Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : SXI limited edition

Engine : 2.0 16v DTI

Year : 2003

Mileage : 140000

Just replaced the oem branded Dayco auxiliary belt for an aftermarket Gates version the Draycott one was replaced 2 years ago together with a new tensioner...
    The tensioner is fine and has full range... the belt i could just slip off without to much of a problem... compared it with the Gates one and I had about 1 cm extra on the the old dayco belt... just so you realise how bad that is.... the old belt has no signs of ware other than the markings on the outerside aren't readable anymore... but still there...

I hope to have a better experience with the Gates belt, and that it'll last at least 4 years... which is the normal lifespan of said belts anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Bought the other wheelbearing for the os front, going to change it today as it has been making a noise.. a howling noise ever since I replaced the ns one...

Not a big deal.but I also have to replace the steering rack boots.... but with them at 20 pounds and a kit ( the whole track rods, track rods end and boots for both sides) coming in at 40 pounds including new rings and grease you know I will be doing just that... but it'll be bought next week.

Another step to having the car in a better state than I ever expected it to be...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

And done! kinda had to loosen the hub from the shock absorbers to get to the top nut on the bearing. But once I had that off it was just take the lot off and put on the new one... now both sides are done I'm just left to do the track rods boots but as I said before the lot will be replaced new. Price wise it would be stupid not too and when it's done I will be taking the car down for a hunters alignment.

Also new front tires are on the horizon... these lasted longer than the manufacturers specified so I will be getting the same brand again.

But that is for next month... spreading the costs is the best way to deal with it for me.

4. Likes Vwdub2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

PS had a nice surprise this morning... car didn't turn over... was in a hurry as i had to be somewhere at a certain time... found the problem quick enough, but in doing so it drained the battery, beyond starting... so what it was, as i had to remove the brake calliper on the OS yesterday i forgot to pump the brakes when i re-assembled the car... this made the ABS act up in such a way that the ECU didn't respond to the reader... so i had to pull both the ABS and ECU cables leave it off for 20 minutes than reconnect the lot... scan again erase all the faults, pump the brakes and i could get the car to turnover on the key, but battery drained in the that time so had to get the jumper cables out, than ask my neighbour for his car keys so i could jump start it... started immediately after that... managed to get there 10 minutes late but luckily not a problem as the person waiting for me was late...

left the car running all the time got back home and the car starts without a problem... will put the battery on the trickle charger overnight today and see if that makes a difference but all in all it was an eventful morning... all because i forgot to pump the brakes after re-assembly...

and for those that doubt it was that i had to pump the brakes over 3 time to get the balance right as the abs kept logging error codes.. knowing full well both fronts have new sensors on them and new bearings. Save to say next time i won't forget to pump the brake pedal (only happened because i got caught by the rain twice yesterday while replacing the wheel bearing and i didn't want to go and sit behind the wheel in my wet clothes)

6. Likes Jon1796, Dog_Book, Vwdub2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

well got new track rods, track rod ends and new boots(gaiters) to put on the steering rack so am pondering if I'm going to do it today or tomorrow... just came in and already assembled the boots on the new track rods... so basically it's taking the old one of measure it and set the new one to the exact same size and put it on.. saves me a trip to the hunter alignment machine ( as I'll have to book that up anyway) might just grab a pair of new drop links too as the ones put on last year already have damage from me not getting them off when i replaced the shocks... the work never stops....

and for people who think but you haven't done anything lately... well i have replaced all the springs on the astra with oem ones since the Bonrath lowering springs developed a knock on the oem sized KYB sport shocks... checked the size and although they are right they had play... so my neighbour who owns that car went for the oem spring solution... no worries he properly paid me for it... as i spend 6 hours on getting the lot on as he forgot to leave his spring compressors in the car ( yeah you can do it without but the car was acting up) than i did another jeep in the street and worked on a mercedes also so i have been busy most of the week...

f-that i'm off to get my drop links... so i can finish it all in one go...

8. Likes Vwdub2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

got the drop-links but it is to muggy outside now so will do it tomorrow morning, now I got all the parts to do it all in one go... and bought a fresh pot of grease so i can fill up those boots nicely... the car is getting better and better... oww and i just finished re-colouring the anthracite grey leather front seats to proper black... it looks so much better... doorcards are already black and so is the complete rear seat... it's getting there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Drop-links done, track rods well that'll be a job I'll have to have done... simple fact is that the I nee track rods bolt size is either 36 or bigger and the only thing you can use in that working on the street is a spanner.... and I don't have that size as a spanner.

Yeah now u can hear you think well you got the lot what about removing just the track rod end? It's trusted stuck so will need a bridge to get any movement on that part... and if I need a bridge I might as well have it done. Saves me from getting dirt.

So I'll be looking for some quotes to have that sorted ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

man i just noticed the Tapatalk auto-correct on my previous post: it is appalling!

Anyway i booked the car in to have the track rods/ ends and boots changed over coming Thursday... saving myself the headache, and they'll align it right after they've done the job so the rice i'd normally pay for an alignment is the price i'm paying to have the stuff mounted and aligned... that is a result and a half

So in light of that i turned my attention to the damaged paint on the front bumper, just waiting right now for the primer to dry so i can go and wet-sand the lot. It's only a part repair so whatever damage is in the bottom of the bumper will stay on it.. the car is from '03 no need for it to look like it just came out of the showroom, it needs to have some battle scars.

12. Likes Jon1796 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

had the track rods and ends replaced with new items including new boots and an alignment right after... the car drives like it's on rails best thing i've done so far... front is all new everything.. tracking was miles out but due to me being used to it i managed not to have a weird tire ware pattern...

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread Information