13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : VXR

Engine : Z28NET

Year : 2007

I’ve never been happy with how low the rear ride height sat since purchasing the car. When I checked what rear springs were fitted I found it had original specification KYB rear springs so obviously the OE rears had snapped which is a common problem. After pondering my options I knew I wanted to keep the IDS2+ shocks as I didn’t want to drop the car to the weeds. Speaking to various people and researching I opted for the Eibach Pro-Kit (springs only) part no. E10-65-011-02-22 for the Vectra VXR estate.

I found a German company on UK eBay AK_Fahrwerktechnik and sourced the springs for £115 delivered, I do like a bargain. They were ordered on Christmas day when I had 10 minutes spare, posted on Tuesday Dec 27th and arrived at 08:10 on Thursday Dec 29th, awesome service thanks to DHL.

Opened the package to check the spring numbers to confirm they were the correct parts in the supplied kit. Eibach don’t specifically list the 2.8 V6 Turbo in their catalogue here but they do list the following which use the same kit 1.9 CDTI, 2.0 DTI, 2.0 Turbo, 2.2 DTI, 3.2 V6.

Eibach list the front springs rated to 1135kg with part no. F11-65-007-02-VA. These fit both the hatch and estate models.

The rear springs for the estate only are rated to 1215kg with part no. F11-65-011-01-HA.

Last edited by ST200; 7th December 2017 at 14:03.

2. Likes Dog_Book, necrophobic75, Das, GSiFan liked this post
    Midlands - Vxr Owning Dick Dog_Book's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Engine : Z28NEH

Year : 07

Would be interesting to drive your back to back with mine as we'll have exactly the same car engine and brand new springs just different shocks.
    Vectra VXR estate 2007 Sapphire Black
    Teapot Tuned 255/300
    Eibachs B8's, fully loaded factory options

Tech2 & MDI diagnostics + SPS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra GSi 3.2 V6

Trim : GSi

Engine : Z32SE

Year : 2003

Mileage : 256,000

I have the Eiback hatch kit on my 3.2. They seem really good.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

On the last day of 2016 I took the plunge and installed the Eibach springs that arrived mega quickly from Germany earlier that week. To start with I got the rear in the air.

This is the nearside original specification KYB rear spring in its normal position, note someone had fitted the bump stop on the bottom but it doesn’t exactly matter. You can see that its coil bound and that the coils have been sitting hard against each other from the rust, I also believe it’s installed upside down. Offside spring was installed the same way round but the bump stop was correctly at the top position.

After reading a few options to remove the rear springs I opted for the lower arm outer bolt removal method. If you have OEM Xenon headlights remember to unbolt the level sensor fitting on the rear nearside arm or you’ll break it when levering down on the arm to remove the spring.

KYB left and Eibach on the right, I was hopeful at this point that the rear would rise a little as it was just too low with the KYB installed. KYB is a linear rate spring, same thickness throughout. The Eibach is a progressive spring, thin winding to thick and back to thin. Interesting non techie article detailing linear vs progressive here.

New spring prepped and ready for fitting with the bump stop to the correct top position.

Nearside all completed taking the vehicle weight at its compressed height.

Offside completed with no weight.

Last edited by ST200; 7th December 2017 at 14:10.

6. Likes Dog_Book, GSiFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

With the rear back on the ground I jacked up the front and started on another job as the offside inner CV boot had a small split so require replacing. Easiest method was to remove the drive shaft so I got it free from the hub using my heavy hide hammer so I didn’t damage the threads.

Quick tap on the inner CV and it popped off the intermediate shaft.

This is what the inner CV boot looked like, the bellows had got distorted and a tiny crack had opened up.

I hate universal stretch boots as I’ve had bad luck with them in the past so discounted that option. Vauxhall wanted £70 for an OE boot kit with no CV, really come on Vauxhall. I searched everywhere and no aftermarket manufacturer sold the correct inner boot kit so I researched into available boot sizes and sourced a Shaftec BK170 kit for £6. The BK170 was 35mm small hole diameter, 84mm large hole diameter and 97mm length. The length was perfect and being rubber I hoped the small hole would stretch to 36mm and the large hole to 91mm as these were the measurements I sourced for the OEM boot I was replacing.

OE boot removed I quickly realised the inner CV didn’t use an easily accessible circlip but instead a snap-ring on the drive shaft to secure it in position. Fortunately luck was on my side a small tap with a punch and hammer and off the CV popped. It had some funky snot green none smelly CV grease so reused this as there was plenty of it.

The new boot fitted nicely on the shaft using new universal stainless steel bands. I used my CV band toolage to tighten the band as this pulls the fitting tight while also pushing down, it was finished with a small hammer to make it flush.

CV boot finished and as I’ve done on my track car for added security I’ve also added a large ziptie on top of the bands to hold it all together and stop anything escaping.

Last edited by ST200; 7th December 2017 at 14:22.

8. Likes Dog_Book, GSiFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

With the drive shaft refitted I removed the strut and started with the spring removal. All tooled up and removing the top mount.

Eibach on the left and original spring on the right. Both linear springs with the Eibach a bit thicker but looking a fair bit shorted due to the tighter coil spacing.

New spring fitted so boshed it back on the car.

When I attached the nearside the strut had a bit of surface rust so I cleaned this up and painted it with etch primer and satin black to stop it getting any worse.

Front springs on.

I had some vouchers in my Amazon account so went spending on this, saves me changing it each service.

Old filter removed, airbox vacuumed out to clean up all the dead things living in there and new filter installed. K&N warning sticker placed out of sight under the MAF.

Last edited by ST200; 7th December 2017 at 14:30.

10. Likes Dog_Book, GSiFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

After a 50 mile drive out and about the suspension was settled to I checked the heights as it was looking much more level. Prior to fitting the Eibachs the front measured 680mm arch to floor and the rear was 650mm. It was a visible nose in the air and a55 on the ground but alas no before pictures I’m afraid. It now measures 665mm front and rear so a 15mm drop on the front and a 15mm rise on the rear which has helped to level the car.

The ride is a touch firmer on the Eibachs but still wafts along nicely. With the Sport button active the CDC shocks firm up nicely and seem more at home with the Eibach springs, the car feels more chuckable and eats up the tight twisty stuff with ease. All in all wifey and I are much happier with the leveller looks and driving experience of our Vectra VXR estate running OEM shocks and Eibach springs.

Rear height is much better up 15mm.

Front looks more planted and equal to the rear down by 15mm.

Last edited by ST200; 7th December 2017 at 14:32.

12. Likes Dog_Book, GSiFan, HarrysDad, RBH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra GSi 3.2 V6

Trim : GSi

Engine : Z32SE

Year : 2003

Mileage : 256,000

Nice work. The car looks really good.

Paul

Midlands - Vxr Owning Dick Dog_Book's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Engine : Z28NEH

Year : 07

Very nice, we should meet up soon i might be able to show you a couple of things on these and borrow your proper jack I need outer CV joints doing soon so will do inner boots at the same time. Not sure where your looking for genuine parts but there's loads of places to look and Pentagon Derby sort me out trade prices as im a Vec-C member. what part number were you looking at for the boot kits?
    Vectra VXR estate 2007 Sapphire Black
    Teapot Tuned 255/300
    Eibachs B8's, fully loaded factory options

Tech2 & MDI diagnostics + SPS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
    what part number were you looking at for the boot kits?
    93166790 (12793855) inner boot kit, found no aftermarket kits out there, Vauxhall dealer around £60
    93186951 (12793854) outer boot kit, loads available aftermarket and found genuine Saab boot kit for £24 on eBay, Vauxhall dealer around £55

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information