User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  62
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 196

Thread: engine cranks but won't start after rebuild.

  1. #1
    Regular Member BaconSarnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Newcastle
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra

    Trim : Elite

    Engine : 150 cdti

    Year : 2004

    Mileage : 150k plus

    Default engine cranks but won't start after rebuild.

    My timing belt snapped and I rebuilt the top half of the engine. Only damage was the rocker arms but I rebuilt anyways. So it's all back together and cranks over but won't start, not even easy start gets it going. I've got compression and I'm timed up from the z19dth timing kit, 720degree check before turning over so no interference. Totally stumped as to what the problem is.
    I fitted new glow plugs, gaskets, rocker arms and injector seals.
    I'm 100% sure of my work and I'm confident enough to say mechanically it's sound. So could the snapped timing belt made the ecu change its behaviour to compensate? I have no idea guys.

  2. #2
    Regular Member BaconSarnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Newcastle
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra

    Trim : Elite

    Engine : 150 cdti

    Year : 2004

    Mileage : 150k plus

    Default

    I forgot to mention I've had the battery out for 3 days and the thermostat sensor broke so the engine is reading -40.

  3. #3
    Midlands - Head case Organiser Dog_Book's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Derby
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra Estate

    Trim : VXR

    Engine : Z28NEH

    Year : 07

    Default

    No it wouldn't, id check everything again and ensure its cranking fast enough as that can have an effect. I would think this would need a cheap obd reader plugging and a program to watch the ECU values as it tries to start, someone like @plasma can then help point at the fault.
    Vectra VXR estate 2007 Sapphire Black
    Teapot Tuned 260/300
    Eibachs B8's, fully loaded factory options

    https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/calendar.php

  4. #4
    Regular Member BaconSarnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Newcastle
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra

    Trim : Elite

    Engine : 150 cdti

    Year : 2004

    Mileage : 150k plus

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
    No it wouldn't, id check everything again and ensure its cranking fast enough as that can have an effect. I would think this would need a cheap obd reader plugging and a program to watch the ECU values as it tries to start, someone like @plasma can then help point at the fault.
    To be honest I don't think it cranks fast enough, maybe the improved compression is demanding more power from the battery? I get about 3 good cranks for around 7 seconds then I hear the battery losing its puff.
    But it always had the cranking amps before the timing belt went. I don't have an obd reader as yet, may need some help with that. I'm 100% on the rebuild, double checked everything mate.

  5. #5
    Full Member pattz123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Motherwell
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vauxhall Vectra Estate

    Trim : SRI

    Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

    Year : 2007

    Mileage : 83k

    Default

    I had the cam housing out of my z19dth the other week to check rockers and replace a leaking gasket and once rebuilt it was a cow to get started, had the electric fuel lift pump going around ten times and the jump leads connected to the Vxr with the negative on the rear engine lift bracket before it eventually started.

  6. #6
    Regular Member BaconSarnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Newcastle
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra

    Trim : Elite

    Engine : 150 cdti

    Year : 2004

    Mileage : 150k plus

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pattz123 View Post
    I had the cam housing out of my z19dth the other week to check rockers and replace a leaking gasket and once rebuilt it was a cow to get started, had the electric fuel lift pump going around ten times and the jump leads connected to the Vxr with the negative on the rear engine lift bracket before it eventually started.
    Thanks for the reply, I'm a bit lost with your descriptions though. Do you mean the fuel pump in the diesel tank? Also you connected one cable to the battery and one physically to the engine?
    Your post boosts my confidence I my rebuild and I'm thinking maybe I need more cranking power? Battery might be past its best?

  7. #7
    Full Member pattz123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Motherwell
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vauxhall Vectra Estate

    Trim : SRI

    Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

    Year : 2007

    Mileage : 83k

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BaconSarnie View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I'm a bit lost with your descriptions though. Do you mean the fuel pump in the diesel tank? Also you connected one cable to the battery and one physically to the engine?
    Your post boosts my confidence I my rebuild and I'm thinking maybe I need more cranking power? Battery might be past its best?
    when you turn on the ignition you can hear the electric lift pump working/humming in the fuel tank for around 10 seconds so switch off ignition when it stops and repeat this a good few times, mines wouldnt start with just battery to battery connection so you connect the jumpleads to the battery terminals on the car that runs and connect the postive to the battery terminal of the non running car and the negative to the rear engine lift bracket behind the oil filler cap. Make sure the lift bracket isnt corroded or dirty for a good connection. Hope this helps

  8. #8
    Regular Member BaconSarnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Newcastle
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra

    Trim : Elite

    Engine : 150 cdti

    Year : 2004

    Mileage : 150k plus

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pattz123 View Post
    when you turn on the ignition you can hear the electric lift pump working/humming in the fuel tank for around 10 seconds so switch off ignition when it stops and repeat this a good few times, mines wouldnt start with just battery to battery connection so you connect the jumpleads to the battery terminals on the car that runs and connect the postive to the battery terminal of the non running car and the negative to the rear engine lift bracket behind the oil filler cap. Make sure the lift bracket isnt corroded or dirty for a good connection. Hope this helps
    Ah of course, sorry bud Im with you now. Yh the lift pump is in working order to my knowledge, I primed it 3 times as I'm sure I'd have a ton of air in the fuel lines. So In the end just cranking over from your battery wasn't enough?

  9. #9
    Full Member pattz123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Motherwell
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vauxhall Vectra Estate

    Trim : SRI

    Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

    Year : 2007

    Mileage : 83k

    Default

    The way i described is actually the correct procedure to jumpstart a car but i went battery to battery the first time because i couldnt be bothered turning the car around so my jumpleads were strecthed to the max.

  10. #10
    Regular Member BaconSarnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Newcastle
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra

    Trim : Elite

    Engine : 150 cdti

    Year : 2004

    Mileage : 150k plus

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pattz123 View Post
    The way i described is actually the correct procedure to jumpstart a car but i went battery to battery the first time because i couldnt be bothered turning the car around so my jumpleads were strecthed to the max.
    Sorry for replying with quotes, I'm on my phone at the in laws. So a question on jumping, how does battery to engine differ from battery to battery? Does it activate or give more power to other parts? I never knew this was the way to jump-start so thanks for the lesson

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Engine Rebuild
    By Craig711 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17th May 2017, 12:53
  2. cranks no start no codes
    By odonnellkevin in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 4th June 2016, 08:00
  3. 2.2 Sri rebuild won't start
    By Vekky in forum Vectra C / Signum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12th March 2016, 13:44
  4. Car cranks but wont start
    By Dellaruse in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 24th September 2015, 16:34
  5. Rebuilt engine cranks.but no start
    By martin.lake in forum Vectra C / Signum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 11th April 2013, 21:49

Visitors found this page by searching for:

opel omega engine was rebuilt but wont start

problem starting omega opel after engine rebuild

why Omega A wont start after engine rebuild

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •