Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Red face Engine Management Light & Hesitation

Hi all. New on here, so will do the intros in the proper section in a bit.

I have only just purchased an 03 reg Vectra-C 1.8 SXI 5 door in Bamboo Green.

The mileage is a bit leggy (reflected in the price of £3000 that I paid) at 108,000, but being an ex-lease car I am not at all put off as it has full, properly documented history, and I can see that everything was done whenever it was required (including cambelts) according to the VX scheduling. It is really a beautiful car, both to drive and to behold.

My problem is this: I had to collect it later than planned as the Engine Management Light was on, and it failed the MOT on emissions. Apparently, they changed the airflow sensor (I think that is the name, but bear with me as am not too techhy!) and then got it through.

So I came to collect it yesterday, and I noticed the light was on still (solid, not flashing). The guy at the garage (not a VX dealer btw) tried to tell me it would go off after about 40 miles of driving as they all came on after an oil change. I knew immediately this was B.S., but I took it away after I made him sign a document stating they knew the light was still on, and that after 40 miles I would return the car for them to rectify etc. So off I went and as I was pulling away in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears I noticed a bit of hesitation. In fact, in first gear I put my foot flat to the metal, and it took the car about a 1 or 2 second delay before giving power - it actually felt like a turbo kicking in. Then in 2nd and 3rd I could feel what felt like mini misfires through the acceleration range.

I later took it out for a drive which happened to last 40 miles or so, and although it is a beautiful car to drive, I noticed even at higher speeds (upto 70) the slight misfires. Cruise control seemed to work brilliantly, though, and it sat nicely at 60 / 70mph. Also at idling I noticed the engine sounded like it was accelerating and dipping ever so slightly, in fact it felt and almost sounded like a v12 engine would do, just not very loud.

Anyway, today I set off for work and same thing in 1st - 3rd gear happened. So I called the garage, took it back and they have loaned me a Mondeo 2.0 zetec. The Mondeo is nowhere nearly as nice to sit in, but the drive is not too bad. Not as smooth as the Vectra (despite the hesitation).

This is my first ever VX and to be honest even with this problem, I am not really put off, and in fact already miss the Vectra despite having had it for only one night!

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas as to what this problem maybe then I would be grateful for your input (or a link to any threads on here which I may have missed in the searches).

My research so far has thrown up some possibles:

1) airflow sensor (already replaced)
    2) camshaft/driveshaft angle sensor faulty (dont even know what this is)
    3) EGR valve dirty or faulty (to do with emissions, I believe?)
    4) ECU faulty - oh dear, but at least the car is under warranty for any of this.

Any input is gratefully accepted.

Thank you.
    Last edited by centaur; 13th April 2007 at 21:40.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi, did u ever figure the problem , i have the same with my 03 veccy,driving me nuts and killing my wallet. help.

Thread Information