of if i was near to u,thats whats this forum is for to help and save a few quid

13. Thanks fromGlasgow thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information