Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rear end slides

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Can you get someone to drive your car and you follow it? It will look terrible bouncing up and down if the shockers are gone on a bumpy road. Mine even passed its MOT like it but I then nearly lost the back end at 20MPH around a bumpy roundabout-it will now do the same roundabout at over 70! The problem is the springs hold the car quite well if you stand and bounce the corners of the car and it's not until the shockers are changed do you realise what a bad ride you are having! If you're on Network Q you'll get them changed no probs-might struggle on normal warranty! Ask your stealer to make a complaint to Vx to get em all recalled and changed-I've tried but there aren't enough going wrong apparently..........!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A little more info to add to shockers debate. I had exactly the same symptoms and contacted local dealer who quoted £280 + vat to replace both rear shocks. Car is still under warranty (39000) but told by local dealer they only cover shocks for first 9 months. Not happy so called vauxhall uk only to be told that shock absorbers are classed as "consumable items" so therefore only covered by warranty for first 3 months. Only found the leak when jacking UP the car and fluid leaked out. Took it to a friendly village garage who supplied and fitted both rears with reputable items for £165 all in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by spuddevans View Post
    I know what you mean, I had something very similar on my 03 Vec C, it would step out at the back on rough road or manhole and would do it pant-messingly-scarily at anything over 60mph!!!
    Turns out I had 1 shot shock, the drivers rear had the tell-tale oil dripping down it, but also the upper control arm bush's on both sides had loads of play in them. Unfortunately you cannot get these bush's as spare's, none of my local motor factors could find one and Vx confirmed that the bush is not available seperately. ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

The upper control arms, Genuine Vx part, cost 64+vat each, and like shocks should only be fitted in pairs!!! The good news is that there are a German non-official upper control arm available for 35+vat and according to the parts man in my local Vx dealer the german ones are exactly the same as the Vx ones, so you can guess which ones I got fitted.

I dont know the name of the geman manufacturer, but I got them through my local Vx dealer, charles hurst vauxhall in portadown.

Hope this helps mate, get a look at your shocks, and then check out the play in the rear wheels when they're both jacked up, if you've got play the most likely the upper control arms need replacing.

Tim
    That's the ones, and they don't last long either, I've had them replaced at 17k and 39k now, they weren't shot just had play in them, but i was advised on them and got Vx to sort while they still have to foot the bill, I think the way to testthem is to jack up, and then put a bar under the wheel, you can then rock the top of the wheel by an inch or so then if they are shot. hth.

Shocks are also a heavy wear item, me and a mate joke about his Omega where he has to have a new set of rears once a yr, a real joke it is that they leak so easy and so soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thumbs up

Many thanks for the advise.
    Tomorrow at 08.00 I down at the stealers with the Technican so we shall see, to be honest my money is with you guys.

Again many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Talking

Well just got back from Vx and the techy had the same thoughts as you guys rear near side shock gone. £200.00 all done. Well when the part turns up, its in next saturday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you're under Network Q I really would kick a fuss up. I had mine replaced under NetQ no problems. Try getting in touch with the warranty company themselves. If they say no as well find out why they do some and not the others. I'll be a witness that they do it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Worth a try giving VX a phone call but if you get the French sounding guy I did you will get little sympathy or joy. If you do, can you get his her name and let me know, I will try and claim retrospectively.Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cool

Unfortunatley I'm not network Q.
    And Lesbo I my self have spoken to the "french guy" and your right he's employed not to listen.

Still more important things to worry about like fighting the dishwasher people. Now into week 5 of no dishwasher and the wife is on the brink of vapuorising spontaniously. Watch this space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Talking

Finally folks. all done and one 3.2i V6 Signum sticking to the road like some very enthusiastic bit of road kill. both rear shocks fitted by the stealers for £218.00 in 1 hour 25mins shame the 25 was shut could not quite if it the test I wanted to. Once again many thanksfor your input.

Sig53

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra GSi 3.2 V6

Trim : GSi

Engine : Z32SE

Year : 2003

Mileage : 256,000

At last! Maybe this is why my GSi has the strange and pant-filling characteristic where it tries to swap ends when driving at anything over about 45mph round a particular right-hand, off-camber bend near where I work. There are two deep lateral ruts, about 200m apart, right across one half of the road - an entire lane. When the car hits them, you can really feel the back end get very, very loose. It feels like the shock absorbers are upsetting the balance - the rears in particular are very firm indeed - but maybe it is these upper control arms, or just one shock absorber.

Glad it's not just my imagination!

I shall investigate. I am 8 months into a 12 month Network Poo "warranty," so we'll see... Better break out the wheel jack then...

Paul

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information