Thread: Brake pad wear alert

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Brake pad wear alert

Hi was wondering if anyone could advise how accurate the brake pad wear sensor is on a 53 2.0 Dti? After an emergency stop on Friday thanks to some idiot taking a bend on a country lane on my side of the road the wear indicator has shown up intermittently on three out of five journeys made since. It came on first immediately after the harsh braking. The odd thing is that i had some work done by Vx dealer two weeks ago and the "free" health check sheet they gave me at that time said the pads were at 80% on both sides (which I read as 80% full rather than 80% worn based on the mileage since the last service).

When I get a chance I'll take it in for a check but wondered if anyone had had similar?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Grand Sport

Trim : SRI VX-LINE NAV

Engine : 1.5T (165)

Year : 2018

Mileage : 37000

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu71 View Post
    Hi was wondering if anyone could advise how accurate the brake pad wear sensor is on a 53 2.0 Dti? After an emergency stop on Friday thanks to some idiot taking a bend on a country lane on my side of the road the wear indicator has shown up intermittently on three out of five journeys made since. It came on first immediately after the harsh braking. The odd thing is that i had some work done by Vx dealer two weeks ago and the "free" health check sheet they gave me at that time said the pads were at 80% on both sides (which I read as 80% full rather than 80% worn based on the mileage since the last service).

When I get a chance I'll take it in for a check but wondered if anyone had had similar?
    Maybe someone on here can help, but if you visually check the remaining thickness of the pads, (easy with alloys) you will see how much there is left. Don't know at what thickness the sensor is triggered. I remember on my old Astra, which didn't have sensors, I was told it was about 1\16 of an inch, and when those pads were changed at service, I was told they were like 2 ice-cream wafers!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

sensor is triggered at about 3mm.. so time to start thinking about a replacement of them. don't forget that you will also need a new sensor lead as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks - can't believe I've not even thought to look myself!! - I've become far too reliant on technology obviously

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ive just had mine replaced... was intermittent and it turned out to be a wire further up and not just the wear indicator cable!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Grand Sport

Trim : SRI VX-LINE NAV

Engine : 1.5T (165)

Year : 2018

Mileage : 37000

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    sensor is triggered at about 3mm.. so time to start thinking about a replacement of them. don't forget that you will also need a new sensor lead as well.

If my maths is right, then that means the sensor triggers at about 1\8th inch, in old money. Thanks Mark. hopefully mine will last till next service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well I visually checked the pads last night and there is at least 10mm all round so I am beginning to suspect it's the sensor / wire not the pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

right, well they are only £12 +vat..from VX, so it may just be as well to try a new one..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu71 View Post
    Hi was wondering if anyone could advise how accurate the brake pad wear sensor is on a 53 2.0 Dti? After an emergency stop on Friday thanks to some idiot taking a bend on a country lane on my side of the road the wear indicator has shown up intermittently on three out of five journeys made since. It came on first immediately after the harsh braking. The odd thing is that i had some work done by Vx dealer two weeks ago and the "free" health check sheet they gave me at that time said the pads were at 80% on both sides (which I read as 80% full rather than 80% worn based on the mileage since the last service)
    I'd go for a faulty wire rather than front brake pads worn
    It might be worth getting the car in for the wires to be replaced, although if you know there is at least 80% remaining you could cut the wires yourself, cross wire them, and tape them up

Strange they have put 80% as it is more common to put remaining brake pad in mm
    This suggests it was a visual check only

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    It might be worth getting the car in for the wires to be replaced, although if you know there is at least 80% remaining you could cut the wires yourself, cross wire them, and tape them up
    Thats no really a fix thou, as the car doesn't like that.. it still throws up a brake warning light as the wire is too short....

for the few quid that it is, just chuck a new lead at it..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information