User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want a new computer

Worrying bout nothing..... Cause worryings a waste of my f***ing time!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Want a new computer

Hi all this is mainly for the computer buffs on here but i wanna get a new pc this one i have had for nearly four years, how easy is it to build one & what do i need to get & the best places to get the bits or is it easier to just buy a ready made unit. I don't play games on it just mess about with music, photo's movies & alot of internet use.

thanks in advance for your advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

try dell for some good deals or ebuyer if you just want to upgrade your tower and keep your monitor.

building your own is good but you need to know what you are doin - dont forget you will get 12m warranty if the buy the whole package from a shop aswell....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You need to do some home work if your going to build your own.

I would start looking at the processor first(cost v speed etc) and then decide on your motherboard and once you've chosen the motherboard its what type of ram to fit.Its best to go to crucial.com and enter the make and model of motherboard and see what crucial advise.You can always buy it from somewhere else once you know then spec.I buy all my computer bits from www.ebuyer.com .

They are very cheap and have had no problems with them.

Your hard drive is best if its a sata one but if your using windows xp then you'll need the driver before the installation of windows(can be a pain).If your installing Vista then the sata drivers are already in and it installs automatically.

Make sure you buy a good graphics card if your going to play games(new ones are pci-e,older ones are agp).
    I paid about £130 for a graphics card and it still plays the latest games 6 months down the line.You need to be looking at at least a Geforce 7800 or higher to play games smoothly.

Putting the computer together is a doddle as everything only installs one way round so you cannot plug something in into the wrong slot.

Its well worth putting your own computer together because you learn how it works and if you wish to upgrade in the future then you already know what it looks like inside

I would only go for a fast duel core processor if your going to need it..ie video editing/converting,games etc.If your just going to be surfing the net,writing letters etc then a single core athlon 3800+ will cost very little but does the job perfectly.
    I would also install at least 1gb of ram(pref on one stick) so that you can put another 1gb stick on later.

Hard drive space again depends on what you want to do with the computer.Basic use then 60-80gb will be fine.Storing dvd videos and editing them+games then 100+gb is needed.(i have 750gb installed and 2gb ram)

Once you've chosen your pieces then surf the net looking for reviews on them cos you'll find that what looks perfect to start with can turn out to be unreliable when you've read the reviews.I changed quite a few of my spec pieces a few times before finally ordering them.

Hope this all helps and if you need any other advice then just pm me and i'll be happy to help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm with nickc.

For years I've been building PC's for mates and colleagues and when it came to building a decent one for myself, I couldn't be arsed so I purchased a DELL. Now, when people ask me PC advice, I ALWAYS say 'Buy a Dell'.

All Dell PC's now ship with Windows Vista too. Save yourself heaps of time and go to www.dell.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Madgunner View Post
    Hi all this is mainly for the computer buffs on here but i wanna get a new pc this one i have had for nearly four years, how easy is it to build one & what do i need to get & the best places to get the bits or is it easier to just buy a ready made unit. I don't play games on it just mess about with music, photo's movies & alot of internet use.

thanks in advance for your advice
    Ok, self build is easy, if you browse google and type in how to build a pc, something with pics will appear.

From what your use for a pc is I'd recommend this set up....going from best to cheapest.

1 - Case - LianLi - Thermaltake - Jeantech

2 - Power - Hiper/Antec - Generic - must be rated higher than 400w min

3 - Motherboard - Asus/Gigabyte/MSI/Abit/Foxconn - Will range £55 - £200

4 - Processor - Intel Core2Duo 6300-6800 this does video in a flash

5 - Memory - Generic 2gigs running as two units in dual mode

6 - Graphic Card - PCI-E Geforce 7300GT upwards, this card will do what you want easily, and is about £50 now and can be SLi'd but you need two the same

7 - Hard Drive - Maxtor 250 gig Sata 11

8 - DVD - Liteon, can be had for £20-30, 16x and silver and black bezels included.

9 - Sound Card - Use Onboard or get a Creative Audigy

10 - TV Card - Compro DVB-T 200 - 700, power up scheduling freeview and radio

Or buy one here....http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/

Ranked about 3rd in satisfaction tables, branches at Portchester and Bristol, and don't forget to get a 64 bit oem version of Vista at the same time.

Check their barebones systems also, thats case/mb/pro/mem/cooler/power, you just add graphics and drives to it.
    Last edited by VauxVeteran; 16th April 2007 at 00:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Totally agree with the Dell camp - build a number of computer for myself, friends & family but won't bother again. It doesn't work out much cheaper than the specials that Dell regularly offer (as long as you don't need to up spec it and at least you have a warranty, which is much better than trying to work out which component's gone down, take the thing to bits & send it off with fingers crossed your right - never again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Dell all the way for me aswell, quality machines, excellent tech support, and brilliant aftercare service

Regular Member scott_150cdtisri's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i bought a dell a few months back the e521 amd 5000+ dual core 2gig ram 320gb hard drive dvd writer and 256mb radeon graphics card. i pretty much only use mine foe internet music and photos and i think its a fantastic machine. good thing with dell is you can build your computer to your own spec and the customers service and after sales is fantastic. big thumbs up for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Dell all the way. Warranty etc is spot on and very cheap compared to self build.

I used to build. Can't be arsed now.

My view is if you want to buy games, buy an Xbox 360/Wii/PS3 etc. Games are written for a console that doesn't change in spec so they all work etc. 6 months down the line you need extra memory, video card etc. etc.

Regular Member scott_150cdtisri's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the docs right! if i want to play games i just switch on the xbox!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information