1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

Default Neighbour hit my car

Just after some opinions on what to do

My neighbour two doors down was parked in front of my car 2 Sundays ago. There was about 3ft of space between his towbar and my bumber, however he had parked his van tight against his cars front bumper!

I heard him revving the hell out of his car and going backwards and forward (I watched him from front window) then I saw my car getting bumped backwards! So decided to get shoes on and see what was going on!!

He had gone by the time I went out but was left with a nice dent in front bumper (just above number plate)

I went straight to his door and told his Mrs what had happened and she told me she would send him around asap.

Anyway... He came around and apologised and told me to get estimate and we would settle without insurance being involved. Well quotes have been between £357-450 to repair! He has now just sent his Mrs and Mum to my door, saying they will now go through insurance and started taking pictures and measurements lol

They have told me, their insurance wants three estimates (I have 2) and they will be dealing with it now

So what do I do?? My car was stationery, I haven't got their insurance details and they haven't got mine. They have said their insurance will sort it out and get car repaired BUT I think their going to dispute it!

I'm not sure exactly how he hit my car but I witnessed my car being rocked back. Do I inform my insurance or do I just let his insurance deal with it?

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Mileage : 85000

Ask for his insurance details from the off. And this is just my opinion, im sure others will disagree, but do not contact your insurance unless you are forced to because he decides not to play ball. Even though you were parked, not in the car and its clearly not your fault even telling your insurance will make them decide you are a higher risk to them and they will increase your premiums and hold a non fault claim against you. I have made 3 claims via the other persons insurance over the years, in all cases my car was damaged(and in one case written off) parked while I was at work or in my house.
    Surely a Neighbor wouldn't try to screw you over Mac?

3. Likes bigmac, Johnsdutton liked this post
    Admin & Membership Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

He was fine and apologised and even said he was struggling to get out. I told him to tap door in future! His Mrs and Dragon in law on the other hand, seemed to have the hump and wanted pictures and measurements. They may think his towbar is too low down to cause the damage? It does certainly look a little low down but damage wasn't on car when I parked it up, I walked in front of car and checked he had enough room because I saw his ****** big tow bar lol

Also they have taken measurements from the wrong place! My car was parked slightly further back than normal, so was on a slight slope.. meaning his towbar would of been higher up on my bumber than normal.

More hassle I suppose

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 1.8

Trim : Sri

Engine : 1.8, 1.8vvt,

Do not trust your neighbour, he made off originally without reporting it, only cooperated when caught.

Now they seem to be disputing the damage. I would contact my insurance company as that is official and then if they deny it they are committing fraud. I understand getting blamed for none fault and it affecting your premium but for me it's worth the risk.

It's your choice but I would be very surprised if you get a penny from your neighbour.

6. Thanks bigmac thanked for this post
    Likes Tadpole liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 6

Trim : Sport

Engine : MZR-CD 2.2

Mileage : 77k

At the very least get his insurance details and contact his company, you witnessed the damage and their insurance will have to take your word against theirs. No idea why the MIL had to get involved? Tell her to keep her snout out if she rocks up at your door again, it's between you and your neighbour, not her. Shame they didn't just settle it as they initially said

8. Likes bigmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra c SRI CDTI 150

Trim : SRI

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2008

Mileage : 117,000

Put his number plate in the mib website and it will tell you the insurance company he is with. Give them a call and confirm whether it had been declared

10. Thanks bigmac thanked for this post
    Professional Trader ChrisKnottInsurance's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Take your own photographs and measurements based on where you were parked before the shunt. You'll have to inform your insurer at some point but make it clear you're only doing so for information purposes. You'll also need your neighbour's insurance details as you want to get your claim in independent of what the neighbour tells them.

Chris Knott Insurance - Official Insurance Partner
    Please call 0800 917 2274 / 01424 200477 and quote CODE VEC-906
    LIKE us on Facebook - prize draw @ 1000 LIKES

12. Thanks bigmac thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

We get reports like this all the time, it always seems to end up more complicated than it needs to be.
    'Technically' its a fail to stop RTC, even though it was just a shunt, its left damage and he obviously knew he had nudged you. It depends on the neighbours attitude to be honest, if they start being funny just go to your local Police Station and make a report over the counter and make it formal.
    However, the easiest and simplest solution is to get their insurance details (can do this through MIB yourself if they don't want to pass them) and report the incident to them yourself and let them take it from there, you witnessed the damage and he has admitted to it so it should be open and shut. The insurance companies tend to use their own people for repairs so the 3 quotes wont matter.
    Hope it gets sorted out quickly bud, always gets a bit awkward when its a neighbour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggle View Post
    Put his number plate in the mib website and it will tell you the insurance company he is with.
    Link please, as the only one that I keep finding on there only provides information that it's either insured or it isn't, not details of the insurance company.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra c SRI CDTI 150

Trim : SRI

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2008

Mileage : 117,000

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast