Thread: Warning - Car Theft Scam!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Exclamation Warning - Car Theft Scam!

Got this 2nd hand from another forum, but it probably applies to anyone selling a nice car....

Late on Saturday night I received a call from a chap claiming he wanted to buy my car, he asked some questions but nothing in detail, in fact I don’t think he even knew what a supercharger was. I informed him that it was too late to view the car that night, told him to call back in the morning. Surely enough 10 o’clock on Sunday he called. He said he would be coming around for 1.00pm.

1.00 o’clock came and no one had turned up, so I called him. He told me he was 10 minutes away and that he had got a bit lost. I informed him that I had not driven the car and that I was going to take it round the block to warm it up.

I jumped in my car I did a few blocks. Whilst going round the block for about the 5th time I noticed a silver Mercedes (with 4 passengers) driving like a lunatic going towards the direction of my house, so I perused it, the merc had not even come to a standstill and a chap jumped out, the merc then just sped off. I pulled up outside my house, he had not even noticed my car or me, until I called him over (duh if your coming to buy a R32 you should know what it looks like).

It was a Sunday and he was wearing a tatty black suit with brown shoes! (Who wears a suit on a Sunday?) In fact he just looked suspect. His phone kept going off every couple of minutes…….hmmmmmmm. He asked me to pop the bonnet and turn the engine on, so I did but I locked the car door when I did this, whilst I did this he again was on the phone speaking to someone. He then asked to look at the paperwork for the car; I took the key out of the ignition and went indoors, showed him the paperwork and sent it back indoors with one of my sisters. He again requested that I turn the engine on so that he could hear the exhaust, so I jumped in my car, locked the car door and started the engine (he was on the phone again, almost as if he was taking instructions). He was still on and off his phone, and by this stage I was definitely sure that he was hear to steal my car along with the other blokes in the merc waiting round the corner…………….He then asked if he could test drive it, I asked if he had his insurance docs with him or any ID to which his reply was no. I said I was not comfortable letting him test drive my car, without knowing who he was or that he was insured. At this stage I wanted to get him away from my house, as there were no males in the household. I told him that I would drive the car and drive it around for him……..so he jumped in and so did my sister……..I had decided to drive the car to my friend’s garage (but I did not tell him that). On the way I was just chatting to him, I asked him how he had got to my house, he told me by cab…….hmmmmmmmmmmm (I knew this to be untrue). Again his phone would just keep ringing, I could hear someone shouting at him, “wear the duck are you” (in a strong Irish accent). I still kept chatting to him trying to make out that I had not sussed anything was wrong………Eventually I pulled up outside my friends garage (whom I a called earlier and warned). To my relief out came 6 tall beefy looking blokes. I jumped out of the car and handed my keys to my friend (Asif). Asif asked him “yes mate do you want to buy the car”. Johnny (the thief) said yes, but wanted to test drive the car, Asif told him that unless he had insurance, ID, or 19K to buy the car, that would not be possible. Even so Johnny still insisted he wanted to drive the car, once again his kept getting phone calls, and this time the chap at the other end was going totally mad at him. All my friends at the garage came over, and said that he could not drive the car, Asif said to come back with some money and ID plus insurance details and he was more than welcome to drive the car. Asif, Johnny my sister and I jumped back into the car and dropped him off at Leytonstone station, we saw him go into the station, but we drove round the corner and waited. Sure enough 10 mins later the silver merc turned up and Johnny jumped into it and sped off.

I reported it to the police, they informed me that they are aware of these types of crews and how they operate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

its a good job he had his head screwed on and that he had noticed them in the first place, could have been very costly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Remember watching the same scam on "THE REAL HUSTLE",Search on YOUTUBE there are many videos on there

It must be a very popular way of stealing cars,its best to have somebody else with you never sell alone,they need the keys,dont give them

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It's a scary world out there, and exactly why I ended up trading my BMW in for the Veccy rather than go through the hassle of a private sale. Last thing I needed was something like this happening with my wife 8 months pregnant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

this is why u should meet buyers in petrol stations or car parks some where public so they dont know were u live and always take a couple of mates with u. it was a good job u saw them

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i saw that last year on a vw website. matey has a blue 32

Thread Information