Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audii A3 Sportback

Trim : S Line Black Edition

Engine : 2.0 Diesel

Year : 2011

Angry Car Cleaning Nightmare!

I went car booting with the Mrs this morning, I was already grumpy about having to get up early and load the car with junk and of course to make matters worse when we got there (Taplow), the site was a dustbowl so the car was completely covered in dust by the time we parked.

During the day our foldable clothes rack got caught by a gust of wind and careered into the side of the car creating some nasty looking, albeit on close inspection, not so serious scratches on the car.

On the way home I stopped off a different Halfords to my local one to discover that they had the full range of Megs stuff in stock so I bought a bottle of paint cleaner, another Megs Water magnet and three more microfibres (3 for 2 offer is still on).

Got home, unloaded the car and proceeded to start washing the car. Whilst I was cleaning the wheels my Stepson Alex suggests that I spray the front of the car to loosen any bugs etc. At that moment I remembered reading a thread on Detailing World about Einzatt bug cleaner that you spray on as a pre-treater prior to washing and trying to be clever I suggested that we try some of the Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover on the front of the car as a pre-treater. Alex went and retrieved the stuff from the garage and preceeded to give the front of the car a good spraying.

Meanwhile I finished cleaning the wheels with Megs Wheel Cleaner, I sprayed the arches with Megs APC and waited a few minutes before rinsing the wheels and arches. I went back round the front and tried to rinse the front of the car.

To my horror, nothing came off, there was just a milky white film all over the front of the car.

nevermind I thought, it will come off in the wash so I carried on washing the car using my mitt using gentle pressur to try and remove the substance. This was also to no avail.

Once I rinsed and dried the car, I decided to remove the scratches along the side of the car whilst I thought what to do about the bug remover. Meg Paint Cleaner worked a treat removing the scratches and I re-polished and re-sealed the side using CG Polish.

Going back to the front of the car, I liberal squirt of Last Touch and rubbing with a Microfibe removed the white film from the paint work but that left the V Grill, lower grill, and fog light surounds.

Eventually Alex and I got pairs of long nose pliers wrapped in a microfibre and meticulously cleaned each hole in all of the grills and applied a liberal of vinyl and rubber care so that the grills returned to their normal colour.

So much for a quick wash today - it took 5 hours faffing about thanks to my stupid ideas.

On a positive note, we did make £90.00 profit from the car boot which will be paying for a new Electric Coolbox for the car which will be going with us to PVS when we are camping.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

bl00dy hell Dave - sounds like a complete nightmare!! it's typical though, you try to save yourself some time and in the end making a longer job of it!!

glad the scratches and the turtle wax bug remover eventually came off!

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : SRi

Engine : Z22SE (2.2 Petrol)

Year : 2004

Mileage : 137000

Nightmare, I did a similar thing a couple of months ago, I decided to take my front seats out to give the interior a proper clean, when I put them back in I put 2 dints with 2 paint chips right down to the metal with the seat runners. Best price to fix, £100.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Angry I did exactly the same!!

I used the turtle wax tar and bug remover and had exactly the same problem last year.

It took a hell of a long while to get it off the grille, though it did eventually come off.

Needless to say it got tipped away soon after!

If I use a product like it in the future I'd be inclined to put it on a cloth and wipe the area's with the bugs/tar, rather then spraying the whole front of the car.

Cheers,
    Graham

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've used stuff like this before and you have to be very careful. On my old punto I put some turtle wax bug shampoo on and it dried to leave drip marks that never came off! You could see them in the light and no amount of polishing ever shifted them.

I think there's no substitute for a bit of elbow grease rather than these acidic bug removers.

Thread Information