User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Strange electrical quibble

  1. #1
    VIP-Member Sodburybungy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Bristol
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra C

    Trim : Life

    Engine : 1.8

    Year : 2004

    Default Strange electrical quibble

    Having had an impromptu alternator change everything seemed ok again. Until a few days ago when driving down to lands end the speakers popped a few times (imagine bad connection popping noise, if you touch a speaker connection) and the switched off cd70 came on. Thought nothing of it, perhaps the switch hadn't quite latched properly. Anyway, it did it again today. Since it never happened before the alternator change I decided to pop the bonnet up for a shuftty. I did find the R6 relay wasn't seated properly. Since that's the starter relay I thought I'd found the problem - relay spuriously latching causing the radio to think the car was being started.

    After that it seemed ok and the car felt better overall - felt smoother running. So smugly thought I had fixed it. Until the radio popped again 10 minutes ago.

    Any thoughts? And is it possible that the unseated starter relay could have had anything to do with the alternator failure? I think it was dislodged after by the AA when he was checking the charge from the previous failed alternator, but can't be sure.

    Any help? Got to do the trip back to Bristol on Friday and I don't want another AA callout.

    Cheers.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    stratford upon avon
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : vectra c

    Trim : ls

    Engine : 1800

    Year : 04

    Mileage : 133000

    Default

    double post

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    stratford upon avon
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : vectra c

    Trim : ls

    Engine : 1800

    Year : 04

    Mileage : 133000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sodburybungy View Post
    Having had an impromptu alternator change everything seemed ok again. Until a few days ago when driving down to lands end the speakers popped a few times (imagine bad connection popping noise, if you touch a speaker connection) and the switched off cd70 came on. Thought nothing of it, perhaps the switch hadn't quite latched properly. Anyway, it did it again today. Since it never happened before the alternator change I decided to pop the bonnet up for a shuftty. I did find the R6 relay wasn't seated properly. Since that's the starter relay I thought I'd found the problem - relay spuriously latching causing the radio to think the car was being started.

    After that it seemed ok and the car felt better overall - felt smoother running. So smugly thought I had fixed it. Until the radio popped again 10 minutes ago.

    Any thoughts? And is it possible that the unseated starter relay could have had anything to do with the alternator failure? I think it was dislodged after by the AA when he was checking the charge from the previous failed alternator, but can't be sure.

    Any help? Got to do the trip back to Bristol on Friday and I don't want another AA callout.

    Cheers.

    is it an original gm / vauxhall alternator ?

  4. #4
    Regular Member TonyP2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Mokka

    Trim : SE - Orange Rock 's !!

    Engine : 1.7CDTi

    Year : 2014

    Default

    It could also be a loose connection on the back of the CD70.
    Can you get some voltage readings (engine off/running/running with lights and heating fan, etc) by using a multimeter?

  5. #5
    VIP-Member Sodburybungy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Bristol
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra C

    Trim : Life

    Engine : 1.8

    Year : 2004

    Default

    Not sure. Probably not as fitted by an independent garage, but it ought to be equivalent. Although they did have to get it from Exeter, so maybe it is genuine GM. Can't see it easily to be sure. Failed alternator was original and 13 years old. I personally don't think the new alternator itself is the cause, rather something that happened / changed at the same time as the previous one failed / new one fitted.

    The badly seated relay jumped out to me as the cause. I was convinced. It made sense, but clearly not the cause unless the relay itself is faulty.

  6. #6
    VIP-Member Sodburybungy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Bristol
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra C

    Trim : Life

    Engine : 1.8

    Year : 2004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyP2020 View Post
    It could also be a loose connection on the back of the CD70.
    Can you get some voltage readings (engine off/running/running with lights and heating fan, etc) by using a multimeter?


    Thanks. Yep thought that initially, but as I say, it was ok until the alternator change. I can't check anything yet as I'm on holiday and my tools are 200 miles away! Might just pull the stereo out and do a visual anyway.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    stratford upon avon
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : vectra c

    Trim : ls

    Engine : 1800

    Year : 04

    Mileage : 133000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sodburybungy View Post
    Not sure. Probably not as fitted by an independent garage, but it ought to be equivalent. Although they did have to get it from Exeter, so maybe it is genuine GM. Can't see it easily to be sure. Failed alternator was original and 13 years old. I personally don't think the new alternator itself is the cause, rather something that happened / changed at the same time as the previous one failed / new one fitted.

    The badly seated relay jumped out to me as the cause. I was convinced. It made sense, but clearly not the cause unless the relay itself is faulty.

    i would Probably ask the garage if it was original it wouldnt hurt to ask lol

  8. #8
    VIP-Member Sodburybungy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Bristol
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra C

    Trim : Life

    Engine : 1.8

    Year : 2004

    Default

    Cheers mate. Seen pm. I'll follow up on that.

  9. Likes vectra ste liked this post
  10. #9
    Regular Member TonyP2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Mokka

    Trim : SE - Orange Rock 's !!

    Engine : 1.7CDTi

    Year : 2014

    Default

    If you are anywhere near The Wirral then @Critch would be well worth a visit. His diagnosis skills are very good.

  11. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    suffolk
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : vectra 2007

    Trim : sri

    Engine : z18xer

    Year : 2007

    Default

    Might be an idea to change that Relay, being partly out it may have been chattering & become damaged?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Strange Electrical Issues.
    By Lostate in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 1st August 2014, 06:52
  2. Strange electrical probs
    By Jabbekot in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 18th February 2014, 10:58
  3. Strange electrical problem - please read & help.
    By Vaux-Man-G in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 7th September 2011, 08:46
  4. Strange electrical problem regarding radio controls on steering wheel
    By eaglepva in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12th January 2011, 17:36
  5. strange dash electrical fault
    By lee866 in forum Electrical & ICE (including SatNav)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 29th June 2010, 17:56

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •