0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default help wanted service for 3.0 v6 cdti

my second service is due and i got quoted 235 for a vauxhall dealer service. i asked how what they did for that and basically it`s a oil and filter change air and pollen filter change and a body work check. it sounds like a total rip off to me. so i decided to see if i can get some info on how to do it myself. air filter and pollen filter change sound easy enough. but having trouble with the oil. does any one know how to do this or can they send a link to a how to for this. on a 3.0 v6 cdti. does this involve taking the skid pan off is that a difficult job, and how much oil is in one of these engines. i also need to tighten the hand brake which i know would be a extra charge on the service. is there a how to on this? is there anything else you would recommened changing on a two year old car in your experience. brake fluid, diesel filter etc. many thanx for any help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one word of warning.if your car is under 3 years old you must have the car serviced to vauxhall schedual and it must be done either by a main dealer or by a VAT registered garage.should the car go wrong just out of warranty vauxhall may contribute to the cost of repairs but if you havnt got the car serviced by a proper garage then it will be tough s***.
    as to parts you will need 7 litres of 5w30 long life oil.for a genuine oil filter buy one for a saab 9-5 3.0 diesel,it is a 1/4 of the price and the same part

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The oil filter is easy to change. But £235 sounds quite reasonable to be honest. Considering the Vauxhall oil filter alone is £33 retail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by solorider View Post
    and it must be done either by a main dealer or by a VAT registered garage.
    This isn't actually true ... have a read of this thread: http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=14605&page=3

With regard to the oil change ... yes the bottom cover needs to come off (or at least the access flap opened) and I would strongly recommend a ramp is used if available as the filter housing is a b*tch to get off ... Vauxhall actually have a special tool which looks like a cup shape on the end of a long pole ... if you can get hold of one of these then I recommend you do (I'm trying to source one for my next service). The centre nut is removed which drains the oil but to remove the filter you must unscrew the base of the filter housing and there isn't much clearance to get tools in. When mine was done my uncle had it up on a ramp at the garage he works for and he enlisted the help of me and another mechanic to clamp a pair of clamps that were clamped onto the housing and unscrew the thing ... Vauxhall had torqued it up beyond belief!

The book says the sump is 6.5 litres but mine took closer to 7.

HTH

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for the oil and filter change try either kwik-fit / national tyres or lex auto centre's, they will be resonably priced and i think that lex can stamp the book to, or if you fancy coming to notts i can give you the number of the vauxhall service centre cos they are doing my 2nd service for £109 all in
    Midlands Mod Shop - NFFC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jon ixi View Post
    my second service is due and i got quoted 235 for a vauxhall dealer service. i asked how what they did for that and basically it`s a oil and filter change air and pollen filter change and a body work check.
    Are they meaning the anti-perforation check? If so, they're telling you a load of ******. It states quite clearly that they are free if done at the same time as a service.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duncan is dead right, if you go in just for the anti perforation check, then it is chargeable, but it is free as part of the service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a second service the wheels should be removed
    The rear front pads and discs will be measured
    However, the rear discs need to be removed to inspect the rear handbrake shoes

For this service the alloy wheel lock is essential, without it the service cannot be completed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks guys any body know how to tighten hand brake so if i leave it in to get serviced i shouldn`t have to pay any extra for them to do it. just called into halfords today as only place open on a sunday. the oil reccommened by castrol which is edge 0w-30. is 45 quid for four litres i need two as capacity is 7.25 litres. and they didn`t do a oil or air filter in there product charts they only did a diesel filter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jon ixi View Post
    thanks guys any body know how to tighten hand brake so if i leave it in to get serviced i shouldn`t have to pay any extra for them to do it. just called into halfords today as only place open on a sunday. the oil reccommened by castrol which is edge 0w-30. is 45 quid for four litres i need two as capacity is 7.25 litres. and they didn`t do a oil or air filter in there product charts they only did a diesel filter.
    If you use non-original Vauxhall parts (or authentic equivalents ... but you really don't want to go there!) your warranty will be void. Here are the costs (as supplied in the thread I pasted a link to above) for genuine Vauxhall parts from your dealer:

Fuel Filter: £8.50
    Oil Filter: £31.75
    Air Filter: £9.25
    Pollen Filter: £9.64
    5l Fully Synth Oil: £28.10
    Sump Plug Washer: £0.79

The hand brake is self adjusting by the way and shouldn't need tightening AFAIK.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information