Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default pinking problems?? advice please

hi

ive tried numerous things to try and stop my car from pinking but still haven't found the solution.
    so far ive bought a new air flow meter and that didn't work
    ive been running on high octane fuel since i bought the car

im running out of idea's, can any one help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

right..if it still pinks, then i suggest you take it into VX and ask them to sort out the software as longterm running with a car that pinks is bad for the engine..

does it pink still if you give it more throttle in every gear..i know you have the throttle delay problem, but does treading on the throttle harder help?..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thumbs up

i think your the only person on here that helps me. lol.

i should have continued on the other thread but thought that might be off topic as that was about the afm and now im asking about pinking.

sorry to be an annoying b*****d but you know what its like when you've got a prob that proper annoys you and cant find the solution.

im gonna run some engine cleaner through it today and try that, if not its back to vx, we'll be on first name terms soon.

you know i never had any problems with my corsa which was also on a 06, to me that drove twice as good as the veccy.

do you not think there is an easy fix as im sure it never pinked before i put the air filter in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    right..if it still pinks, then i suggest you take it into VX and ask them to sort out the software as longterm running with a car that pinks is bad for the engine..

does it pink still if you give it more throttle in every gear..i know you have the throttle delay problem, but does treading on the throttle harder help?..
    it only pinks at low revs. (and its not my driving style. honest)

if i boot through every gear and keep the revs high it only pinks as it passes 1500rpm in first.

the problem is when (for example), you slow down to turn a corner, put it in 2nd and then accelerate, it pinks until it hits around 2000rpm or if i want a leasurely drive on a 30 mph road in 4th the revs stay around 1500 -1700 , none of my other cars have struggled in 4th just above 30.

it only pinks when putting my foot down to accelerate. thats why its more noticable going up hil because the revs dont go up as fast so it pinks for longer.

if setting off on a hill the car shouldn't pink in 1st and 2nd should it? i would have thought it might in 3rd if its struggling but the car does it even when its not struggling ( setting off on the flat).

if the revs are at 1000rpm in too high a gear the car struggles (obviously) but doesn't pink, the pinking on comes on around 1500 rpm.

the sound it makes is like a tinkling noise, its not overly noisey, just noticable. is this definatly pinking?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

lol, I think this could be a case of mistaken identity, have the exhaust shield checked out, pinking normally comes on straight away not 1500 rpm, also has the car had any new exhaust parts fitted recently? I ask cos a new box will resonate until it cokes up a bit. hth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Could the pinking be caused by a faulty knock sensor ? I think there are two, front and rear of the engine but I could be mistaken

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i was thinking that as well but apparently the engine management light would come on if the knock sensor/s was faulty??
    i dont know though but its doing my head in and im thinking of changing them anyway!!

do you know how easy they are to access??

vx wont do anything for me unless the eml comes on a registers a fault.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

do these engines / gearboxes have the dual mass flywheel or is that only the oil burners? If yes then could this cause the rattle. Knock sensors can be tricky to install and are very delicate, plus they are not too cheap. Last one I priced up for a Cav V6 (i know its a different engine) was £75. Also you have the variable valve timing, so it could well be something faulty in that dept, with the cam shaft not being adjusted correectly, but within engine tolerance so the light doesnt come on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra cdti estate

Trim : Get a

Engine : Dirty diesel

Year : 2006

dunno if this will help but we had a 1.6-16v astra sxi 02 reg and this had major pinking probs, was told eventualy ( after 7 visits to the dealers we got it from ) that it needed a new ecu as it was not holding all the info it was suppoesd to and wait for this.....................told it was going to be 9 month wait, **** that i said and went to another dealer, there i was told it wasnt running the correct software and they upgraded it under warranty, still some pinking ( but not as bad ) even after this though, got well cheesed off so bit the bullet ( after 6 months of ownership ) and part choped it for a meriva, the garage gave us a good deal although we did lose £2000.00 on it , hope you find out the probs not as severe as ours was cos it cost me loads of time and money........originaly got the car from reg vardy and safe to say never went back again..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

@ best, you could just have a hotspot of carbon in a cylinder, the fuel treatment should get rid of that for you, but don't go hunting for it at expense, it will become a moneypit, always start with a fuel flush treatment when this sort of thing happens, and don't use a cheapy one, go to Vx and get a Fortron one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information